Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2018, 07:01   #1

Westerbeke generator SITUATION

Had a situation with our 15kw westerbeke a couple of weeks ago that we thought was resolved. It had been having starting issues, starting but shutting down as soon as start switch was released. Mechanic determined high pressure fuel pump and injectors were suspects. We had them serviced and mechanic hooked everything back up. Problem seemed to be solved. Next day the generator started but not a full rpms. Mechanic returned and of course it started right up st full rpms. Later that day started with weak rpms, day after full rpms once and low rpms the rest of the day. Mechanic said to bypass the racor filter and go directly to clean fuel from jerrycan. Started up full rpms. TWICE. Then back to weak rpms. Of course it Saturday and no mechanics available. Any ideas? We are so frustrated.
suemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:05   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Westerbeke generator SITUATION

Have you checked the low pressure electric fuel pump for a screen/filter and proper operation?

How many hours? It may be cheaper just to replace the electric lift pump rather than screw around diagnosing it anyway.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:34   #3

Thanks for the quick reply Sailmonkey. 5000 hrs. Westerbeke BTDB 15kw. Our fuel lift pump is a square type with no filter element in it.
Old 20-01-2018, 08:54   #4

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I have an older WB 8kw. Not sure how old yours is but if it has the plunger for the fuel cut-off then sometimes it can stick and not fully engage. It's deceiving on mine as it appears fully engaged but not always quite there. I have to shove it all the way home sometimes. Actually replaced it at one point but didn't help.

Any smoking after warmed up?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 09:37   #5

Thanks for the reply Exile. No smoke. Is older and did sit for too long. But the thought was the injectors and high pressure fuel pump celandine g and service addressed those issues. Seems so weird that the rpms are low most of the time but NOT all of the time since the pump and injectors were re-installled.
Old 20-01-2018, 10:08   #6

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemw View Post
Thanks for the reply Exile. No smoke. Is older and did sit for too long. But the thought was the injectors and high pressure fuel pump celandine g and service addressed those issues. Seems so weird that the rpms are low most of the time but NOT all of the time since the pump and injectors were re-installled.
If it's older unit then the fast idle mechanism (when loads are applied) is probably mechanical like mine. Any relationship re: RPM & load vs. no-load? And you checked the plunger? I just went through a lot of troubleshooting & maint. on mine (incl. injectors) so thought I'd try & help, but there are far more expert posters around here who will hopefully respond. Fingers crossed for you that it's not the high-pressure pump! $$$
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 10:12   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

How low is low? I have the same generator, also about 5,000 hrs. It could be fuel related, or speed controller. The speed controller circuit operates a variable solenoid which pushes the throttle. If the throttle is open and the engine is running slow, it's fuel. If the throttle is closed and running slow, it's the speed control system. You can manually operate the throttle to get a sense of whether the engine is responding. Mine has a panel which shows the frequency. In my case it's a 60hz generator. Frequency is directly related to engine speed. This generator can run at either 50 or 60hz.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 11:21   #8

Hello again Pichondesign! Ours is the 60hz. It’s funny. When it runs at full rpms the throttle is a 1/4 inch away from hitting the frame of the high pressure pump. When it is at the low rpms, which is low...maybe 800-100rpms, the throttle actually hits the frame.
Old 20-01-2018, 12:46   #9

So... The speed controller is doing it's job. It's trying to max the throttle to get the rpm's up. So that's not the problem. It's fuel related. On a friend's boat the main engine was losing rpm. He tried all the standard stuff. Ultimately found out there was a blockage at the fuel pickup in the tank. He blew out the line from the engine. Ran fine after that. Also decided to polish his fuel and tank. Just a thought.
Old 20-01-2018, 12:51   #10

Had another fuel related issue. One of the hose clamps was loose on the suction side of the fuel pump. Caused it to suck air as well as fuel. Tightened the hose clamp, problem fixed. Took forever to track it down.
Old 20-01-2018, 12:56   #11

Do you think something could have gone wrong at the injector and high pressure fuel pump shop? Or in the re-install?
Old 20-01-2018, 13:53   #12

I doubt the overhaul shop screwed up. Mostly their main business is diesel trucks, which are tough customers. Possibly something happened on the reinstall, but unlikely. Look for the simple stuff.
Old 20-01-2018, 14:09   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Sounds like a pickup tube/filter clog or air in the system. Sometimes under suction, the tank pickup will draw debris that can plug the tube. But when engine is shut down, small amounts of fuel returns to the tank, clearing the plug. I've also see that in filters after the lift pump.
A small hole or air leak before the lift pump can starve the injector pump for fuel. Check hose clamps and the whole fuel line. Especially for places where the line might rub. I had that problem in one of the mains about 10 hours after I bought the boat. It had rubbed a very small hole in a copper fuel line that allowed the pump to draw in air, but fuel didn't come out when the engine was down. It only happened at higher rpm. The engine ran fine at 1000 rpm or below. I found the leak by pressurizing the line.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 14:31   #14

Pitchondesign, since you have the same engine I’m wondering if you think it could possibly have something to do with the electronic governor system?

Lepke, if we had air wouldn’t it run rough? We’ve cracked all the injectors and there is plenty of fuel. Pickup tube is clear. We run fuel off a brand new day tank. The fuel,is polished before the day tank, racor after the day tank and then electric pump to fuel filter.
Thinking it must have something to do with electronic governoring system. Or actuator linkage. Ughhhh
Old 20-01-2018, 14:51   #15

It starts right up and runs beautifully...not shaking or hunting and it sounds smooth, just not at proper rpms. The throttle level is full open at the low rpms. When we manually move the throttle lever back and forth we get no increase in rpms but we do get a decrease when it’s pulled back. And as mentioned above, when it dose start st full throttle ( one time out of 20), the throttle is not fully opened.

Tags
generator, westerbeke