Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-09-2015, 10:50   #1

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
What antifreeze for winterizing diesel (Canada)

I have a volvo penta 2002. Great little engine.

For the past few years, I've winterized it by feeding a few jugs of 100 degree below zero antifreeze into the water intake hose....the BLUE stuff from west marine.

West marine is now gone from canada, and all I can find is 50 degree below zero plumbing antifreeze...the RED stuff.

Years ago, I used automotive radiator antifreeze...the super toxic GREEN stuff. We aren't supposed to use that anymore because it gets into the ecosystem (Lake Ontario).

Can anyone tell me what I can use to winterize my engine that I can buy in Canada? Is the RED stuff ok for the engine? I use it in the head, drinking water system, and bilge pumps.

I would ask other local owners, but I have an early haulout rapidly approaching. And for those of you in sundrenched tropics...yes, it will soon actually be 40 degrees below zero here in Canada.

Old 24-09-2015, 11:11   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: What antifreeze for winterizing diesel (Canada)

hamburking

All I use in the sea(lake) water portion is propylene glycol (the red, plumbing stuff) along with everyone else I know. I haven't heard of any problems yet. hardly gets much below -40C here in Kingston.

BTW I have a Volvo 2001

Old 24-09-2015, 11:27   #3

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Oh there are two types of this A/F, one for plastic only and one for metal and plastic. The one for metal is more expensive (of course) but both are good to -50C. You can get it a Canadian Tire.
Old 24-09-2015, 11:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

For the past few years we've been using the red plumbing stuff. Does the trick. The 50 below stuff is ok.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 12:48   #5

Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk

I assume you used the higher strength antifreeze because you were concerned about dilution from water already in the system. I'm not sure that's really an issue. Your goal is to prevent damage to your equipment, not to be able to use the pumps while they are winterized. Partial dilution of the AF may allow it to form a slush at extremely cold temps but your goal is simply to prevent it from freezing hard enough to cause any damage from expansion. I wouldn't worry about the -50 AF as long as you do a good job of flushing it in.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 14:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I also use the -50f plumbing system antifreeze in my Hino diesels with no problem. I feed in thru the strainer while the engine is idling until I have a good flow of pink out of the exhaust and then hit the kill button. It has gotten -20f here before but the boat is in the water year round with a kasco de-icer and I have pan heaters on the mains and the generator. I've done the same when it was hauled and in a unheated shop during the last winter for some work except no pan heaters. I'am on the upper Mississippi River and we can get several days of below 0f temps. Ok you can kick me now because I haven't went south for the winter months.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-09-2015, 15:35   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Years ago, I used automotive radiator antifreeze...the super toxic GREEN stuff. We aren't supposed to use that anymore because it gets into the ecosystem (Lake Ontario).
Urban legend, perpetuated by the folks that make PG and marine stores.

Both have effectively the same marine and freshwater toxicity, but don't believe me, read the MSDSs and the EPA report. Mammal toxicity and fish toxicity is very different, which should not be a big surprise (we use galvanized pipe and zinc is required nutrient, but zinc is deadly to fish). Do avoid using EG in potable water systems, but for engines and black water, it is better for the neoprene parts (you can look that up too).

PG (red stuff)
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927239
EG (automotive, now many colors)
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927167

Aquatic Toxicity
Both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol exhibit similar aquatic toxicity
characteristics. Acute and chronic tests have been performed for both glycols. Data were
Section 9.0 - Toxicity of Deicing/Anti-Icing Agents
9-3
acquired from several sources, particularly individual studies that performed similar tests on both
ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. Tests were performed on both freshwater and marine
aquatic life. Acute tests were performed to determine the lethal concentration for 50% of the
sample population (LC
) over a short period of time (48 to 96 hours). Chronic tests were
performed over a longer period of time (7 to 14 days).
Table 9-1 summarizes aquatic toxicity data from studies that directly compare
ethylene glycol and propylene glycol under the same or similar experimental conditions. In
general, the data show that ethylene glycol and propylene glycol exhibit aquatic toxicological
effects at concentrations within the same order of magnitude. Although EPA does not use such a
system, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Classification System for Acute Exposures defines
“relatively harmless” as any chemical with an LC
above 1,000 mg/L (3). The test results shown
in Table 9-1 indicate that ethylene glycol and propylene glycol may be classified as “relatively
harmless,” as defined by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 05:51   #8

Red stuff works, don't know if it is less toxic.
Kingston must have different weather than me a couple hours away from you. I've never seen -40 unless you include the wind chill. Wind chill doesn't effect your boat in terms of temp, only the actual air temp counts.
Probably hits -30 in Kingston once or twice a winter.
Not looking forward to getting up at 2am on those mornings! Life of a snow plow driver.

Tags
antifreeze, Canada, diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: