Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 08:05   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Westerbeke Fuel-Shutoff Solenoid

I was just buying spares for my westerbeke 55b - starter solenoid, glowplug solenoid, glowplug, injector, and fuel lift pump. All of these parts were around 50-200 bucks each.

I was surprised when I saw another solenoid, the "fuel shutoff solenoid", for _500_ bucks!!!

What's this one about, and does anyone think I should be carrying a spare? I've had diesels with a simple mechanical shutoff before, I'm assuming this is just an electronic version of it (which is why I can just turn my key to shut the engine off?) Is it normally shut and switching on the key opens it? Maybe if this is the case, and the thing needs to stay energized the whole time the engine is running, explains why its so damned expensive.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:48   #2

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Re: Westerbeke Fuel-shutoff solenoid

If its the selnoid I am thinking it it. Look to see if there is a manual screw. If there is one maybe no need for a spare if money is a issue. Just have to bottom out the screw to get the motor to start and back it out to kill the fuel. Only for a emergency or loss of key.

Theres also the question if it did fail how long could it take and how much more could it be when it is needed if it will have you stranded if it fails and there is no way to bypass it.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 20:48   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Westerbeke Fuel-Shutoff Solenoid

Looked at it a little bit, seems that the 55B, C and D are all based on a Kubota engine. I rebuilt a little Phasor/Kubota generator at the beginning of the year and it appears to have had the same integral injection/alarm system.

The solenoid should really be called a fuel run solenoid, because the oil pressure must be high enough and the temperature low enough for the solenoid to activate and pull the fuel rack into the run position. And it does stay energized all the time the engine is on. Low oil pressure or high temperature deactivates the solenoid, killing the engine.

I could run the little Kubota generator without the solenoid activated by holding the fuel lever in, but from what I could see in the Westerbeke manual, there is no way to do that on your engine.

There may be, but if there isn't, if the solenoid goes bad the engine won't run.

The service manual is available here:

http://www.westerbeke.com/OnlineManu...r_Tech_Man.pdf

the pertinent pages are 35, 44 and 61.

You can often buy the same parts at substantially reduced prices at a tractor or ag equipment dealer

Maybe somebody with experience with your specific engine can add something.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 09:18   #4

I was told by Westerbeke that the 55b/c/d are based on an Isuzu engine, although for whatever bizarre reason the guy on the phone couldn't find out exactly which.. That'd be a nice thing to know...
Old 14-07-2014, 09:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
I was told by Westerbeke that the 55b/c/d are based on an Isuzu engine, although for whatever bizarre reason the guy on the phone couldn't find out exactly which.. That'd be a nice thing to know...
Many times boaters tend to forget the power of a Google search.

For our Kubota engines from Universal, many of our boating associations have listed the block equivalents - wow there's a good phrase for you to use for starters.

Good luck, happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 10:52   #6

Many times boaters overestimate the availability of certain model-specific information on the internet.

Although the phrase "Block Equivalent" might help. Thanks!!!
Old 05-02-2016, 17:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Been searching on line all day and have not been able to find out if the Westerbeke 55B really is an Izuzu and if so is there an equivalent parts list ?
Old 05-02-2016, 19:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Look to see who made the injector pump. Usually they fit many brands and models. Then search for that injector pump. My Onan (Cummings) uses a Stanadyne and the same stop solenoid on a industrial engine was less than 1/2 price.
They do fail. I go to distant places and I carry a spare. Mine was only $50 on Ebay. That's a good place for new or used spares.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 19:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Thanks, thats a start.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:12   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Definitely Isuzu based: Westerbeke

From: Isuzu Diesel Engines - 4L-Series Product I'd guess a 4L model. You need to find the Model and serial number on the block. It will be on a plate or scribed in somewhere on the block. You need to look close, as sometimes this is hidden from view by other components bolted to the engine. I needed an inspection camera to get the serial number from my WB W46. From the info on the block, you should be able to figure out which model of the 4L you have. Then get a parts manual for that Isuzu engine.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, westerbeke