Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 07:44   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pearson 35, 1974
Westerbeke 30B Air in fuel symptom

My 30B starts great and runs great then at random lengths of time, shuts down. It re-starts easily. At the same time this problem surfaces, my engine alarm is erratic, squeals while running at times, doesn't squeal at other times after I shut off engine. I have changed Racor filter and filter on engine. I have cut the hoses and re-clamped them with double clamps. The fuel appears clean in the bowl. I place a 1-gallon fuel can above the fuel filter and ran from that, seems better but still shuts down. RPM's are not steady at idle. It may run 30 minutes before becoming erratic. Seems to not shut down at long periods of idle. My next step is change all the hoses.

I appreciate an ideas! Thank. I am in Costa Rica and have not found a reliable diesel mechanic.
jungleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 14:36   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Westerbeke 30B Air in fuel symptom

First guess, you have a tiny air leak in fuel system. Does the rpm change on its own just before shutdown?

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 05:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pearson 35, 1974
Re: Westerbeke 30B Air in fuel symptom

You were correct. Yes it did waver before shutdown. It would waver and putter then quit. However, I think I found the problem. I started replacing all the lines and removed the one coming from the tank. It was difficult to pull off or cut off but I could unscrew the nipple. I have never seen this before. It was a check valve built into the nipple that was stuck in near closed position. The boat is 40 years old. Either I replaced a hose with a leak or the check valve was the problem but now it appears to be fixed.

I still have my electrical problem with the alarm. I had a water leak at the ignition panel and that gear would get wet in rain. I suspect something there.

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate your help!
jungleboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, westerbeke