Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 11:11   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
W55 replacing W46

Well it's official. I need to replace my Westerbeke 46. I'm looking at a Westerbeke 55. Supposedly more power but less fuel.

Has anyone done this? Can I just change the motor mounts on the existing stringers? Any problems?

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 14:43   #2

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49
Re: W55 replacing W46

I have a friend who looked into replacing his old yanmar with Westerbeke and said he had trouble getting westerbeke to commit to delivering one in the US. Id like to know what you find.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 15:31   #3
Eternal Member

Thanks for the heads up. The local Westerbeke dealer didn't mention that just the price. I'll check into it.

Old 25-10-2015, 17:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Thanks for the heads up. The local Westerbeke dealer didn't mention that just the price. I'll check into it.

Please let me know what you find in case I need to do the same.

Thanks
Old 25-10-2015, 18:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Rich,

After living with a couple of Westerbekes, including my current W58 if I ever repower (knock on wood) Westerbeke will be close to the bottom of the options I consider.

Main reason, as far as I know, Westerbeke buys all their engines from other companies, adds a few marine specific parts, paints everything red and marks it up, in the case of the parts the markup is 100-200%.

A few examples. water pump">Raw water pump, from Westerbeke $740 from the Westerbeke dealer. I found it online discounted for around $550. Did some research and learned it was a standard Sherwood pump. Ordered one from a pump supply house for $340.

Guts for the fresh water pump from Westerbeke $228. I figured out my W58 is the same block as the Perkins 4.154 and found the exact same part painted blue for $89.

I can understand a company needs to recover the cost of holding inventory and parts for engines but this is a bit much to me.

My first choice would be a Beta Marine based on Kubota tractor engines. They have a great reputation for service and so far have not heard a single complaint from any customers. They will work with you on the mounting brackets and within reason, can outfit the engine to fit your existing bed.

Worth giving them a call to see what they say.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 18:17   #6
Eternal Member

Thanks Skipmac,

I was already aware of the price problems with Westerbeke. Despite incessant pressure from my dockmates, I'm not sure I've examined all my options. I'll keep looking. Don't know too much about Beta but liked my old Yanmar. Glow plugs are a pain

Rich

Old 27-10-2015, 08:07   #7

Smile Re: W55 replacing W46

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Rich,

After living with a couple of Westerbekes, including my current W58 if I ever repower (knock on wood) Westerbeke will be close to the bottom of the options I consider.

Main reason, as far as I know, Westerbeke buys all their engines from other companies, adds a few marine specific parts, paints everything red and marks it up, in the case of the parts the markup is 100-200%.

A few examples. Raw water pump, from Westerbeke $740 from the Westerbeke dealer. I found it online discounted for around $550. Did some research and learned it was a standard Sherwood pump. Ordered one from a pump supply house for $340.

Guts for the fresh water pump from Westerbeke $228. I figured out my W58 is the same block as the Perkins 4.154 and found the exact same part painted blue for $89.

I can understand a company needs to recover the cost of holding inventory and parts for engines but this is a bit much to me.

My first choice would be a Beta Marine based on Kubota tractor engines. They have a great reputation for service and so far have not heard a single complaint from any customers. They will work with you on the mounting brackets and within reason, can outfit the engine to fit your existing bed.

Worth giving them a call to see what they say.

I understand why that would bother you about Westerbeke mark up. But as you stated yourself after a bit of research you found parts cheaper. I just had to replace a manifold/HX/mixing elbow (all one piece) on a yanmar powered genset and the part was about 4K. There was nowhere to go but yanmar. With westerbeke I was able to source a fresh water pump for 1/3 the WB cost. I am buying a new HX today from an aftermarket dealer for 1/2 WB cost. Beta Marine is another great option and they still have simple (no computer) engines I think. I think my WB 42B may also be based on a Kubota block and I know of a good little tractor parts place in Texas that doesn't ask questions ;-)
Old 27-10-2015, 08:37   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I've been in talks to replace my 46 with a Beta Marine 43 or 50. The price is right and so far I have been very happy with how quickly they have gotten back to me regarding my questions.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 09:14   #9

I just spoke with WB in California. It sounds like the 55 HP is available in the US List is 16,163 but they offer a discount to get it around 14K delivered. the next smallest available here is a 35 HP. Delivery time is 4 weeks. Let me know if you want my contacts number or PM me for a call.
Old 27-10-2015, 09:26   #10

"Glow plugs are a pain"

What a strange thing to say. So are starter motors, but they both make your engine start. Otherwise, there's not much point having the engine, unless it's to make the boat sit on its lines.
Old 27-10-2015, 09:35   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I dislike glow plugs too. One goes out and the remaining get extra current so they burn out pretty soon, you don't know there is a problem until they are all burnt. It requires extra wiring and a solenoid, switch etc.
I like Diesels that don't require pre-heat myself.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 09:48   #12

The glow plugs are wired in parallel. You'd have to be getting a excessive drop in the wiring to get the effect you describe, and even then all that is happening is that the remaining plugs get closer to the voltage they were designed to operate at.

There is no such thing as an engine that is designed not to need pre-heat. There are ones without pre-heat, that are difficult to start cold, and ones that have pre-heat. If you have glow plugs, you always have the option not to use them.

Even my nearly new Passat TDi has them, but they now heat up in about 0.5s, making them a bit more convenient.
Old 27-10-2015, 11:44   #13
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I've been in talks to replace my 46 with a Beta Marine 43 or 50. The price is right and so far I have been very happy with how quickly they have gotten back to me regarding my questions.

Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards a Beta 43 hp. Next time I get to the boat I want to take some careful measurements of the motor mounts.

Old 27-10-2015, 12:25   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

All I know is my JD-410 backhoe, My JD 997 lawnmower, My International 574 and my 4JHE sailboat engine do not have glow plugs and start easily, I have had a hard time starting the 574 years ago only to find once I got it started that the tires were frozen so I wasn't using it anyway.
My old VW Diesel had glow plugs and it got to where it was hard to start to find out all plugs were burnt up, but not hard to replace, My Duramax Diesel has glow plugs and an air intake heater, fingers crossed so far no problems.

I figure the simpler something is, the less problem it will be and easier to trouble shoot and or fix it. I love common rails, but wouldn't have one in my boat.
I won't ever be anywhere it gets so cold that I have to pre heat to start, my Farm Diesels are good until the teens and my boat motor will never get that cold as long as I own it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 12:56   #15

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards a Beta 43 hp. Next time I get to the boat I want to take some careful measurements of the motor mounts.

Rich, I looked at the Westerbeke 55, and from what I can see in the drawings and my (admittedly foggy) recollection from the Annapolis boat show, the rear mounts on that engine seem to be welded to the bell housing. This makes changing those mounts to something different a real PITA. If your boat is like mine, those rear mounts on your W46 are special and are higher than the front mounts to allow the engine to fit in the keel cavity. Just something to look at. I believe the Beta has bolt on mounts, and Beta can make the custom mounts for you to hav'er fit. I repowered our Bayfield 32 with a Beta-20. It was a complete custom job (on my part). I had to glass in new bearers and Stanly at Beta marine was very helpful with tips as to how to build jigs for aligning the new bearers and design of the rest of the components. It made a big difference for me, as opposed to Yanmar, who are more interested in selling to a dealer/pro-installer. If you're having it professionally installed, it would not matter as much. We started the new engine for the first time this past Sunday. After a *LOT* of work redesigning things and construction of bearers, new exhaust, raw water supply, new DC system and wiring, fuel system, etc., It was quite a celebration when she started right up with minimal fuss. I don't have any affiliation with Beta marine, just a satisfied customer.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote