Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 07:51   #1

Westerbeke 11A-1 Water Pump Rebuild Kit, HELP!

Hi,

My first post to this fantastic forum.

So, I bought a Tartan 27 last month with a repowered Westerbeke 11A-1 (2002). Water pump was dripping slightly, 30 drops a minute. Now, it is up to 160 drops per minute. I found a local marina that sells parts for diesels and they said that Westerbeke can ship them a rebuild kit, but it will take 3 weeks. Does anyone know a quicker way to get parts for my Westerbeke?

Also, if you are familiar with the 11A, I removed the water pump cover plate, gasket, and impeller. Then I removed the two screws that hold the water pump on the engine, but it would not pull free, though lose. Is there a snap ring inside the engine that needs to be removed? I see there is an engine cover with a few screws that I can remove to get to the snap ring, but I am cautious because I haven't worked on a diesel before.

Finally, does anyone have any idea where to get a shop manual for this Westerbeke. I have an owners manual that is useful for operating it, but not for repairing it.

Thanks,

Alan Gilmore
Baltimore
agilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 18:50   #2

Boat: Farr 1020
Re: Westerbeke 11A-1 Water Pump Rebuild Kit, HELP!

Hi Alan
Do you know the make of the pump, it will not be made by Westerbeke. The Johnson pump casing should just pull off once the two retaining bolts are removed. reasons for difficulty can be shaft wear at the contact point of the lip seals behind the pump case. You just need to riggle it about retaining removal pressure to get it off.

If the pump drive shaft is grooved at the seal contact point the shaft needs to be replaced with the seals as well as the pump overhaul.

Cheers
Acushla
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 04:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 10:12   #4

Thank you for the thoughts:

Lots of wiggling did not loosen the water pump. I removed the six bolts on the front casing and removed it. Inside was a gear on the water pump shaft, and it was held on by a snap ring. I removed the snap ring, the gear slid off, and the shaft was free!

FYI: The three week lead time for the pump (Jabsco) has turned into five and a half, and still counting. At this point I am not going to hold my breath.

Alan
agilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 15:45   #5

Boat: Farr 1020

Alan
while you have the pump off take a look at the wear on the back face of the pump casing to see if it needs to be skimmed up before rebuilding. If it does you will need to remove the same amount of material from the flange face to retain the casing depth and impeller end face fit.
Was the shaft condition OK or do you need to replace the shaft as well?

Acushla
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild, water, westerbeke