Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 18:33   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
Water Lift Flow Problem

After some rough sailing there is no water flow through the exhaust when you start the engine. I remove the outlet hose from the heat exchanger and get some flow, re-connect the hose and all is well. I have checked the hoses and the vented loop and all is well. The engine temp is fine when water is flowing. The amount of water coming from the exhaust seems normal when the system is working. The salt water pump has a new impeller and cam.
This problem is new this for this cruise.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 18:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: water lift flow problem

VARMETS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
After some rough sailing there is no water flow through the exhaust when you start the engine. I remove the outlet hose from the heat exchanger and get some flow, re-connect the hose and all is well. I have checked the hoses and the vented loop and all is well. The engine temp is fine when water is flowing. The amount of water coming from the exhaust seems normal when the system is working. The salt water pump has a new impeller and cam.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:10   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This is odd. I just read about something similar with the Sydney Hobart in 1998. In the interview they reckoned the engine overheated as the pickup point was sucking air from time to time during the big waves.

When I read that I thought it was highly improbable, I would have thought the raw water pump would have self primed again practically instantly, but could this be the case for you? When you say "rough sailing" is it possible the boat is healing over enough to suck air in to the pickup and if so, does this stop the water flow until you effectively bleed it again by removing the outlet hose and thus removing a bit of the head or some minor back pressure?

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:52   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

Put some vaseline or silicone grease on the impeller and see if that helps. Raw water pumps can definitely loose prime (personal experience).
Old 11-12-2013, 05:42   #5
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Hmm. I learn something new every day. Never would have thought that could happen.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:45   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Loss of prime. Check the strainer next time to see if it's full.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:22   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Those are all good points. As I think back on this, the strainer has been empty during these episodes. If I crack the bowl it fills immediately but I'm not sure the system starts pumping right away until remove a hose downstream. My thinking was if the strainer can get water that was not the problem but maybe the pump is loosing prime and if I just waited a moment the system would have started pumping.
Could this be caused by a leaking gasket in the strainer? There is no sign of any water leak but perhaps air could be getting in?
I'm not sure the boat was rolling enough to uncover the inlet as it is pretty far down, but maybe.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:14   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Water Lift Flow Problem

Had similar symptoms some years ago, and the culprit for us turned out to be a worn cover plate on the vane pump. Reversing the cover (at least on that particular Johnson pump) gave a fresh surface, and the symptoms disappeared.

Just another thing to check...

Good luck

Jim

Tags
lift, water