Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 18:34   #1

Question Westerbeke/Kubota crossover

I am trying to find rings, bearings and head gasket for a
engine used by Westerbeke that I think is a Kubota Diesel. Westerbeke's designator is 30 B 3 ,but it appears to be a
D1005E Kubota or something close. Can anyone help me identify this block? Westerbeke parts prices are astronomical for a sailor on a tight budget.

TIA
R.W.
R.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 19:32   #2

How old is this 30B3? you shouldn't need all this yet in the life of these engines.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 20:03   #3

I'm salvaging a boat from the huricanes, that the engine has been under but in good condition. I want to do the bottom end to bring it up to like new and one of the cyl / bearings and rings looks questionable so I want to do them all.
R.W.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:47   #4

now it make sense. The 30B3 is to new to have just worn out. From what I know it's not a Kubota but rather a Mistubishi.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:21   #5

Question

Well maybe I'm getting closer. Anyone know what Mitsubishi engine model it might be?

R.W
Old 10-06-2007, 10:03   #6

Sorry, no help there. i'm a Westerbeke dealer and wnat you to use OE parts.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I suggest you use the OE parts. There are soemtimes subtile differences. Maybe maybe not, but sometimes. It could help reduce a lot of frustration and if you bought from Pat, then you have him to call on for advice.
Hehe, we in the engien word down here have a saying. Never buy a Diesel that starts with M. But then, that is smaller vehicle engines. Bitsamissing...I mean...Mitsubishi make great truck motors.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 16:49   #8

Of course Pat wants you to buy OEM, they cost 4X what a Mitsubishi part cost. I recently replaced a starter solenoid on a 12.5 BEG generator that Westerbeke wanted $107.00 for, with a generic part for $17.00 (Dealer cost). The replacement part came from a friend in the starter/alternator business who knew how to identify the replacement part. Fit, form and function is the same.
toocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 17:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool
Of course Pat wants you to buy OEM, they cost 4X what a Mitsubishi part cost. I recently replaced a starter solenoid on a 12.5 BEG generator that Westerbeke wanted $107.00 for, with a generic part for $17.00 (Dealer cost). The replacement part came from a friend in the starter/alternator business who knew how to identify the replacement part. Fit, form and function is the same.
Thats not a good comparison.
A starter is a generic item. Internal engine parts are a different story. If I had a good supplier and could exactly identify the engine in question, yes I would go with a manufacturer direct part. If I'm unsure of the cross over...I'm going to pick what I know is correct and KNOW that it's correct.
Old 11-06-2007, 17:54   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport
The bigest trouble is that you are dealing with Westerbeke who will not stand behind any of their products. I know.
clsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 17:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsailor
The bigest trouble is that you are dealing with Westerbeke who will not stand behind any of their products. I know.
I'm sorry, your post doesn't add anything of value to the discussion.

I believe the topic at hand is what engine is the 30B3 built on...I can't answer it.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:44   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Exactly as Pat suggests, R.W. is looking for “cyl / bearings and rings” - not exactly bolt-on accessories.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 13:06   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Of course Pat wants you to buy OEM, they cost 4X what a Mitsubishi part cost.
That is a totaly unhelpful and misleading post. You are comparing apples to oranges. It would be more accurate in saying, that the company selling you the AM parts happend to be cheaper than the company selling you the genuine parts.
I can gaurentee you that if you went genuine Mitsi parts down here, they would cost you far more than genuine westerbeke parts. That doesn't mean mitsi are ripping anyone off. It depends on the parts supply structure.
And besides, without you knowing what Pat would personaly charge for the genuine parts, your statement is hearsay and inflamatory.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 20:27   #14

Thanks Guys, for the input but I think I have identified it to which Mitsub. it is. Besides all the rest, I understand and have plastigage and feelers in SAE & Metric. I appreciate your understanding............
Old 16-06-2008, 11:51   #15

Boat: Bombay PH 31
so,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W. View Post
Thanks Guys, for the input but I think I have identified it to which Mitsub. it is. Besides all the rest, I understand and have plastigage and feelers in SAE & Metric. I appreciate your understanding............
So,
What is it??
I have a Vetus ML-310 and am trying to match up the Miuibishi KD3 block for part numbers with westerbeke who also uses the block
Vetus wants $2,741.50 for the exhaust manifold
Thanks
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke