I have a Westerbeke
46 that is based upon a Mitsubishi block that hunts really bad between 600 and 1000 rpm
in a Pearson 365
. It also sounds like it diesels more than it should over idle.
- The engine
does not smoke at all, and appears to run smartly above 11K rpm
- The engine
starts right away with no more than 10 seconds on the glow.
- The hunt or miss is constant with temperature and actually gets a little worse at op temp.
- There seems to be some flutter in the gauges, I suspect corrosion
in the wiring
or bad alternator
. But most likely unrelated.
- Valves were adjusted
- Cold compression
test showed #2 about 65# less and just under spec.
- Test bleed off each injector showed no noticeable fuel delivery
issue. They all sounded the same.
- There does not seem to be any excessive blow by.
- The engine is a 1985 model and has 624 hours. The prior owner repowered with it in 1992 when it had about 250 total hours on it and stated it has always run that way. I have never seen one hunt and miss like this and actually noisier than a 4-108.
- No loss of antifreeze
- Replaced the motor
I am told that the most likely suspect would be a leaky valve or head gasket
. Would a leaky valve not create more smoke? And where the head gasket
was leaking would be a mystery since none in antifreeze
If the head gasket was leaking between cylinders, would that also be more indicative by noise/smoke and compression
difference in the two?
I saw another post with someone else having issues like this, but never found what the resolution was.
HELP! It is driving me crazy.