We ended up being able to get the pan out. After the last bolt was removed
We did find very thin silver slivers of metal in the oil pan. They were NOT bronze/copper in color and the mechanic couldn't say what they were. We do change our oil on time and besides the oil issue and the transmission
leak it starts easy, doesn't smoke, and runs very well.
At some point, the engine
had been worked on. In addition to the gasket, there was sealant
all around parts
of the pan. Indeed, they had cut the gasket at critical locations to get it to fit. The mechanic correctly pointed out that this should not have been done. They also failed to seal some of the bolts that go all the way though and could cause oil to leak around them.
We are also replacing the front and the rear seals
... the rear seal was especially bad... didn't realize it was so bad until we got it apart. Unfortunately, with this particular engine you need to remove quite a bit of the rear engine, including the bell housing, to get to the seal. I'm hoping we never have to replace the seal again.
It is nice to be able to reach places we have not been able to reach to clean up. While we are in there we plan on cleaning
the engine itself, all around the engine, and into the bilge
(again). Replace all the engine hoses. Then we will paint
with Bilgekote, which seems to make it much easier to clean in the future, install a large bilge pump
(4000 GPH), new bilge pump
switch (ultrapump sr), new larger diameter bilge
hose, and a new larger bilge through-hull. Also replacing the damper plate....
That loud sound you heard was me falling over in disgust.