Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 11:20   #31
Registered User
 
SailingwithSoul's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York
Boat: In between boats
Posts: 215
Images: 2
Re: What happened to my diesel fuel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_float View Post
Did you get my last message?
Hi Aloha, i did and checked out the website. I'm going to see if I can order one of the smaller bottles. I cleaned out the tank as best I could. So far the engine runs, starts right up and work like a horse. I'm using the yellow diesel and it's been working great. Thanks you you advise and recommendations. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
It looks like someone added a can of frozen orange juice!
LOL...Unfortunately, it didn't taste quite as good.
__________________

__________________
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 08:57   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newport News VA
Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Posts: 829
Re: What happened to my diesel fuel??

since no inspection ports to clean it out, why not pump some E10 gasoline in there.
Then run a recirculating pump and filter to recyle the fuel over and over.
Pump it out and refill with diesel.

The e10 gasoline will kill any bugs and also clean the tank as ethanol is a great cleaner.
Then put the filtered fuel into your car. So little is wasted.
__________________

__________________
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 13:25   #33
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 132
Re: What happened to my diesel fuel??

Why not just get one or two 6 gallon outboard tank. Unless you’re doing long-range cruising you won’t use 6 gallons in a year just getting in and out of harbor. One of the big advantages is you can take it off the boat to get fuel that would keep the full. Most of them have a vent valve. Just my two cents, Mike.
__________________
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 13:41   #34
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Catalina Island, Ca. USA
Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent
Posts: 164
Re: What happened to my diesel fuel??

__________________
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 17:28   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Re: What happened to my diesel fuel??

you might want to disconnect the feed line to the engine and blow air back into the tank for an hour or so once you've added the new fuel. this does two things it cleans the lines and breaks the solids down do that a few times and it should help clean most all the tank since you can't get into it to clean it..you'll need an air compressor for that.... I never have had any of these problems but have done this on other boats. what I did to my boat was to add a third outlet line to an electric fuel pump with enough fuel line to go back to the tank fill and filter the fuel for 24 hours thru my racor then change the filter....If my boat sits for 5 or 6 months I do it again...sounds crazy but I have a clean tank and fuel
__________________
Captn Larry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 17:37   #36
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: What happened to my diesel fuel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mike View Post
Why not just get one or two 6 gallon outboard tank. Unless you’re doing long-range cruising you won’t use 6 gallons in a year just getting in and out of harbor. One of the big advantages is you can take it off the boat to get fuel that would keep the full. Most of them have a vent valve. Just my two cents, Mike.

Depends on where you live and where you want to sail, etc. For me, it's a 45 minute run at 6k to get out to the Gulf of Mexico, where I prefer to sail. I just used up 6 gal. of diesel in a couple of weeks.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 11:16   #37
Registered User
 
SailingwithSoul's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York
Boat: In between boats
Posts: 215
Images: 2
Re: What happened to my diesel fuel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mike View Post
Why not just get one or two 6 gallon outboard tank. Unless you’re doing long-range cruising you won’t use 6 gallons in a year just getting in and out of harbor. One of the big advantages is you can take it off the boat to get fuel that would keep the full. Most of them have a vent valve. Just my two cents, Mike.
Depending on the day, I usually have a 4-5 mile stretch of narrow channel I have to motor through, either leaving or coming back, but lways into the wind. I do use quite a bit of diesel during that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
Thank for the video. I'll check it out later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Larry B. View Post
you might want to disconnect the feed line to the engine and blow air back into the tank for an hour or so once you've added the new fuel. this does two things it cleans the lines and breaks the solids down do that a few times and it should help clean most all the tank since you can't get into it to clean it..you'll need an air compressor for that.... I never have had any of these problems but have done this on other boats. what I did to my boat was to add a third outlet line to an electric fuel pump with enough fuel line to go back to the tank fill and filter the fuel for 24 hours thru my racor then change the filter....If my boat sits for 5 or 6 months I do it again...sounds crazy but I have a clean tank and fuel
Those are pretty clever ideas. One question about using the air compressor. Won't I be shooting diesel out of the breather hose by doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Depends on where you live and where you want to sail, etc. For me, it's a 45 minute run at 6k to get out to the Gulf of Mexico, where I prefer to sail. I just used up 6 gal. of diesel in a couple of weeks.
Similar by me.
__________________
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 07:40   #38
Registered User
 
mbianka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,125
Images: 1
Re: What happened to my diesel fuel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That's what I was thinking... looks like iron and water...

Maybe I'm missing something, but ... how would that happen? Heavy weather thru a vent fitting, loose fill cap allowing a few drops in....
As Neil Young sings "rust never sleeps"! If I were Sailing with Soul I would empty the tank and invest in an inspection camera:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: TOOLS OF A SAILOR: INSPECTION CAMERA
to at least see what is going on inside the tank before spending any more $. He should be able to see if there is rusting going on inside. I know I was surprised when I looked inside my boats fuel tank:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: IN THE TANK: Part One, Scene of the grime!
even though I used a biocide religiously
__________________

__________________
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, fuel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.