Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-06-2015, 11:55   #16

Boat: C&C 34, 34 feet
Re: Water leaking from engine behind impeller

It probably is the seals and impeller shaft may be scored. I agree that you would be better off replacing the pump. It looks like the cover has already be reversed and its badly worn.

These pumps are expensive unfortunately.

Old 15-06-2015, 12:50   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Such an excessively worn pump plate could indicate other problems...like shaft/bearing issues...in which case just replacing the seal wont fix the problem for long and may mask more significant problems.

Old 15-06-2015, 12:56   #18

If the seals and bearings are leaking, water may find its way into the engine oil. That would not be good!
Old 15-06-2015, 22:01   #19

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

I recently had problems on the water pump">raw water pump on my YGM3. After replacing the impeller and seal and plate, water was dripping from seep hole in the shaft assembly between the pump and block. Taking it apart again, I found the shaft was galled, bearing was bad, and the seal over the shaft was worn out. It took a new pump to repair.
Old 16-06-2015, 03:59   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Don't take any chances with your raw water pump. Hose connection looks suspicious. Could be a lip seal. Replace all bolts & washers. Best thing is to buy a new pump. I have rebuilt pumps but never a Yanmar. Last one was a Jabsco 5850. They want a lot of money for the seals but you can get them for a fraction of the cost if you know where to look. I also bought a Super Seal faceplate that is fastened by knurled knobs and has an O ring rather than those damn gaskets, which I love. Mine is much more difficult to access than yours is so it really helps on my Lehman 2711e.
Good luck.
Old 16-06-2015, 06:01   #21

There are 3 seals on most pumps. The flat gasket on the cover that you saw the PO change when he changed the impeller. The there is the lip seal on the shaft made of river with a spring that you remove with any kind of hooked tool that you have, and then another lip seal on the shaft going into the bearing/drive section.

IF the leak is not from the weep hole, see other folks posts. IF it is from the weep hole, then
Old 16-06-2015, 06:18   #22

There are 3 seals on most pumps. The flat gasket on the cover that you saw the PO change when he changed the impeller. Then there is the lip seal on the shaft to keep the water in the pump. It's made of rubber with a spring around the shaft that you remove with any kind of small hooked tool that you have, and then another lip seal on the shaft going into the bearing/drive section.

IF the leak is not from the weep hole, see other folks posts. IF it is from the weep hole, then replace the shaft seal.

If it continues now with a very slight leak, then the shaft has been scored by the lip seal. The next time you are ready to mess with it again, Remove the pump, check the bearings (free, no wiggle), install a speedi- sleeve on to the shaft (available at bearing shops or online for $20), replace both lip seals (since it's apart), and reinstall or use as your spare.

And if the bearings are bad, just drop it in the trash as you're now spending more than the replacement.
Old 16-06-2015, 11:22   #23

When I removed the shaft from my Jabsco, it shattered. Shaft alone was about $100. Still cheaper than a new one if you don't count labor.
Old 17-06-2015, 05:26   #24

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey1012 View Post
Thanks all. I watched the PO replace the impeller and seal when I took ownership of the boat so I'll investigate the hose more around the area to see if that's the problem.

See SeaSon's post about three seals.

If you watched your PO changing impeller, that would usually be associated with the faceplate seal, gasket, or o-ring... NOT the shaft seals that other folks are taking about here.

-Chris
Old 17-06-2015, 05:50   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

New pump, cheaper than a new engine. Rebuild the old one and keep it as a spare.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 14:01   #26

Hard to tell what it is without being there. I see evidence of face plate leaking but could also be hose leaking. The key is he said "behind the impeller". I replaced the gasket in the faceplate three times once only to find it was the lip seal that was leaking through the weep hole and dripping down from the face plate. Position of pump made that hard to see without taking other things apart. This pump is much more exposed. Might be more than one leak seeing the condition of the pump.
Old 17-06-2015, 16:33   #27

Boat: 1983 Hunter 27'

I won't be able to get back to the boat to check things out based on all the comments, but if it is a problem with the water pump seals, it seems like a 'don't use the engine until you've fixed it' sort of problem?

The leak only just started and I had hoped to go out this weekend, but sounds like that might be pushing my luck?
Old 17-06-2015, 17:03   #28

Replace impeller and gasket. Redo the hose connection (maybe cut a little of that hose off) and check it again. You might get lucky. Water follows some unusual paths. Maybe double clamp the hose connection which is always a good idea anyway. Might also be the pump gasket itself.
Old 17-06-2015, 17:45   #29

If water is leaking into the oil it will emulsify and turn the oil a milky Color immediately.

Run the engine in gear and under load at the dock before you leave. Shut down and check the oil. If it's turning milky, the pump has to come off and you need to change the oil at least twice.

There usually are two seals, one on the engine side and one on the impeller side of the weep hole. Once the seal leaks it only gets worse and the pump may not make enough pressure to cool the engine.

It's a gamble, but if you keep a close eye on it you may be able to get out for the weekend.
Old 17-06-2015, 17:51   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey1012 View Post
I won't be able to get back to the boat to check things out based on all the comments, but if it is a problem with the water pump seals, it seems like a 'don't use the engine until you've fixed it' sort of problem?

The leak only just started and I had hoped to go out this weekend, but sounds like that might be pushing my luck?
A minor leak of the raw water seal is not typically big deal. A short weekend excursion should not be a problem.

Make sure adequate cooling water is discharging from the exhaust and closely monitor the leak and engine temp closely while the engine is running to make sure it does not get worse. You should stay relatively close to port in case it does.

As long as adequate cooling water is flowing its OK. In theory the seal could fail catastrophically and effect cooling water flow, but I've never had one do that.

Alternatively, changing the seal, or the entire pump, is not a big job...either could be knocked out in an hour easily with the right tools, parts, and experience on hand...still leaving plenty of time for a weekend excursion.

Tags
engine, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: