Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2013, 00:09   #16

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I just removed the offending rod, piston and lifters. Ran fine for a year or so. Kinda loped along like a Harley motorbike. It was a four cylinder Kubota. Plugged the crank oil holes with a safety-wired screw. Stuck a fuel return line on the injector line.
Pics?

Sounds awesome
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 00:24   #17

Re: What do you do if you throw a rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
For $7 you can get a new , 3ym 20 hp Yanmar.
7 bucks! We get so ripped off in Aus! A 20hp Yanmar would cost thousands here!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 02:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
That may be the single most misleading statement that I've ever seen on sailnet.
You are not on sailnet. You're on CF.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 02:34   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

What do you do if you throw a rod? Try and catch it before it goes overboard, that's what!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-04-2013, 03:41   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok so you wish to purchase a 27 seidelmann with blown engine. first thing you do is go to craigs list for engines. ebay also has some. look long and hard and find something around 2-3 thousand usd for rebuilt. you want a 3 cyl yannie or a perkins or a beta or suzuki or something with a minimum of 30 hp that will push your boat.
you will neeed a good mechanic to install it with you.
you may need to re arrange the engine room a lot to fit the new engine into the space provided and you will need to align engine for use. you may need motor mounts.
not all engines have same mounts and need major re-arrangement of stringers and supports for engine mounts.
yannie will cost nearly 20k for new engine installed. a 2qm20h us 15000usd. 2qm is only 20 hp, too small for 37 ft boat of that weight.

i sailed a seidelamnn 37 for near year in gulf of mexico--they do need a good engine for propulsion.

electric propulsion for boats is still being tested, but does work--the overall cost of conversion, from what i have read and seen so far is 15000 usd. that is for engine--batteries are another item for purchase for this.

i bought my ketch with a blown engine--big hole in block, 2 bent rods and 2 befouled pistons.
. i found a decent engine and replaced the dead one and am fortunate. my new engine was 2500 usd.
installation was 3 loaves of bread.
i was fortunate.

consider the resale/market value for the seidelmann 37.
take off 10kusd for blown engine. is the boat still a good deal for you....
if so--find engine. find mechanic.

yes there are good ones in florida. you just need to find them. they hide.

i changed out my engine in my formosa while on a mooring--this can be done.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 03:58   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cpt Dave.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 04:26   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
7 bucks! We get so ripped off in Aus! A 20hp Yanmar would cost thousands here!

It's all those shipping costs.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 04:30   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok so you wish to purchase a 27 seidelmann with blown engine. first thing you do is go to craigs list for engines. ebay also has some. look long and hard and find something around 2-3 thousand usd for rebuilt. you want a 3 cyl yannie or a perkins or a beta or suzuki or something with a minimum of 30 hp that will push your boat.
you will neeed a good mechanic to install it with you.
you may need to re arrange the engine room a lot to fit the new engine into the space provided and you will need to align engine for use. you may need motor mounts.
not all engines have same mounts and need major re-arrangement of stringers and supports for engine mounts.
yannie will cost nearly 20k for new engine installed. a 2qm20h us 15000usd. 2qm is only 20 hp, too small for 37 ft boat of that weight.

i sailed a seidelamnn 37 for near year in gulf of mexico--they do need a good engine for propulsion.

electric propulsion for boats is still being tested, but does work--the overall cost of conversion, from what i have read and seen so far is 15000 usd. that is for engine--batteries are another item for purchase for this.

i bought my ketch with a blown engine--big hole in block, 2 bent rods and 2 befouled pistons.
. i found a decent engine and replaced the dead one and am fortunate. my new engine was 2500 usd.
installation was 3 loaves of bread.
i was fortunate.

consider the resale/market value for the seidelmann 37.
take off 10kusd for blown engine. is the boat still a good deal for you....
if so--find engine. find mechanic.

yes there are good ones in florida. you just need to find them. they hide.

i changed out my engine in my formosa while on a mooring--this can be done.

Wow. You really did well on that but I'm not so sure most people would.

You're right. Those good installers DO hide!

If this FL fellow is in west central FL he should email me. The guy who put my new engine is (I do not have Zee's extensive knowledge, experience, etc. -- much less 3 loaves of miracle bread -- smile -- and did not go that way) -- well, this guy is FANTASTIC, honest to a fault, incredibly clean (that really mattered to me; he was doing a huge amount of work *in my home*), list all the Boy Scout traits.

But he does hide. He doesn't even have a cell phone. Hard to get hold of but outstanding, reliable and ... ON TIME.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 04:35   #24
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I would try to buy new and be done with it.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 04:52   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
high efficiency 20hp electric motors are about $400 brand new, and require no maintenance.
True, but a 37' boat ought to have about a 10kw motor. I am thinking ME0913, and they run about $700. Then you want a good gen4 controller and that's another $500 to $800. The battery bank ought to be at least 48v and a minimum of 100ah, with twice as much preferred, so $1000 in batts for a modest setup, twice as much if you want to get medieval about it. 72v would be better for a boat over 35'. Without a marine transmission, a thrust bearing is needed... a bit over $100 for bearing alone and you make the housing, or about $300 for a ready to rock unit. Then while you don't need a mechanical reverse because the motor can run in reverse (some can't do that for long because the fan only blows one way) you still usually need between 1.5/1 to 3/1 reduction via gearbox, chain and sprocket, or belt. Add a 48v smart charger, DC/DC converter, 400w of solar and a windcharger, and maybe a small portable generator, and you have a bit more invested in electric propulsion than your $400 figure. Around 3k, typically, for a DIY type person. Still cheaper than a new Beta and indeed, less maintenance, but not $400, even for just the motor. And the diesel can run until your tanks are dry. The electric drive can run until your batts are nearly dead, but for longer battery life, you only draw them down to about 50%. Typically this will be about an hour as you approach hull speed, depending on about a dozen parameters such as hull size and weight, bottom condition, motor, reduction, and prop combo, and of course the size of the battery bank. Solar and wind won't keep up with the draw on the batts unless you are just idling along. Same with portable genset. You would want about a 15kw generator if you wanted to just run indefinitely. Electric is great for short runs, and fantastic for maneuvering in a harbor, and if you don't cruise under motor, it can work out well. But a diesel gives you the option to motor for days if you have the fuel capacity. Just sayin. I am a fan of electric and I will be going electric on my boat in a few months, but I will be the first to admit that while it can be pretty cheap, it isn't THAT cheap.

Pulling the old diesel and fuel tank sheds a lot of weight, but the batteries pretty much double the weight of the old plant. (the motor is only gonna be 30 to 100 lbs and the controller, charger, converter, etc are negligible) So thought has to be given to trim and stability issues.

Usually the old prop and shaft can be used, but a folding prop should probably be replaced, because a solid prop can (very very slowly) under ideal conditions, recharge the batts while under sail.

Me, I might go electric for that boat, depending on how it was to be used. Electric isn't for everyone. If you only use the prop to get in and out of the slip, I would rate electric much better than diesel or gas. But a new Beta isn't such a bad option, either. They seem to be good little engines, and most parts can be bought through the Kubota tractor dealerships, for way less than the same part for a pure marine engine. If the engine were to be seldom used, I might go with a used or rebuilt diesel just to have an engine, but there are dependability issues. A used engine is a time bomb. A new one, too, yeah, but the timer has already run down on the used one. A used engine of known low hours and well maintained might be okay. Rebuilt? Crap shoot. Too many members here have had them disintegrate after a few hundred hours. As with a used one, if you go with a rebuild you better know something about that particular engine and the man who did the work.

So my final recommendation is a new Beta. I has spoken.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:24   #26

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Installed my Beta 38 by myself ... no help whatsoever ... in remote Palau ... while at anchor ... from a rubber dinghy ... minimal tools ... took a couple of days ... no big deal. Friends at the YC bar helped me get the engine from the truck to the dinghy. Removing the old engine, cleaning and painting the engine room took weeks.
so you picked up 300lbs from the dinghy yourself and lifted onto your boat.
a video or it didn't happen.
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:33   #27

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Dave View Post
There is a boat that i want to buy and it is great condition for cheap. It's cheap because it has a motor with a broken rod apparently. It is a Yanmar 22HP engine. That's all i know.

Where do you guys buy rebuilt engines?
How much should i expect to pay for a rebuilt engine?

So far my research suggests around 4-7K for one but wanted to know if any of you had any experience shopping for motor replacement.

The boat is 1981 37' Seidelmann Sloop
How handy are you? Consider a jetski motor. For a diesel, here is a new 26hp perkins for $2200. also 300lbs..
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...atname=engines

nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
PLEASE don't pay $7k for a rebuilt engine -- or even $4. Please think about this -- diesel engines survive a very long time, and then they impale themselves and die.

I have friends who bought a rebuilt engine. Then, less than a year later, they bought a new one. For $7 you can get a new , 3ym 20 hp Yanmar. Installation would be about $3k here and you'd be set for life.
Friends dont let friends buy Yanmars! Get a Beta....
It may be possible to buy the piston, rod etc assy and fix your engine, although often a "thrown rod" means some other catastrophic damage. If it's just knocking you have a hope though. Does it have many hours?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:41   #29

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Our 1985 Lord Nelson 35 had a Yanmar 3hm35F.
Ran like a clock the whole time we had it except for a loose plug connection on the starter wiring harness which was easily fixed.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:45   #30

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If you engine is "busted", it is a good idea to look for another; do not repair it. Get a new or a slightly used one. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote