Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2011, 02:47   #31

Boat: (Sold 2018) 47' Alwoplast Crowther Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
By any chance do you have a schematic of the solenoid circuit? Check to see if there is a thermistor in the circuit. This is a longshot, but I have a tractor with a Yanmar motor, and a little $3 thermistor in the fuel shutoff solenoid circuit went bad. The thermistor controlled the voltage going to the solenoid in the initial few seconds to open it, when you need a fairly high current draw. This malfunction prevented the solenoid from opening, in my case, so the tractor wouldn't start. But in your case perhaps something similar could prevent shut-down. Like I said, a longshot, but maybe worth a look.
Doesn't seem to be any thermistors or diodes only the one relay which I may just replace even though it tests out as ok.

Rigged my pull cord up and it will not be that big of a deal for now to live with for a while. Thank you everyone for your ideas and comments. Really incredible. Happy sailing.

Sailor Vee with
Kay Syrah plus Bosun and Rio
Old 12-02-2011, 00:30   #32

Boat: Jeanneua 36
just on the solinoid subject,i have 2solanoids on my yamy,any body no why
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:11   #33

Boat: (Sold 2018) 47' Alwoplast Crowther Catamaran
Update for future readers who may search and find this series of posts on the subject of solenoid "failure"...after installing the pull cord and running for a few days I would naturally instinctively continue to try the "STOP" button at engine shut down. After several days of fairly calm sea conditions (read little bilge spray or slosh) the Stop button began to work again like a charm. Not intermittently but flawlessly. The biggest advantage of the answers in the forum was that really no one had heard of such a failure and that led me to believe that what I was experiencing was NOT what the mechanic had claimed but something else. So bottom line is that the problem I had experienced is clearly related to some sort of ground fault issue as Capngeo suggested.

Hats off to everyone for their help.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:07   #34

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'd suggest looking for a loose terminal somewhere on the motor. The shaking of the motor has probably established a better connection. Or vibrated the relay. IMHO

Enjoy...................................._/)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:17   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuff View Post
just on the solinoid subject,i have 2solanoids on my yamy,any body no why
I put a second on my perkins for the preheater. I don't know if that is what yours is.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mechanic, yanmar