Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 08:25   #1

Westerbeake 40 or Perkins 108

, hey guys I bought a older sailboat it has a westerbeke 40 my question is where do I find parts and or do they even make parts anymore I've also done some research and found that some guy say that it's the same as 108 Perkins I need stuff like oil pan hoses Heat exchangers also would like to know is this a good motor to be replacing these parts and sail from Canada down to the Bahamas... or should I be looking for something new thanks a lot guys. I attached a picture of the engine tag.
Joelbabin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181206-083059_Gallery.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	181786  
Joelbabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:34   #2

Re: Westerbeake 40 or Perkins 108

Westerbeke did use some 4-107 ot 108's in their line. Not sure which are which though, but I bet someone who knows will pipe up here. I think Westerbeke did their own heat exchangers and peripheral items though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:50   #3

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

There is a parts supplier in the uk. I don't know the name I'm afraid. But, the reason I don't know the name is that I've never yet needed to buy genuine parts. Had the engine for 11 years and have been waiting for it to explode since day 1. Thirty thousand sea miles later and 3/4 of the way around the world and it is still holding up. Heat exchanger hose clamps onto the back of the engine so use any heat exchanger. Hoses are generic. Sometimes it is necessary to get a part fabricated from scratch but this has, for me, has so far been much cheaper than buying the genuine part and easier to source.

It is nearly the same as the Perkins but not identical so be careful about buying the Perkins part without checking first that it is the same on the westerbeke. I'm referring mainly to the external stuff. The guts of the engine are the same I believe.

Sorry I can't be of more use by telling you exactly what you asked for but I hope there's something useful there. My advice is stick with it. Our W40 leaks oil and occasionally develops a new noise but so far so good. I change the oil religiously, clean the heat exchanger once a year, make sure the zinc is always in good shape, change the fuel filters when necessary and the impeller, set the tappet clearances occasionally and so far no major issues. Fingers are crossed that it will stay that way!
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:22   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

My 4108 has some Westerbeake parts on it — the coolant reservoir and perhaps the whole cooling system is stamped Westerbeake. But my block is plated as a Perkins 4108.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:57   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Parts4engines.com (uk) and Trans Atlantic Diesel. Good luck with the oil pan. Hoses as mentioned are generic, even the oil/tranny braided lines.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 17:24   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

According to Westerbeke it's a 4107, but that may or may not be the actual case. Though the serial number may help if you contact Westerbeke, probably the only way to be sure is to measure the connecting rods, which on the 4107 are .188" longer than on the 4108. At least according to the Perkins manual...

As for the engine itself, it certainly has a long, generally good reputation, though somewhat leaky, and it is very heavy compared to more modern engines. There are plenty still around, so even if you can't find a 'marine' part, all of the other parts are available in either genuine new, aftermarket or used from a large variety of sources.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1w.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	181816  
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 18:01   #7

something the people tend to forget about
is the Perkins also put these engines in bobcats
I think the 4,154 was used in the 820 series bobcats
the 4.154 was also used in the light truck engine by Mazda in the early 80. the B2200.

while not the exact same engine...lots of parts are the same..
just time time and effort to sort them out.
I like parts4engines.com

if it runs..keep it running..its most likely better made than new engines.
my wifs 2.8l diesel in her jeep. a VM2.8..178K miles..2 timing belts. new head studs.1 turbo. one injector pump. added a pressure lift pump. remove the EGR at 50kmiles...will it go 500kmiles? I don't have any hopes..my older cummins 24v..500kmiles..if I can keep the coolant leaks in check( from the rust belt). and oil in it..1000kmiles might be challenge..600k..easy..fyi I think is about 3000hrs per 100kmiles..so 18-20khrs.. something to think about if you wonder about how long diesels can..should last..

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:18   #8

Boat: Camano 41

As dkenny64 says, Perkins were used all over the world, as generators, Case tractors, power plants etc. Parts are available all over the world, but the marine parts are a little bit specialized. In Canada, my parts came from the Cummins dealer.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:37   #9

I have 4-108 parts as well as W40. Many 4-107 parts are usable too, just depends. What parts do you need and I can check.
CaptainRobb Westfield, NY
CaptainRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:53   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

I ordered stuff this summer for mine ( oil cooler hoses, etc) and it's all available .. the parts catalog is on my work pc , but I could send it to you Monday if you want - let me know!
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:08   #11

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

They are all Perkins engines some with Westerbeke added parts 107 and 108 mostly interchangeable 107 wet sleeved 108 dry sleeved check serial number stamped by injector pump mount. the Westerbeke 40 may be a 108 or 107 heavy old not very fuel efficient engines but very simple and reliable 10000 hours life common 20000 possible.
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:20   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
According to Westerbeke it's a 4107, but that may or may not be the actual case. Though the serial number may help if you contact Westerbeke, probably the only way to be sure is to measure the connecting rods, which on the 4107 are .188" longer than on the 4108. At least according to the Perkins manual...

As for the engine itself, it certainly has a long, generally good reputation, though somewhat leaky, and it is very heavy compared to more modern engines. There are plenty still around, so even if you can't find a 'marine' part, all of the other parts are available in either genuine new, aftermarket or used from a large variety of sources.

Good research.....always wonder why posters in forums are so adverse to going to the horse's mouth, so to speak, and call the manufacturers, first?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:14   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

Somewhere cast into the engine block is the Perkins engine number. Maybe it is under the Westerbeke plate. The engine number tells you the model, where and when the block was cast. I knew a sailor with one of these engines and the workshop manual was the same as my Perkins manual with a different cover. The Perkins manual tells you where the engine number is and how to decode it. There is also a Perkins parts manual. The engine number decode might be there and not the workshop manual. I replaced my 4-108 with a Beta 50 in 2003 so my memory is faded.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:39   #14

Boat: Shannon 38

I have the Westerbeke engine in a 39 year old Shannon 38 and have had to get replacement parts on several occasions. Initially I bought them from Hansen Marine, the Westerbeke dealer in Massachusetts. I no longer do so for a variety of reasons. In the first instance I found that I could buy the same parts, some with the Westerbeke name and others with Perkins name form Transatlantic Diesel (TAD) at much much lower prices, once 80% less than requested from Hansen Marine for the same part. Last year I ordered a wiring harness from Hansen and they sent me a part that was the wrong part. I returned the part and still have not gotten a refund. They are telling me that they never received it and denied the refund. either Janet or Sherry at TAD will help you figure out what you need and get it to you promptly at a fair price.
Good luck
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 13:23   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Joel-
Westerbleak [sic] never actually made engines. They just put out contract bids for engines of a certain size, and then they bought the blocks and accessories from different contracted vendors, assembled them, and slapped gobs of red paint all over them.
IIRC that "Westerbeake 40" is a Perkins engine, but you'd want to ask around to make certain of what the engine really is and what the differences might be. Hunt online, the question have been asked and answered in many places. Spares are still out there, and last time I heard, the fuel system uses a number of crush washers at the bleed points. If you are not familiar with those? Buy a box of a couple dozen, because they are "use once then replace" and whatever size you need, will never be in stock when you need them.
Perkins engines are considered to be obsolete old behemoths--but also incredibly loyal servants, than will go on forever with just routine maintenance, worldwide.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins