Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 06:14   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Where to Buy Yanmar Injectors (and / or Other Parts) ?

I have googled and googled it, but I haven't found a good discount source of Yanmar parts. In particular, I want to change all my injectors and I would like to not pay the quite costly list price for them. But I have not been able to find the kind of discounted internet source that I would expect to exist.

The boat is in the UK, but I am often in other European countries and the US, and could even arrange for parts to be brought from the Far East.

I have a friend coming to visit from Japan in a week, if there is a good source there.

Any tips?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27   #2

Not sure about elsewhere, but in the USA Yanmar uses a system where they seem to give specific dealers a monopoly over a certain geographic area. They are not allowed to sell to a customer outside their area. This system pretty much guarantees poor service and high prices. This is reason enough not to buy a Yanmar engine if you have a choice.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:24   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Not sure about elsewhere, but in the USA Yanmar uses a system where they seem to give specific dealers a monopoly over a certain geographic area. They are not allowed to sell to a customer outside their area. This system pretty much guarantees poor service and high prices. This is reason enough not to buy a Yanmar engine if you have a choice.
Yep!

Have you tried farm equipment dealers. They are the same motors just not marinized.

Also injectors can be just cleaned & tested, most of the time, at a fraction of the cost.
Old 04-11-2010, 14:21   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Oh, crap. That confirms my worst fears.

I have a persistent problem with smoking (posted a couple times about it here). The injection pump was overhauled and pretty much every possible reason was eliminated. When we checked the injectors as part of the problem, it was found that some of the injector tips needed replacing. But they were not available then and we had to settle for ultrasonic cleaning which seemed to make them barely acceptable.

But now I'm getting back around to the injectors. The engineer who looked at the engine when I was having the recent problem (separate thread) said it's obviously overfueling and if injection pump has been done then it's got to be the injectors.

Since I have not spent the few thousand I expected to spend on that engine problem which I managed to fix myself (with a little help from the Forum!), I thought I would go ahead and just replace all the injectors, and keep the old ones for spares. Or at least the tips.

I just hate to pay the bloody ransom to the monopolist suppliers.
Old 04-11-2010, 14:47   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, who is the OEM manufacturer of the Yanmar fuel injection systems? Is it Bosch?
Old 01-08-2012, 16:29   #6

Boat: Soverel, sloop, 37ft
Re: Where to Buy Yanmar Injectors (and / or Other Parts) ?

shop.torreson.com/ships_store/index.php? Is a source of Yanmar injectors.
terrylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 16:35   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Did ya ck other injector shops?? some have a stock of tips for most all injectors for yammys and others ! Just a thought! Ive found them this way in the past !!
Old 01-08-2012, 16:39   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Did you guys notice that this thread is an old one?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar