Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 10:40   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: W55 replacing W46

Update: I may not need a new engine. A dockmate asked if could take a look. I said sure. After 2-3 days no fluid seeping past rings. Can fill cylinders with ATF come back in a couple days and they are still full.

After pulling head we found quite a bit of carbon fouling. I suspect injectors need repair or replacement. I've ordered new gaskets. Westerbeke wanted $300+ for head gasket. Mitsubishi sells a complete set, head, valve cover, exhaust, oil pan, etc. for $55. Last Westerbeke I'll ever own.

No apparent wear on cylinders. Smooth as a baby's butt.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Update: I may not need a new engine. A dockmate asked if could take a look. I said sure. After 2-3 days no fluid seeping past rings. Can fill cylinders with ATF come back in a couple days and they are still full.

After pulling head we found quite a bit of carbon fouling. I suspect injectors need repair or replacement. I've ordered new gaskets. Westerbeke wanted $300+ for head gasket. Mitsubishi sells a complete set, head, valve cover, exhaust, oil pan, etc. for $55. Last Westerbeke I'll ever own.

Rich

You can boycott Westerbeke if you like, but that kind of pricing disparity, between core engine manufacturer and marinising distributor, is typical across all brands.
Old 07-11-2015, 17:41   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
You can boycott Westerbeke if you like, but that kind of pricing disparity, between core engine manufacturer and marinising distributor, is typical across all brands.
That has not been my experience. Beta Marine for one is happy to help you find the Kubota tractor parts for their marinized version of that engine. Parts for some of the Perkins engines I've had in the past were much more reasonable. In fact, my Westerbeke W58 is just a Perkins 4.154 painted red and I have purchased blue painted Perkins parts for 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of the identical part from Westerbeke painted red.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 19:40   #19

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Yeah... We are seriously thinking of ditching our WB for a Beta when we finally head off for the long term.

I was speaking with Beta and the engine comes completely assembled and tuned except the wiring harness. All you have to do it put it in, connect the water, fuel, and wiring harness, bolt it down, align it and take off.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 20:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post

Rich

Westerbeke does not make engines, they just marinize them.
My westerbeke is from a mazda pickup. Find your engine base, and find cheep parts.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:47   #21
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Yeah... We are seriously thinking of ditching our WB for a Beta when we finally head off for the long term.

I was speaking with Beta and the engine comes completely assembled and tuned except the wiring harness. All you have to do it put it in, connect the water, fuel, and wiring harness, bolt it down, align it and take off.

I'd go with that plan in a heartbeat. I wanted a new head gasket, $300; a new fuel return manifold, $300. My engine, the W46 I'm told is a Mitsubishi 4DQ5. Complete set of gaskets is $56. Unfortunately they did change the fuel return line. I'll have check further.

When I do have to repower I'll start with Beta and have Yanmar also on the list.

Old 29-03-2016, 13:12   #22
Eternal Member

W55 replacing W46

This is a very old thread. So many of you provided and support I thought one final post was called for.

My friend and I abandoned the so-called "pro mechanics" and did the repairs on my engine ourselves. As a reminder, the suspected problem was stuck rings leading to no compression in any of the cylinders.

We pulled the head and found the rings were stuck due to excessive carbon fouling. Other parts needed replacing and the wiring harness was a mess.

To make a long story a little shorter, the engine I was told needed replacement now runs like a top. It starts instantly, is quiet and smooth. My neighbor claims it runs better than his.

So a big thank you to all.

Rich

Old 29-03-2016, 13:32   #23

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Thanks for the update Rich! That's great news. Were you able to source the parts (head gasket, etc.) somewhere for lower prices than what Westerbeke tries to ream you for? Based on Westerbeke's prices for parts, I honestly think that they are not really interested in selling you parts, but rather hope that the high prices for parts will induce you to just buy a new engine.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 15:51   #24
Eternal Member

Except for a few parts from Westerbeke we outsourced everything. We were able to get quite a few parts from local auto shops. I'd guess less than $1500 in parts plus bit for expendables.

As I said, now runs like a kitten. I doubt it takes even one revolution to start. The biggest problem was the electrical harness. Bad splices, too many splices and loose connections.

My friend that did the majority of the work expected around $200. I gave him $1500. I've tried to give him more but he refuses. Meanwhile I learned a lot about diesel repair.

Including what I paid my friend I might have $3K into the whole thing. A heck of a lot better than a new engine.

Rich