Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2017, 10:45   #1

Boat: 1970 Columbia 36
water temp switch

I'm making a new control panel for my 1970 Columbia 36 and would like to add a engine temp light. I have a gauge but also want a light to come on if it overheats thinking that it would get my attention instead of not knowing until I look at the gauge (which is in a spot that is hard to see). I've been looking for water temp switched but don't know what temp I should get or where to get one. I have a 1980s universal diesel, maybe m21 or m25. I'm thinking 1/8" npf would work for the threads. Anyone have suggestions or even a part number that would work. Thanks
whatknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 13:51   #2

Re: water temp switch

Scroll down about 6 or 7 posts for " eng. alarm switches" ........just what you are looking for.....

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 15:20   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatknot View Post
......... I've been looking for water temp switched but don't know what temp I should get or where to get one. I have a 1980s universal diesel, maybe m21 or m25. I'm thinking 1/8" npf would work for the threads. Anyone have suggestions or even a part number that would work. Thanks
I don't know your engine but be aware that raw water cooled engines run much much cooler than coolant cooled engines (heat exchanger etc). Raw water temp switches operate around 60 C.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 16:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Here you go, these guys will have what you need.
Exhaust, Engine Monitors : AQUALARM, Warning Systems For Land And Sea

200F seems like a pretty common point to set an engine overheat alarm.
Old 26-08-2017, 07:24   #5

Boat: 1970 Columbia 36

Thanks for the replies. Going to search aqua marine tonight when I get back to the boat.
whatknot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water