Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 10:19   #1

Boat: Fisksatra, Havsfidra I, 20'
What are these fittings?

September 4, 2015 at 1:39am in Electric Sailing

They were attached to either side of the ?stuffingbox? on my old Volvo MD1 diesel via narrow copper tubing. The starboard side one originated at a tiny fitting below the water line which was totally clogged with corrosion and ?? when I unhooked it. The other was on port and led from a grease fitting way up behind engine control panel. I was told by original owner to give it a turn every once in a while and repack with grease when cap had been turned all the way down. Can't say I was very faithful to his advice.Click image for larger version

Name:	closeupofoddfittings.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	108381

Click image for larger version

Name:	TinyFittingBelowWaterLine.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	108382

What did they do? Should I reconnect them when I have my electric motor installed?
opolily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:34   #2

Boat: Aquarius 23' and a 17' Kit bass boat
Re: What are these fittings?

Looks to be a #6 JIC fitting commonly used for hydraulic fittings.
mynameismud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: What are these fittings?

They are used to lubricate the bearing with sea water where natural flow isn't enough. Usually some of the cooling salt water is returned thru the stern bearings. My mains are setup this way. Most of the returning salt water goes out the exhaust, a copper 3/8" line goes to each bearing, and the remainder goes out near the engines.
Sometimes you see a pickup forward of the bearing housing forcing water thru by forward movement.
The grease helps lubricate the seal. Water pressure forces the grease against the seal where it contacts the shaft, increasing lubrication without much (if any) water coming thru the seal and greatly reduces shaft wear. It needs to be waterproof grease.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote