Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 22:49   #1

Westerbeke voltage/lift pump issue.

Hi

I am trying to find a solution to a problem I’m having with a Westerbeke 60Hz, 7.5KVA gasoline generator on our boat.

The problem arose after we ran out of fuel. But now there is fuel again it is not reaching carburetors and therefore the engine will not start.

I did some investigation to try and locate where the problem is and found that the lift pump is not receiving a constant supply of 12V; fuel therefore reaches the lift pump but does not come out the other side. When I connect the 12V battery directly to the lift pump fuel is pumped all the way through to the carburetors, however when trying to start the engine normally the voltage reaching the lift pump spikes to 12V then drops to 8V.

Things I also checked:
> There are no blockages in the fuel lines anywhere, nor are there any blockages in fuel intake of the carburetors themselves.
> The battery is not flat (we run all the 12V systems on the boat from it with no issues, and when wired directly to the pump it powers it at a constant 12V).
> The engine turns over fine and the air intake is working fine also.
> On inspection I don’t see any obvious frayed or damaged wires.

Any ideas as to a possible solution would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
James
MRF James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:23   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Westerbeke voltage/lift pump issue.

Couldn't find a Westerbeke 60Hz, 7.5KVA gasoline generator. Need to know model number.

If you have a 7.2 BCTGC generator, check the K2 relay, and try resetting the 25A circuit breaker a few times.

Other than that, without knowing what you have, it's just the regular things, check connections for tightness and corrosion.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, James.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Couldn't find a Westerbeke 60Hz, 7.5KVA gasoline generator. Need to know model number.

If you have a 7.2 BCTGC generator, check the K2 relay, and try resetting the 25A circuit breaker a few times.

Other than that, without knowing what you have, it's just the regular things, check connections for tightness and corrosion.
Hey guys

Thanks for the quick responses.

Im currently outstationed at work. Ill get the model number once im back on wednesday.

Regards,
James
MRF James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, westerbeke