Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 16:51   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Warning -- Plastic Bag in Cooling!

2 inch inlet about 1/2 meter long into this visible strainer. I have the photo as documentation of my own quick fix when the one of the 1/4 inch bronze tie rods broke. Big strainer, short hose. The PO had previously removed the external strainer covers. I assume he was tired of diving to clear the debris.

I also have alarm/switches in my wet exhaust lines. I know the gen will automatically shut off but I've never tired the main. There is an analog gauge on the wet exhaust temp at the binnacle. I watch it carefully. We use it to tune the rpm-prop pitch against the engine to maximize power output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3343 STRAINER.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	89278  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 17:05   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Accomplice,

This may not fit for you, but we have used the dinghy pump to blow out a plastic bag that got sucked up the engine intake. We were fortunate that there was enough breeze for me to jink around on the main, while Jim cleared the bag. I do not know if the dinghy pump (being high volume, low pressure) would remove a major clog event.

Ann
Old 05-10-2014, 17:35   #18

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Accomplice,

This may not fit for you, but we have used the dinghy pump to blow out a plastic bag that got sucked up the engine intake. We were fortunate that there was enough breeze for me to jink around on the main, while Jim cleared the bag. I do not know if the dinghy pump (being high volume, low pressure) would remove a major clog event.

Ann
Thanks, Ann. I carry an air compressor (2.8CFM@90PSI) for a hookah dive system -- probably higher pressure and volume than dinghy pump. If the dinghy pump worked for you then I imagine the air compressor might do too. How did Jim fit the dinghy pump to the intake line?
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 17:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The fisherman sea strainer is attached directly to the through-hull. Pop the top off, open the valve, and you have direct access to the sea.

WATER STRAINER (FISHERMAN MODEL) 1.1/2"

My last boat had something like this, too. I can't imagine doing it another way.
Ahh... I have a seacock, approx 1meter hose, and a largish seachest with strainer that feeds the raw water needs of the aft half of the boat. I'd have to pull the hose off the seacock to get access to the thruhull.

Do you have one of those for your generator too?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-10-2014, 17:51   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Ahh... I have a seacock, approx 1meter hose, and a largish seachest with strainer that feeds the raw water needs of the aft half of the boat. I'd have to pull the hose off the seacock to get access to the thruhull.

Do you have one of those for your generator too?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes, two of them, identical. I toyed with the idea of making an interconnection so I could instantly switch over from one strainer to the other in case of a clog, but the realized it was more complication than it's worth. The beauty of these is that they are directly connected to the through-hull, so no clog can be out of reach, and it only takes a second.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 18:06   #21

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

After checking water flow from the exhaust upon engine start, I periodically check the flow while underway. (Easy to do when exhaust is just outside the pilothouse door.)
Old 05-10-2014, 18:21   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
I would not want a strainer or sea-chest arrangement which did not allow me to poke a screwdriver through the through-hull to clear any blockage. I would not think that pressurized air would deal with every eventuality.
HA! About two months ago, the guy on the boat next to me in the mooring field came over and asked if I had a long screwdriver he could borrow. He was not getting any cooling water and was concerned that something had clogged the intake.

He eventually did as you say... he disconnected the hose and no water came out - viola! He then poked a screw driver into the through hull from the inside and water came flowing in. As soon as he removed the screwdriver the water would stop. He dove on the through hull and could find nothing blocking it.

Eventually, I saw him puttering back to my boat he handed a cup up and inside were to very large gobi's - they had made a home in his through hull.... anytime he would poke the screw driver in they would swim out. As soon as he removed it, they would swim back in. Eventually he was able to "fish" them out. Of course, they were dead..
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:55   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

zboss,

Yeah, we've had fish jam in the toilet intake line, too. They get all mashed.

accomplice, Jim says, he closed off the intake, pulled the hose off and stuck the hose from the pump into it, started pumping and then opened the intake, and bluurp! it cleared. (The bluurp! is mine._)

G'night y'all.

Ann
Old 06-10-2014, 05:38   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
What did I learn from this? Engine temperature is a poor guide to cooling water flow, at least on this engine, which must have a lot of thermal mass. I could have easily melted the exhaust.
The only time my intake strainer has clogged the signs we noticed were that the exhaust sounded louder and there seemed to be more smoke because of the lost water flow.

I plays to question things where sounds/smells/vibrations etc. aren't "normal" to you.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:49   #25

Boat: Skookum 53'

Had a similar thing happen in the late 70s, melted a piston. Had an alarm, but wasn't loud enough to be heard. Hooked up a car horn after that.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:16   #26

Constant problem when sailing in Asia... never fails to get you at the most critical time as well! haha, got to love sailing!
Coxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:58   #27

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
TeddyDiver -- that works fine when the blockage occurs in the sea-chest -- as dockhead had. But in my situation this week the blockage was a large mass of debris on the outside of the hull.
A sea-chest is a structural part of the hull, an opening to the sea beneath. It has a grate to keep larger debris outside. Seacocks are installed on the sea-chest leading to separate strainer if the sea-chest doesn't have one.
A ships sea-chest has permanent grates preferably on both sides of the keel so that a blockage on one side doesn't cause problems.
In a boat it's easy to arrange a sea-chest which extends above the waterline so it can be opened for cleaning including a blockade outside the hull by removing the grate from inside while floating.
A strainer is not a sea-chest...
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:45   #28

It was on our air/con but we put in a splitter, that a garden hose could be hooked up and backflush to get junk out (usually sea grass). I'm sure something similar could work on the engine cooling line hooked up to the wash down pump.

Always worked great.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 13:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
It was on our air/con but we put in a splitter, that a garden hose could be hooked up and backflush to get junk out (usually sea grass). I'm sure something similar could work on the engine cooling line hooked up to the wash down pump.

Always worked great.
That was my first thought -- the washdown pump. Then I remembered that the washdown pump pulled its input from the same seachest / strainer -- which obviously wouldn't work. That's why I was thinking of using air -- just wasn't sure air pressure would do it. But based on what Ann/Jim did, it sounds like it ought to.
Old 06-10-2014, 13:40   #30

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

We have a problem with Sargassum weed around here. My engine intake is fitted with a "T" with the straight-thru vertical. Pump hose comes off the horizontal port and a capped standpipe to above the W/L from the other port. I can unscrew the cap and poke a 3 ft dowel back to the outside of the hull. Clears barnacles as well.

Tags
cooling