Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 10:59   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Water Injection Elbow

Does anyone know how easy it is to make a water injection elbow for the exhaust? What I've got now is some Rube Goldberg affair. It just seems that they are an elbow with a pipe welded down into them pointing downstream. Does anyone have direct knowledge and not just speculation?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 13:57   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Water Injection Elbow

Aloha Martin,
I can provide a photo of mine. It is a stainless 2" pipe with 30 degree or so bend with a 1" pipe welded on it pointing down hill much as you described.
It's been so long since I got it that I can't remember what I paid to have it shipped.
Here's a factory photo of the engine with the injection elbow coming from a Bowman heat exchanger.

Old 28-11-2011, 14:03   #3

Thanks John...What I currently have is a funky 4 bolt flange to a flexible bellows type SS tube. You can guess how long that will last! So I will buy a 45 degree elbow and weld a 1" downhill tube into it. As you can guess...I just got the engine back.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 28-11-2011, 14:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Thanks John...What I currently have is a funky 4 bolt flange to a flexible bellows type SS tube. You can guess how long that will last! So I will buy a 45 degree elbow and weld a 1" downhill tube into it. As you can guess...I just got the engine back.
What kind of motor is it? Our boat had a Perkins M50 in it with a four bolt flange into a flex pipe then a water injection. The one on the motor lasted 20 years. From the looks of how it was made, no back siphoning could ever occur.

The spare looked like this:
Old 28-11-2011, 14:15   #5

The only problem you will find is that above the water injection bend the exhaust will be at a temperature that could cause a fire. A number of manufacturers specify a double wall injection bend that goes right up to the manifold. This keeps the full exhaust system cool. If you fit a single wall bend with an injection feed, then you need to lag the upstream part of the exhaust manifold. This is the reason why the correct part is so expensive.
russcannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:16   #6

On our new motor with a factory high rise exhaust you can see the setup in this photo:
Old 28-11-2011, 14:27   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Don't forget the siphon break and it is always best to have an upward bend in the exhaust and then downward before the water injection. As mentioned above and shown in the picture, the exhaust from the manifold to the injection port must be lagged.

There are a number of threads on this forum that describe in detail how people have built injection elbows.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcannell View Post
The only problem you will find is that above the water injection bend the exhaust will be at a temperature that could cause a fire. A number of manufacturers specify a double wall injection bend that goes right up to the manifold. This keeps the full exhaust system cool. If you fit a single wall bend with an injection feed, then you need to lag the upstream part of the exhaust manifold. This is the reason why the correct part is so expensive.
What do you mean by lag? My Yanmar was not double wall or my Perkins or Volvo.
Old 28-11-2011, 14:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Don't forget the siphon break and it is always best to have an upward bend in the exhaust and then downward before the water injection. As mentioned above and shown in the picture, the exhaust from the manifold to the injection port must be lagged.

There are a number of threads on this forum that describe in detail how people have built injection elbows.
Much like Targets picture I assume
Old 28-11-2011, 14:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
What kind of motor is it? Our boat had a Perkins M50 in it with a four bolt flange into a flex pipe then a water injection. The one on the motor lasted 20 years. From the looks of how it was made, no back siphoning could ever occur.

The spare looked like this:
Yes...the flex bellows looks like that. The one in the picture lasted 20 years? My engine is a Mitsubishi based Westerbeke W46
Old 28-11-2011, 14:43   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Much like Targets picture I assume
Yes. I'm not sure of the need for the bellows type section if the hose from injection elbow to muffler is flexible, and I'm sure most are.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:44   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

If you are in the process of making one use aluminium rather than stainless. Stainless tends to corode through where the salt water hits the hot metal.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yes...the flex bellows looks like that. The one in the picture lasted 20 years? My engine is a Mitsubishi based Westerbeke W46

No, this is a spare that was on board when we pulled the old motor, but there was one attached to the motor that was near identical. I went through the ship's maintenance log and saw that it had been installed in 1992 and lasted until 2011. There was mention of pulling it apart once to clean it out but it was re installed and the spare never mounted.
Old 28-11-2011, 14:45   #14

what you and nobody else can SEE is the double wall tubing with the exhaust in the inside tube and the water injection tube in the outer tubing... The exhaust or inside tube doesn't go too far past the exhaust manifold, JUST FAR ENOUGH. Without this feature the exhaust tubing up at the manifold will run JUST SLIGHTLY cooler than the exhaust manifold ON YOUR CAR<<<< HOT HOT HOT

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:58   #15

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
No, this is a spare that was on board when we pulled the old motor, but there was one attached to the motor that was near identical. I went through the ship's maintenance log and saw that it had been installed in 1992 and lasted until 2011. There was mention of pulling it apart once to clean it out but it was re installed and the spare never mounted.
My W46 is similar except that the last elbow before the T, is a tee with reducing bushings, and a welded thru nipple, long enough to exit the water at a lower point than the horizontal section. My Vetus vent is high up under the cockpit seats.
The weight is supported by a hung rubber strap, to the underside of the bridge deck

Tags
elbow, water