Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2018, 03:10   #1

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Volvo TAMD 74P EDC Shift/Throttle Controls questions

Just a couple of very simple questions for anyone familiar with running dual station Volvo diesel engines (which is not me).

Toured a boat this weekend with dual Volvo TAMD 74Ps. It had a panel of six buttons like the one in the attached photo. The functions of the Active Station and Sync buttons are pretty obvious. I'm guessing the Neutral buttons can be used to bypass the shifting of the transmission in case you want to run the engines faster than idle without moving. Is that correct? So what is the Diagnosis button for?

The second question may or may not have anything to do with the button panel. We tried to start the engines but couldn't. The engine room blowers came on when the key was turned (it is supposed to do that with this model) but there was nothing from the engines, no click of the starter solenoid or anything. The keys were in the upper helm station and were in the Off position. We were trying to start it from the lower helm station. Are the two ignition systems separate and independent or would the position of the keys in the upper helm station have prevented starting? Or perhaps the batteries were both dead.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John

MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 04:17   #2

Re: Volvo TAMD 74P EDC Shift/Throttle Controls questions

Hi, the diagnostic button flashes out an error code when a problem is detected.
If you push down the diagnostic button you will hopefully get two flashes back (1.1) . If you have a problem and the diagnostic is flashing you can push the button and read out a trouble code like 2.3 if you then look in the manual you can translate the code and read about what problem is detected. Question nr. 2 , not starting when ignition key is turned; levers must be in neutral ( neutral lamp on), push active station button (active station lamp on) . There might also be a timer on the fan for the engine room that wont allow the engines to be cranked until a certain time have elapsed. If anything is unclear let me know by an email.
naviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 04:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by naviking View Post
Hi, the diagnostic button flashes out an error code when a problem is detected.
If you push down the diagnostic button you will hopefully get two flashes back (1.1) . If you have a problem and the diagnostic is flashing you can push the button and read out a trouble code like 2.3 if you then look in the manual you can translate the code and read about what problem is detected. Question nr. 2 , not starting when ignition key is turned; levers must be in neutral ( neutral lamp on), push active station button (active station lamp on) . There might also be a timer on the fan for the engine room that wont allow the engines to be cranked until a certain time have elapsed. If anything is unclear let me know by an email.
Makes perfect sense about the Diagnosis buttons. I’ll do a little more research into the diagnostic codes. Thanks.

Ah, we didn’t know to press the This Station but before attempting to start. (Neither did the broker.) We did make sure the levers were in neutral but that didn’t help.

Is there a way to temporarily disengage the shifter in order to rev up the engines in neutral?
Old 29-01-2018, 04:41   #4

Hi , by pressing the button at the same time as the control
lever is moved forward to the shifting position, the
control lever shift function is disengaged so that the
engine can be revved freely. //Nick
naviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 07:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by naviking View Post
Hi , by pressing the button at the same time as the control
lever is moved forward to the shifting position, the
control lever shift function is disengaged so that the
engine can be revved freely. //Nick
Outstanding. Thanks, Nick.
Old 29-01-2018, 07:35   #6

That stated by naviking is correct, but overlooks the starting procedure.....

To start the engine(s) you need to:
- turn the key switch to the "1" position which turns the ignition on
- be sure the shift lever is in neutral ( neutral light will flash if it isn't)
- press the active station button to tell the EDC system which station you want to be active
- turn the key all the way clockwise to the "3" start position and the engine will crank

If the engine is cold it will crank over three or four turns before fuel injection begins. This allows it to development some heat in the cylinders. Then it will start and idle at about 800rpm for a few minutes before dropping to the normal idle speed of 600 ( or whatever it has been set it to).

If you have further interest, you can google "Volvo Penta tamd74 EDC manual",
and find the operators manual on line.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 07:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
That stated by naviking is correct, but overlooks the starting procedure.....

To start the engine(s) you need to:
- turn the key switch to the "1" position which turns the ignition on
- be sure the shift lever is in neutral ( neutral light will flash if it isn't)
- press the active station button to tell the EDC system which station you want to be active
- turn the key all the way clockwise to the "3" start position and the engine will crank

If the engine is cold it will crank over three or four turns before fuel injection begins. This allows it to development some heat in the cylinders. Then it will start and idle at about 800rpm for a few minutes before dropping to the normal idle speed of 600 ( or whatever it has been set it to).

If you have further interest, you can google "Volvo Penta tamd74 EDC manual",
and find the operators manual on line.

DougR
Good to know, Doug. Thanks! Think I will look up the manual. Appreciate the step-by-step.
Old 21-04-2018, 10:33   #8

Boat: linssen variotop 45

will be closing on a new used boat next week with the same setup as john easley above.

which button do you press and hold to rev engine in neutral? not sure i understand the procedure.

when starting engines the rev synch light is on. do the engines synch automatically as you advance the throttles to a even position or does on become a slave?

have no experience with edc controls. my boat is a 2001 linssen with tamd 74's.
grubster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 14:11   #9

As mentioned in post #4, to rev the engine in neutral, you depress the neutral button and hold it down while advancing the throttle. Then you can release the button. When you return the level to neutral it resets and then will shift normally.

When running above a certain RPM level (I don't recall the exact RPM), if you have the engines within about 50 rpm of each other and press the sync button, the EDC will sync the engines and bring the RPMs together. As I recall the EDC does not have a single lever " master/slave" function. For that you need the much later EVC system.

As mentioned earlier, your owners manual is your friend.

DougR
Old 21-04-2018, 14:29   #10

thank you for the explanation. just did a sea trial on thursday and the captain did not know how to use the edc. i am going to close on the boat later this week and will then get the manuals. thanks again. marty g.
Old 21-04-2018, 15:16   #11

the sea trial i experienced had 2 "very experienced" captains and brokers who had no idea how to do the 2 things i had questions about.
Old 27-10-2022, 08:35   #12

Hello all,

I'm new here. I'm looking for information as to replacing the buttons on the 6 panel Volvo system.. I have one light out and obviously others will burn out over time. Does anyone know where to get new buttons from? Or could I replace the whole panel with an updated panel? Thank you for your assistance

By the way I have the Volvo Penta TAMD 122 P-B
Old 27-10-2022, 09:21   #13

You can source the button assembly from VP, and it includes a new bulb. Or you can replace just the bulb, also available from VP, or your local auto parts store.
Remember, 24 volt system on the TAMD122 engine.
Old 27-10-2022, 09:26   #14

Thank you DougR. I called Marine Parts Express. Do you have contact info for VP? I went and bought a new bulb this summer and it melted the switch. It was a 14v bulb. I cannot read the OEM one that came out. Do you know if there is a whole new updated panel option?
Old 27-10-2022, 09:43   #15

According to the Marine Parts Express web site parts schematics there is a complete panel available. Either twin engine or single engine (6 button or 3 button).

But again the buttons and bulbs are available individually......

Volvo Penta contact # 757-436-2800

Tags
rot, volvo