Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 18:29   #16
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
OK PLEASE .... nobody get their shorts in a bundle over what I have to say , OK!..this is being said form a very , very humble perspective and in a humbal tone of voice.. and is just my opinion....And I'm never done learning only adding or subtracting learned information.
I greatly appreciate (and enjoyed reading) Stillraining's perspectives on this subject. However, I wish to add a competing perspective in a non-shorts-bunched-up humble/humbal tone.

I change my oil once per year regardless of how many hours show on the log since the last change. The reason for this isn't so much that the oil needs to be changed as it is that I need to propitiate the gods of mechanical tranquility, and the best way to do that is perform the ritual of exchanging dirty oil for clean oil. This not only makes the engine gods happy, according to the dictates of my religion, but it elevates my motoring karma to a level where the diesel magic will work another year so long as I don't do anything as stupid as confusing the fuel deck fill with the water deck fill, which on my vessel are RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

And I always use Delo 400 because my gods are multigrade.

Sorry about the thread drift, but I've sworn a holy vow never again to deal with Mercs.
__________________

__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 19:15   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
David M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: research vessel
Posts: 10,152
How many microns is toilet paper?
__________________

__________________
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 23:58   #18
Registered User
 
JiffyLube's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oceanside, Ca.
Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Posts: 567
Images: 8
Those toilet paper filters are called Frantz filters (still made), and I used to have one on my old 70 Chevy C-20 big block for years.

I used to change the oil on my old Pathfinder diesel engine every 100 hours (in my boat), but I change the oil every three months or 100 hours depending on what comes first. The reason I changed the frequency of oil changes is based on information I got from a man that used to be in charge of motor pools in Desert Storm, and he used to have his own automotive repair shop, and taught mechanics around the world on new changes as a teacher for the Chrysler Corp.

He told me that the longer the oil sits in a diesel engine, the more acids form as the oil mixes with diesel fuel. As the acids build up in the engine it slowly eats at the engine, causing damage to parts and block over time. As he mentioned to me a sailboat may take a very long time to add up a 100 engine hours of time, so the longer that contaminated oil sits in the engine the worse it is for the engine. His recommendation was to change out the oil at least every three months, whether the engine had 100 hours on it or not.

You can do your oil changes whenever you would like, but this is what I do now.
__________________
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:32   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
The acids are the reason to run your engine and the reason you hear that a low hours old engine may be worse that a higher hours one. My personal experience with the military and maintenance in the last several years has led me to believe that anything they do might be worth avoiding..... or maybe it's that they dont do anything.....
__________________
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 13:53   #20
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I greatly appreciate (and enjoyed reading) Stillraining's perspectives on this subject. However, I wish to add a competing perspective in a non-shorts-bunched-up humble/humbal tone.

I change my oil once per year regardless of how many hours show on the log since the last change. The reason for this isn't so much that the oil needs to be changed as it is that I need to propitiate the gods of mechanical tranquility, and the best way to do that is perform the ritual of exchanging dirty oil for clean oil. This not only makes the engine gods happy, according to the dictates of my religion, but it elevates my motoring karma to a level where the diesel magic will work another year so long as I don't do anything as stupid as confusing the fuel deck fill with the water deck fill, which on my vessel are RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

And I always use Delo 400 because my gods are multigrade.

Sorry about the thread drift, but I've sworn a holy vow never again to deal with Mercs.
Way more eloquently put then my garbage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylube
Those toilet paper filters are called Frantz filters (still made), and I used to have one on my old 70 Chevy C-20 big block for years.
Thanks Jiffylube!.....They have changed the design but does seem to be about the same...We run what we call a "Rag" filter on our trucks..its actual name is Lubrifiner...it does a way better job as well over just a spin on. IMHO
__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 13:55   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
Yea... frantz... you had to use a specific kind of TP though.... Charmin aint it!
__________________
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 14:15   #22
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yea... frantz... you had to use a specific kind of TP though.... Charmin aint it!
Was this true of the original ones we were thinking of as well?...

I am pretty sure it was regular TP guys used...I could be wrong on that..or at least that's was what they were supposed to use and didn't..was probably more likely the case if not then.

I worked at a Philips 66 station going through High school and saw a number of the things on vehicles when I popped the hood...I never did get to service one though so am ignorant about them really. And just have a memory of old DIY'er dudes ( now I are one of thoes ) bragging on them.
__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 16:02   #23
Registered User
 
JiffyLube's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oceanside, Ca.
Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Posts: 567
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The acids are the reason to run your engine and the reason you hear that a low hours old engine may be worse that a higher hours one. My personal experience with the military and maintenance in the last several years has led me to believe that anything they do might be worth avoiding..... or maybe it's that they dont do anything.....
That sounds like you support leaving the oil in the engine for a long period of time time whether the engine is used a lot or not? I don't favor that approach myself.
__________________
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 16:09   #24
Registered User
 
JiffyLube's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oceanside, Ca.
Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Posts: 567
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yea... frantz... you had to use a specific kind of TP though.... Charmin aint it!
I'm not sure if Frantz specified what paper to use because it was so long ago I used one, but I thought it was single ply paper, and the role couldn't be to large or it wouldn't fit into the can. If I had a role of paper to large, I would have to pull off some paper to insure a good fit.
__________________
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 16:16   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
"That sounds like you support leaving the oil in the engine for a long period of time time...." No not really, but if you are a boat owner who has lost the time, or sick,or alone now, your boat might sit with minimal hours on the oil or alot of hours on the oil and not get changed.... then a buyer comes along and see's a low hour engine...... I'm not sure it's huge either way...
Re: Frantz....I think it was the one ply paper, the others were too soft or something....man they kept the oil clean though... You'd think there would be a spin on out there....
__________________

__________________
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting 9.9 Merc Two-Stroke to 15hp Sunspot Baby Engines and Propulsion Systems 35 01-06-2011 09:09
50 hp diesel merc motor????? force8 Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 08-10-2008 07:09
Looking for 6hp outboard, Nissan, Merc, or Tomatsu s/v 'Faith' Classifieds Archive 2 25-05-2008 08:32



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.