Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20   #31

Boat: In between boats
Re: What happened to my diesel fuel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_float View Post
Did you get my last message?
Hi Aloha, i did and checked out the website. I'm going to see if I can order one of the smaller bottles. I cleaned out the tank as best I could. So far the engine runs, starts right up and work like a horse. I'm using the yellow diesel and it's been working great. Thanks you you advise and recommendations. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
It looks like someone added a can of frozen orange juice!
LOL...Unfortunately, it didn't taste quite as good.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 07:57   #32

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

since no inspection ports to clean it out, why not pump some E10 gasoline in there.
Then run a recirculating pump and filter to recyle the fuel over and over.
Pump it out and refill with diesel.

The e10 gasoline will kill any bugs and also clean the tank as ethanol is a great cleaner.
Then put the filtered fuel into your car. So little is wasted.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 12:25   #33

Why not just get one or two 6 gallon outboard tank. Unless you’re doing long-range cruising you won’t use 6 gallons in a year just getting in and out of harbor. One of the big advantages is you can take it off the boat to get fuel that would keep the full. Most of them have a vent valve. Just my two cents, Mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 12:41   #34
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 16:28   #35

you might want to disconnect the feed line to the engine and blow air back into the tank for an hour or so once you've added the new fuel. this does two things it cleans the lines and breaks the solids down do that a few times and it should help clean most all the tank since you can't get into it to clean it..you'll need an air compressor for that.... I never have had any of these problems but have done this on other boats. what I did to my boat was to add a third outlet line to an electric fuel pump with enough fuel line to go back to the tank fill and filter the fuel for 24 hours thru my racor then change the filter....If my boat sits for 5 or 6 months I do it again...sounds crazy but I have a clean tank and fuel
Captn Larry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 16:37   #36
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mike View Post
Why not just get one or two 6 gallon outboard tank. Unless you’re doing long-range cruising you won’t use 6 gallons in a year just getting in and out of harbor. One of the big advantages is you can take it off the boat to get fuel that would keep the full. Most of them have a vent valve. Just my two cents, Mike.

Depends on where you live and where you want to sail, etc. For me, it's a 45 minute run at 6k to get out to the Gulf of Mexico, where I prefer to sail. I just used up 6 gal. of diesel in a couple of weeks.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:16   #37

Boat: In between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mike View Post
Depending on the day, I usually have a 4-5 mile stretch of narrow channel I have to motor through, either leaving or coming back, but lways into the wind. I do use quite a bit of diesel during that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
Thank for the video. I'll check it out later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Larry B. View Post
you might want to disconnect the feed line to the engine and blow air back into the tank for an hour or so once you've added the new fuel. this does two things it cleans the lines and breaks the solids down do that a few times and it should help clean most all the tank since you can't get into it to clean it..you'll need an air compressor for that.... I never have had any of these problems but have done this on other boats. what I did to my boat was to add a third outlet line to an electric fuel pump with enough fuel line to go back to the tank fill and filter the fuel for 24 hours thru my racor then change the filter....If my boat sits for 5 or 6 months I do it again...sounds crazy but I have a clean tank and fuel
Those are pretty clever ideas. One question about using the air compressor. Won't I be shooting diesel out of the breather hose by doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Depends on where you live and where you want to sail, etc. For me, it's a 45 minute run at 6k to get out to the Gulf of Mexico, where I prefer to sail. I just used up 6 gal. of diesel in a couple of weeks.
Similar by me.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 06:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That's what I was thinking... looks like iron and water...

Maybe I'm missing something, but ... how would that happen? Heavy weather thru a vent fitting, loose fill cap allowing a few drops in....
As Neil Young sings "rust never sleeps"! If I were Sailing with Soul I would empty the tank and invest in an inspection camera:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: TOOLS OF A SAILOR: INSPECTION CAMERA
to at least see what is going on inside the tank before spending any more $. He should be able to see if there is rusting going on inside. I know I was surprised when I looked inside my boats fuel tank:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: IN THE TANK: Part One, Scene of the grime!
even though I used a biocide religiously

Tags
diesel, fuel