Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2018, 17:09   #1

what engine is this? Not charging batteries

Can anyone advise what make of engine this is? It's a 2 cylinder diesel. It doesn't seem to be charging the batteries and I think I need to replace the alternator. I'm not too familiar with engine maintenance and not sure where to start to fix this issue.

the engine has B6 and 238 lettering on the top

OZ-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 11:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: what engine is this? Not charging batteries

B6 is a casting number. There should be a serial number plate or stamped into the block near the head. No idea on the engine ask locals, no idea where you're from. Better id the engine and get a manual or you may not have a diesel for long. In the US, most auto parts stores will test your alternator for free (in the hopes you will buy a new one there). Otherwise, ebay is usually the cheapest place for alternators.
More info on the alternator like the brand, close pictures, might get replies from people that can help troubleshoot.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 12:18   #3

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

No idea on the engine, but curious about that blue stuff near your engine mounts. Hopefully they aren't disintegrating...
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 12:19   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Looks like a Universal/Kubota 5411, could be a Beta too, but Kubota is the base engine either way.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 20:29   #5

Thank you to all who have responded - as far as I can tell after more googling it is a Kubota/Universal 5411 (thank you jimbunyard).

Further googling reveals it can have either a dynamo or alternator and I'd be danged if I would know the difference, or where on the engine it would be to test and correct...

any assistance on this?
OZ-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 03:05   #6

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Your alternator is belt driven. In your first pic, the top right pulley. Check there
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 04:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

Same engine as I have universal atomic diesel that is really a kubota
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 05:20   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

You can download the manuals for it just type universal atomic diesel service manual there are two basic service manual and another one that covers a re build they are free
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 06:40   #9

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

The 5411 almost certainly has an alternator.

You can download any document from Westerbeke/Universal for free from their website

https://www.westerbeke.com/Category/...BF75E#techdocs

unfortunately the service manual says nothing about the alternator.

Not really a problem, though, because these are very simple engines with basic electrical systems.

If you have a voltmeter on your panel, if the engine is running, above 1200 rpm or so the voltage should read above 13, 13.5 to 14.1 would be considered normal.

If no voltmeter, you need a multimeter. Check the battery voltage while running as above, the voltages should be the same.

If no voltage at the battery, check the output at the alternator, again with the engine running, reading from the large post with the heavy gauge orange wire to ground. If you only have battery voltage, 12.5 or so, the alternator is not putting out. Next, check that the purple wire supplying power to the alternator, the exciter wire (because it 'excites' the field windings), has power when the ignition switch is on. If not, the alt won't charge. No power in, no power out.

Old electrical wiring is notorious for problems related to bad connections and corrosion. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Undo any multipin connections and clean and lubricate them before reassembly. Grounds are as important as 'hots'. It is often useful to bypass existing wires with jumpers to isolate problem circuits, though, unless you're familiar with basic DC wiring, results can be ambiguous, and care needs to be taken that you don't make things worse by doing this.

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 07:22   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: what engine is this? Not charging batteries

Remove the alternator and take it to a truck shop.. they will either fix it or replace with a similar type.
Had a charging problem on one of my boats once.. turned out I had burnt out something inside.. the engineer in the Azores attatched two pieces of wire to the alternator connecting both to a 12v bulb and created a temporary bypass to restore charging enabling me to continue to the Med.
Old systems have been known to blow if starting engine while still connected to shorepower.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, engine