Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 10:47   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
What's in Your Tank

I had problems comming down the coast from Oregon to SF. The fuel in my port tank clogged a fuel filter something horrible. I've been using the Starboard tank since then. (The starboard tank had easier access and I was able to put the access ports in and clean the tank.) Well last weekend I found the time to do the port tank. I didn't think it would be that dirty because of the srubbing that it had got comming down the coast with the rocking and rolling boat and the amount of sludge that was in the filter. Besides the starboard tank wasn't that bad.

I had to cut the floor out of the sink cabinet to access the tank. Then I measured carefully to figure out where the baffle was. I then took a 6" hole saw and made a hole as close to the center of the tank chamber as I could. It didn't look to bad.

I then cut another hole in the larger chamber and it was bad. Real Bad. because of the layout of the cabinets I couldn't center the hole in the larger chamber and it was hard to reach all the edges. I used Tilex (a multipurpose cleaner and scotch brite pads and practiced different yoga positions while blindly(Literally) feeling my way around the top bottom and sides of the tank. Then I'd get out of my Yoga position and look at where I had scrubbed with a flashlight. I also used waterless hand soap and a brush to hit the welds and wiped everything up with sponges and paper towels. Well it took me about 5 hours of yoga, scrubbing and then looking to get the tank in pretty good shape. From there I spent another three hours lining up the ports and getting them to work. They still aren't fully installed b/c I want to have another go around cleaning the tank a final time. Here are pictures of the tank before cleaning. When I go back down next weekend I will I will take pictures of the tanks when clean.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1220982317
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3597.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	805.2 KB
ID:	5029  

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote