Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 19:15   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195
Westerbeke W30 Raw water pump

Hello all,
I am the relatively new owner of a wonderful old Allied Seawind 2 equipped with the "mighty" W30. After stamping out a few demons associated with the Balmar alternator consuming belts at a prodigious rate, I am left with one more engine room project. That being the alignment of the raw water pulley with the crank sheave. No matter how I approach this, I can't achieve better than a 3/16 parallel offset alignment between the crank and the Jabsco water pump pulley. Angular alignment is good. Since the mounting bracket for the water pump itself is non adjustable, the only way I see to achieve proper alignment is to runout the pulley on the water pump shaft--which then leads to the pulley bore being no longer completely on the shaft.
The belt manufacturers, namely Gates indicates in their engineering documents that this amount of difference is within limits, but I am still generating some dust in this area as a result. Does anyone have any ideas concerning alternate pulleys that might be available?
Thanks
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 19:18   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Hello fellow seawind II owner!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 20:40   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Westerbeke W30 Raw water pump

Ya might try a adjustable belt tensioner from another engine, there are serveral on serveral brands of marine, truck, even autos that would work for your engine, might take a little looking and a little haywire LOL but ive done this for a couple of customers who put BIG alternators, and such on there engines and needed a little extra belt pressure! Just a thought
Old 09-05-2012, 14:57   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195

The tension is not the problem. It is the offset of the two pulleys that is proving troublesome. I think that the only real fix is to elongate the holes of the water pump so as to allow for a perfect alignment. Over the course of the last 33 years there must have been some small change in the hole pattern of the Jabsco pump mounting bracket.
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 16:01   #5
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I have a W30 and it seems to eat belts a bit quickly. Not the raw water though, only the alternator, fresh water. One thing I noticed is if you dont run it for a while the pullys rust. Then it takes a few running hours to buff them smooth again. The raw pump belt only needs a tiny bit of tension, less the better and it will last a lot longer. I keep mine allmost loose, it's a very low torque pump. It shouldn't hurt anything to press the pully off just a tad for alignment. The alt belt is a different story. It needs to be tight and will wear belts, make dust. I carry several dayco 15375 belts and change when needed, maybe twice year. Your dust might be from the alt belt, when it gets loose the tach acts up.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 16:25   #6
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I forgot to ask, what is it doing that requires it to be changed? I've done 6 alt belts and only one raw water since I bought it, but I'v put 1500 hrs on it in 18 months. I thought about going serp belt, but $1000 buys a lot of belts.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, raw water pump, water, westerbeke