Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 17:19   #106

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Westerbeke 46 rear seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
This totally blows....

These are the things people don't take into account when listing all available options... It's like a giant snowball...

1. Lay days add up faster than nerds at a comic book convention
2. Anxiety of paying for non productive lay days causes:
3. Finding anything else that can be done... = More $$$

Let us know how it goes... I still have a few guys at the ready to make a seal housing.... Guessing $2-300 max
The problem is having a rubber seal vulcanized to the metal housing. If I could find an appropriate seal, which does not exist because its proprietary design, I could have the seal vulcanized to the existing metal housing.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 05:12   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The problem is having a rubber seal vulcanized to the metal housing. If I could find an appropriate seal, which does not exist because its proprietary design, I could have the seal vulcanized to the existing metal housing.
This is a "ditch your housing" route... Or grab a short length of bbb and make yerself some "gantsa saila" bling...

It was a machine a new housing and press fit a std seal...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 08:06   #108

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Several posts back, it seems I remember you saying that you had an aftermarket gasket kit with front and rear crank seals that didn't work. Just curious, if you pulled the rubber part out of the steel part of the rear seal, will the seal supplied with the aftermarket kit press into it? I've seen (and done) more, uh, creative things in the past...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:19   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Several posts back, it seems I remember you saying that you had an aftermarket gasket kit with front and rear crank seals that didn't work. Just curious, if you pulled the rubber part out of the steel part of the rear seal, will the seal supplied with the aftermarket kit press into it? I've seen (and done) more, uh, creative things in the past...
Yes, we do have that rear seal. However, you cannot just press in a new seal. As can be seen in the attached photo the flange of the metal portion of the seal has the rubber part vulcanized to it. So the rubberized portion has both an internal round part and flat part.

In possibly good news... I received an overnight shipping notice yesterday from the company that I said did not come through! UPS indicates that they tried delivering it this morning but the yard is closed so they will try again Monday! I'm not the praying type but I am wishing very very hard that this is the right part!

If not, we still have a westerbeke part in route in a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-07 13.05.53.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	90719  
Old 03-11-2014, 09:21   #110

I have in my hand an OEM seal! Its been confirmed by our mechanic as being the correct seal.

Interestingly, the guy I ordered it from sent me two seals: a seal with same size and ID number as the old seal and a 2nd seal with a larger internal dimension and a different seal ID number accompanied by a shaft sleeve.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:28   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I have in my hand an OEM seal! Its been confirmed by our mechanic as being the correct seal.

Interestingly, the guy I ordered it from sent me two seals: a seal with same size and ID number as the old seal and a 2nd seal with a larger internal dimension and a different seal ID number accompanied by a shaft sleeve.
At last. So, does that mean the party is back on?

And if I may ask, how much did they ding you for the seal? Was the second (incorrect) one free?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40   #112

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:

AWESOME !!!!

So after all that and knowing what you know now, if you were starting all over at the beginning of your refit, would you re-power with a new engine or rebuild the old one.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:36   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
AWESOME !!!!

So after all that and knowing what you know now, if you were starting all over at the beginning of your refit, would you re-power with a new engine or rebuild the old one.
If not for the oil leak, the engine still runs great. Starts right up without any issues. Doesn't make smoke, doesn't over heat, etc.

So, as tempting as it sounds to just bite the bullet and get a new engine if I were to go back, its still 1/3 of a new engine with plenty of hours left to go. It took 27 years to get up to 3000 hours and now I have all the hard to find parts, except a new lift pump (ah cr*p now that I said that I better get one). I even have all my solenoids, a new wiring harness, all new second set of gaskets, etc.

I would probably have hauled the engine completely out and rebuilt it from the bottom up when we first bought the boat.

But, no, I don't think a repower would be in order - I have other things that need attention, like new sails.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:47   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
At last. So, does that mean the party is back on?

And if I may ask, how much did they ding you for the seal? Was the second (incorrect) one free?
Here's the deal. They are not only behind on their shipping but two to three weeks behind on their billing. The original price quoted was $346, which is $200 less than westerbeke.

Most westerbeke parts are usually painted red and are enclosed in a westerbeke plastic bag with a nice westerbeke part number sticker on it. These parts are painted mitsubishi grey and did not come in a bag. Nor was there any parts listing included.

My bet? They have some place to get the right mitsubishi parts, match them up with westerbeke parts, and sell them basically as aftermarket solutions, playing arbitrage between the full WB price and the Mitsu part. Of course, I could be full of it and "it just is"

Anyhow, I am not complaining.
Old 03-11-2014, 13:33   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here's the deal. They are not only behind on their shipping but two to three weeks behind on their billing. The original price quoted was $346, which is $200 less than westerbeke.

Most westerbeke parts are usually painted red and are enclosed in a westerbeke plastic bag with a nice westerbeke part number sticker on it. These parts are painted mitsubishi grey and did not come in a bag. Nor was there any parts listing included.

My bet? They have some place to get the right mitsubishi parts, match them up with westerbeke parts, and sell them basically as aftermarket solutions, playing arbitrage between the full WB price and the Mitsu part. Of course, I could be full of it and "it just is"

Anyhow, I am not complaining.
That was the deal on the fresh water pump I purchased. Bare metal part from a tractor store was $90. Add red paint and put Westerbeke on the plastic bag, the exact same pump $230 list, discounted might save $30-50. Never knew red paint and plastic bags cost so much.

In your situation I think you're stuck and just have to take what you can get.
Old 03-11-2014, 13:54   #116

Yep, and the 2nd part is still a good part, so I will probably keep it. I didn't request two parts, so how would be know to send to parts unless the kit came with all three parts. Maybe they just made a mistake.

In any case, I am not complaining, I'll keep the 2nd part because its still a good part if we are in need of sleeving the crankshaft.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Oh man...

What a Fee - Ass - Co.... With a happy ending.... (non intended)

Glad things worked out, as much of a pain as it was...

Bravo on your persistence and patience...

No go sailing dammit....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 18:18   #118

Seriously. My wife and I finished up the painting, engine/trans getting put back in next week... time to go! Its getting cold here in STA.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:44   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Seriously. My wife and I finished up the painting, engine/trans getting put back in next week... time to go! Its getting cold here in STA.
It was in the high forties in north Florida this morning. Yes it is time to head south. At least you had a successful end to your quest for the seal.
Old 11-11-2014, 19:54   #120

The gold, platinum, and diamond studded oil seal has been installed. Engine will be done tomorrow!

Tags
westerbeke