Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2017, 13:47   #61

Boat: 1984 Moody 27
Re: What is the Name of the Tool to Remove this Nut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks but unfortunately this service manual makes no mention of this nut (and also not of a similar nut on the camshaft).

Interestingly the manual in the link does not include pages 41 & 42 which lists general and special tooling required. However I have seen other copies that do include these pages and again, nothing is mentioned about these nuts.
I didn't even notice the missing pages. Sorry it wasn't of any help. I compiled that PDF from individual uploads of the manual pages in jpg. If you find those two pages, send them to me and I'll recompile it so there's a complete manual for others that might need it.

Old 26-07-2017, 13:51   #62

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
That nut reminds me of the water meter off and on valve. not sure on size of nut, but these types of water meter wrenches are readily available at Lowes for example...

https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...RyirpAcmzptlM:
Brilliant, you may have IDed what may work. I guess the question is the length between the flats?

Old 26-07-2017, 17:14   #63

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Find a socket that will just fit over the nut and then two appropriately sized pieces of round bar. The bar sits inside the socket and engages on the flats of the nut to make a tight fit.
When you put torque on the socket the round bars will wedge in place and will take a fair bit of torque.
Otherwise just make up a square box spanner from some flat bar, drill a big hole across one end to put a bar into and go from there.

Regards,
Richard.
Old 26-07-2017, 18:05   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Then I'd call Yanmar to find out what they recommend.
X2, there has got to be Yanmar dealers in Australia! They can either remove it for you or tell you where to buy the tool.
Old 26-07-2017, 18:10   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
X2, there has got to be Yanmar dealers in Australia! They can either remove it for you or tell you where to buy the tool.
You guys just don't seem to realize that some folks just want to do it themselves, and don't want to pay Yanmar their (doubtlessly) high price for a tool to be used once only.

I'm totally with Wottie in this attitude. Sure, he could take the item to Yanmar's shop and they might get it off for him. They might also tell him to buy a new one, for that attitude is not unknown in such dealerships.

Hang in there, mate... you will prevail!

(fellow diyer) Jim
Old 26-07-2017, 18:32   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
You guys just don't seem to realize that some folks just want to do it themselves, and don't want to pay Yanmar their (doubtlessly) high price for a tool to be used once only.

I'm totally with Wottie in this attitude. Sure, he could take the item to Yanmar's shop and they might get it off for him. They might also tell him to buy a new one, for that attitude is not unknown in such dealerships.

Hang in there, mate... you will prevail!

(fellow diyer) Jim
I have no problem with folks doing it themselves Jim, but don't butcher up the part. Taking a chisel to it or trying to split the nut with a cutoff wheel is bad juju. A cut off wheel is going to either get into the bolt and/or pulley itself. Also ruining the nut may prove disastrous, as it may be a "special" thread. Never know what those crazy manufacturers might do. Building a tool is an option.
Old 27-07-2017, 00:42   #67

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Looking at the nut thread on the far side, close to the shaft end, I would say it is a L.H. (left hand) thread. Have you tried turning it in a clockwise direction, or are you stubbornly sticking to your notion it is a standard R.H. thread.
ps: I use the term 'stubbornly' as a complimentary term. ie; One who persists in his beliefs or endeavor.
Old 27-07-2017, 02:05   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

when i rebuilt a ysb8 i remember replacing the seals,and had the same problem as you removing the nut.

i removed the shaft,cog and pulley assembly from the front cover by undoing the 3 nuts on the bearing housing.

i then ,using a small workbench vice held the the nut sideways on in the teeth of the vice,which was small enough to fit inside the pulley, then turned the pulley with a stilson.

nut came undone fairly easily,then used a puller to remove the pulley.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10709.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	152763  
Old 27-07-2017, 03:55   #69
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
I didn't even notice the missing pages. Sorry it wasn't of any help. I compiled that PDF from individual uploads of the manual pages in jpg. If you find those two pages, send them to me and I'll recompile it so there's a complete manual for others that might need it.
I've got pages 32 to 48 as a pdf but I'm not smart enough to extract the two pages. If you PM me with an email address, I'll send to you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 04:08   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I have no problem with folks doing it themselves Jim, but don't butcher up the part. Taking a chisel to it or trying to split the nut with a cutoff wheel is bad juju. A cut off wheel is going to either get into the bolt and/or pulley itself. Also ruining the nut may prove disastrous, as it may be a "special" thread. Never know what those crazy manufacturers might do. Building a tool is an option.
Yes, I can't agree more regarding doing untoward damage, hence the thread to try and source the right tool for this nut, the shape of which I had not previously encountered and also not mentioned in otherwise very detailed Yanmar service manual.

I have always been a strong believer in using the right tool for every job; this job has caused a bit of head scratching .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-07-2017, 04:22   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IT'S APART

The special custom tool required turned out to be a combination of a bench vice, a 24" Stilson, a 15" Crescent, a 18" Crescent, 4' of water pipe and some chain and turnbuckle.

Job held in the vice, the Stilson was used to hold the pulley and shaft. The chain and turnbuckle kept the Stilison from moving. One Crescent to grip the nut and the other to turn the first Crescent with extra leverage supplied by the water pipe.

Took a surprising amount effort to get it to turn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Custom spanner.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	152774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom tools.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	152775  

Old 27-07-2017, 04:36   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FWIW, it was a standard RH thread and it wasn't rusted or otherwise seized. I can only assume it had been assembled with a high strength thread sealant given the amount of torque required to get it to undo. As you can see from the photos, it was very clean once undone.

I did do some damage to the nut last week with the first attempt when using a cold chisel but it will clean up OK once I tap the spur back and use a bit of metal set or similar to reshape the nut. At least the main torque surfaces aren't damaged. I could replace it with a hex nut as it is a standard metric thread but I'd rather keep the engine looking as original as possible.

Thanks to everyone who posted and I have picked some good tips on custom tool making along the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	No rust 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	152776   Click image for larger version

Name:	No rust 2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	152777  

Name:	No rust 3.jpg
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	152778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slight damage.jpg
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	152779  

Old 27-07-2017, 04:43   #73

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
I've got pages 32 to 48 as a pdf but I'm not smart enough to extract the two pages...
Glad it worked! I've been following this closely -- a thriller for the mechanically inclined.

Anyway, just for future reference, this free program is great for extracting PDF pages, or splitting or merging PDF files, or rotating pages.

https://www.pdfill.com/pdf_tools_free.html
Old 27-07-2017, 05:19   #74

Boat: Montevideo 43

Quote:
Is there an off-the-shelf tool that is correct for this style of nut; if so, what is it called? It is on a Yanmar YSE8.

You can see my cold chisel has proved ineffectual so far and I figured it was a good time to stop and reconsider my options. Penetrating oils, rust "dissolvers" and gentle heat have already been applied.

You will note that it is recessed into the pulley hub so a socket style tool seems appropriate. I'm not ready to buy some Yanmar specific tool but might have to consider making a custom tool if the CF gurus can't advise a better option.
If pulley turns clockwise when you look at it from the front, Then the thread may be lefthand.
Old 27-07-2017, 05:21   #75

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie Radiance View Post
If pulley turns clockwise when you look at it from the front, Then the thread may be lefthand.
It really pays to read the thread (pardon the expression) before commenting...

Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: