Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2019, 12:42   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
westerbeke parts

looking for Westerbeke diesel engine parts supplier besides official authorized dealer for lower prices.
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 13:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: westerbeke parts

No such luck. These people are parasites. They go to great lengths to hide the manufacturer of their parts. They even created a wierd mount for a standard Sherwood pump and then modified the Sherwood unit so it could not be replaced with an aftermarket Sherwood. They just hit me for $350 for a 20" hose 2" ID on one end and 1.5" on the other. I could not find the Mitsubishi part number otherwise it would have been about $50.

Your best bet is to find who actually made that engine, what the real model number is and then try to track down aftermarket parts.
Old 19-05-2019, 13:51   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

I researched the engine manufacturer used by Westerbeke. In my case it was a Mazda Truck engine. Once I figured out what engine I had, I buy the appropriate truck part. There are relatively few Westerbeke specific parts on my engine.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 14:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

What Boatpoker and Pitchondesign said. I didn't figure out which Mitsubishi block is used for my Westerbeke W58 but after a lot of googling I did figure out it was the same block as a Perkins 4.154. Since the 4.154 was used in a lot of tractors and Bobcats and such the parts are available through a lot of different channels and for a fraction.

Example, the fresh water pump from Westerbeke is a two piece unit, the insert that has the vanes, shaft and seal and the large cast iron housing. The insert from Westerbeke almost $300 (although I checked recently and see the list price has dropped to just over $200). From a tractor dealer in Iowa I got the Perkins part for $89.00.

The water pump">raw water pump is a standard Sherwood pump except the price from Westerbeke is double what you can buy the exact same pump if you can figure out which one.

Other parts are similar in the markups. And that is why if I ever repower the boat Westerbeke will be at the bottom of the list for engines I consider.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 14:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No such luck. These people are parasites. They go to great lengths to hide the manufacturer of their parts. They even created a wierd mount for a standard Sherwood pump and then modified the Sherwood unit so it could not be replaced with an aftermarket Sherwood. They just hit me for $350 for a 20" hose 2" ID on one end and 1.5" on the other. I could not find the Mitsubishi part number otherwise it would have been about $50.

Your best bet is to find who actually made that engine, what the real model number is and then try to track down aftermarket parts.
There are several hoses like that on my Westerbeke; either different diameters on the ends or with a weird bend or twist so you can't use a standard bit of hose without kinking it.

I have thought about researching how to make an elbow or other kind of bent hose to get around this. Do you know if that's possible?
Old 19-05-2019, 14:47   #6

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I took my westerbeke 46 hose to a radiator shop and chose one of theirs that had same size with comparable bends as mine. Cut off the rest and used it. Anyone know which make is like my westerbeke?
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 14:48   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
There are several hoses like that on my Westerbeke; either different diameters on the ends or with a weird bend or twist so you can't use a standard bit of hose without kinking it.

I have thought about researching how to make an elbow or other kind of bent hose to get around this. Do you know if that's possible?
There are "spiral inserts" on the market that you can insert in a hose, enabling to bend it without kinking it.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 14:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Probably. I thought of buying copper elbows and straight hose but I just don't like that cobbled together look on my engine.
Old 19-05-2019, 14:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

The hose I replaced for $350 was punctured by a bolt on the engine and a second bolt head was half way through. I had to buy PVC pipe and make chafe guards so it soesn't happen again.
Old 19-05-2019, 14:58   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrauer View Post
I took my westerbeke 46 hose to a radiator shop and chose one of theirs that had same size with comparable bends as mine. Cut off the rest and used it. Anyone know which make is like my westerbeke?

A lot of times you can take the hose to an auto parts store and just compare it with all the hoses they have hanging up, your not looking for an exact match necessarily, your looking for a section of the new hose that matches what you have, and cut off the rest.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 15:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The hose I replaced for $350 was punctured by a bolt on the engine and a second bolt head was half way through. I had to buy PVC pipe and make chafe guards so it soesn't happen again.
Sounds like the same genius that designed the hose routing on my engine did yours.

On mine there is a hose fitting on the bottom of the header tank that feeds the water pump on the front of the block BUT the alternator and raw water pump are in the way.

So the hose goes straight down from the header tank to the bottom of the block, turns 90 degrees and goes forward under the motor mount with about 1/2" clearance between the hose, the block and the mount. Then makes another 90 turn under and behind the main pulley on the crank shaft and then another 90 up to the water pump.

At least they did use a piece of pipe instead of hose but I needed to move the pipe out of the way to access the oil pan and discovered the pipe is held in place by a bracket that's behind the main pulley which would have to be removed. I discovered during that process that while they did put a piece of hose around the pipe where it passes under the motor mount to prevent it from chafing through, the hose also held water and the pipe was almost corroded through.
Old 19-05-2019, 16:55   #12

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
looking for Westerbeke diesel engine parts supplier besides official authorized dealer for lower prices.
thanks
I have a ton of westerbeke parts i am trying to sell. I also have my old 46 that i'm trying to sell on facebook.

I won't part out the engine but I will sell the parts if you send me an IM.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 17:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I have a ton of westerbeke parts i am trying to sell. I also have my old 46 that i'm trying to sell on facebook.

I won't part out the engine but I will sell the parts if you send me an IM.
=============================================
is a Westerbeke 30B around 2007?
Old 19-05-2019, 17:11   #14

[QUOTE=skipmac;2892111]What Boatpoker and Pitchondesign said. I didn't figure out which Mitsubishi block is used for my Westerbeke W58 but after a lot of googling I did figure out it was the same block as a Perkins 4.154. Since the 4.154 was used in a lot of tractors and Bobcats and such the parts are available through a lot of different channels and for a fraction.

The raw water pump is a standard Sherwood pump except the price from Westerbeke is double what you can buy the exact same pump if you can figure

=========================================
just replaced my raw water pump $ 400!!!!
Old 19-05-2019, 17:20   #15

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Tried buying the Napa equivalent oil filter. Everything is perfect except wont screw on. Westerbeke price $12.50 Napa price $4.75 Sigh
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, westerbeke