Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-08-2015, 05:44   #31
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: VP D1-20 overheating only at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
The benefits of having two identical engines! Nice idea, and it makes me think I should measure/get more baseline data for my engine, since I only have the one onboard.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We were just discussing adding some more marker lines to the engine compartment. There is already a very clear waterline marked on the engine bay to avoid making silly mistakes, but I really like a baseline for the idle speed water pressure, so I will add this to the paintwork.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:53   #32

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
The faulty engine required 24s to pump 1.5 liter at 2500rpms while the good one required 24s at 120cm (but at only 1500rpm). Same output with less static pressure indicates there is no blockage in the faulty engine.
That should read:
The faulty engine required 24s to pump 1.5 liter at 92cm (and 2500rpms) while the good one required 24s at 120cm (but at only 1500rpm).
Same output with less static pressure indicates there is no blockage in the faulty engine.

Old 05-08-2015, 14:03   #33

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
That should read:
The faulty engine required 24s to pump 1.5 liter at 92cm (and 2500rpms) while the good one required 24s at 120cm (but at only 1500rpm).
Same output with less static pressure indicates there is no blockage in the faulty engine.
If you had blockage it would be overheating at the higher loads. your looking for volume of water. if your going to run a test using two different engines you need to use the same perameter...ie... running the engines at the same loss and rpms

a centrifugal pump at given rpm will pump so much water if you increase the rpm by X the water flow dose not increase by the same X

pull the two pumps and compare the impellers. it will only cost you your labor and maybe some gasket material. If the impellers is worn by a new pump. Keep it simple dude. it's cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
If you had blockage it would be overheating at the higher loads. your looking for volume of water. if your going to run a test using two different engines you need to use the same perameter...ie... running the engines at the same loss and rpms

a centrifugal pump at given rpm will pump so much water if you increase the rpm by X the water flow dose not increase by the same X

pull the two pumps and compare the impellers. it will only cost you your labor and maybe some gasket material. If the impellers is worn by a new pump. Keep it simple dude. it's cheaper in the long run.
That comparison was just to give reason why there can't be an excessive blockage. Higher output at lower pressure means no blockage to me.
The fact that the faulty engine requires higher rpms for less pressure indicates a broken pump.

I'm with you regarding the fins. I will pull the pumps when my guests are gone. They are non-boating family guests and they are already puzzled by the fact that there is always something to fix on a boat. I don't want to support the idea we are living on a floating wreck.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:06   #35

Quote:
I will pull the pumps when my guests are gone. They are non-boating family guests and they are already puzzled by the fact that there is always something to fix on a boat. I don't want to support the idea we are living on a floating wreck.
On the contrary, you are giving them an authentic taste of yachting.

I hope you have introduced them to deck swabbing, bottom scrubbing and provision lugging. It would be very irresponsible and unkind of you not to give them the genuine boating experience.

Imagine if they thought it was normal on a boat for everything to work with no effort at all, and then went off and bought a boat. What a rude awakening! You owe it to them to hand them the scrubbing brush and snorkel.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16   #36

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
That comparison was just to give reason why there can't be an excessive blockage. Higher output at lower pressure means no blockage to me.
The fact that the faulty engine requires higher rpms for less pressure indicates a broken pump.

I'm with you regarding the fins. I will pull the pumps when my guests are gone. They are non-boating family guests and they are already puzzled by the fact that there is always something to fix on a boat. I don't want to support the idea we are living on a floating wreck.
lol !!! Yah some people just can't see all the cost of living on the hill.
Old 07-08-2015, 13:59   #37

Ok, today the starter of the other engine failed, the solenoid is toast. We managed to get into the Marina in Corfu where the VP dealer is located. Of course the faulty engine overheated when entering the marina and we slowly drifted into a suitable berth with no other propulsion but 5kn wind from behind.

So its a fact. We are living on a floating wreck. This is desaster area #1.
But family seems to cope well and is leaving tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2015, 16:46   #38

As long as you finished with the same number of guests as you started with I reckon you are doing ok. Good luck with repairs, at least a dead solenoid should be a straight forward repair job.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-08-2015, 16:20   #39

I forgot to give feedback about the cause.

While at the VP dealer for the starter repair i inquired about the cooling problem. They had absolutely no clue but advised not to pull the pump without new gaskets at hand.
So i ordered new pump plus gaskets. When these finally arrived i pulled the pump and guess what... the old pump was in excellent shape.

Between the pump and the engine block there is a 3mm spacer and two thick and quite complicate paper gaskets.
One of these gaskets had a void between the suction and the pressure side, thus creating a shortcut that reduced pressure and output.
I guess the previous owner pulled the pump for some reason and did not replace the gaskets.

With new gaskets the engine has been working like a charm for a few days now. Luckily i could return the new pump, so the problem cost me 30 euro for the gaskets (plus 80 euro s&h)
Old 30-08-2015, 04:23   #40

A very happy outcome, and a really important tip for owners of that engine.

So the symptoms that pointed to a failed pump were a good indication, but it would take a good knowledge of the peculiarities of the pump to understand the mode of failure.

I hope you see your guests again.

Matt

Tags
heating, overheating

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: