Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 17:26   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Volvo Penta TAMD31 Oil Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
No, it's the way the meter movement, (d'arsonval) works. There is nothing to move the meter to 0 until it gets power again, by then the engine is running.
No, what?

I don't know what T'bird's setup is, I replaced my Volvo gauges with Teleflex years ago. If, as I asked him, he's talking about before the engine starts, the gauge pegs, then it is almost beyond certainly an electrical problem, (providing he doesn't have mechanical gauges, in which case it's a supernatural problem).

If I remember correctly, the Volvo gauges don't ground through the block, so I'm not sure how applicable this is, but if you take the ground off the Teleflex gauge, with the sender and power connected, when you turn the key on, the gauge pegs, when you turn the key off it returns to zero.

See attached pictures.

If, as asked, the problem happens before the engine starts, I would suggest T'bird checks the gauge ground first, and then the ground circuit all the way through to the sender. Volvo's, in my experience, are notorious for electrical issues...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1gauge 003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	156392   Click image for larger version

Name:	1gauge 001.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	156393  

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 17:53   #17
DGH

Boat: 48 ft sloop. Buizen 48

Thank you very much Camille1.
Can you tell me How many hours had your TMD done when this occurred?
Thanks again.
DGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 19:09   #18

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

With no ignition, it jumps to maximum as electric contact is made.
Before engine is fired.

It stays there for good, as the engine runs
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 20:12   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
With no ignition, it jumps to maximum as electric contact is made.
Before engine is fired.

It stays there for good, as the engine runs
Please explain what you mean by 'With no ignition, it jumps to maximum as electric contact is made.

If you can test for continuity in the black wire from the terminal on the sender to the ground terminal on the gauge, you might find the problem, though it could be in the sender itself.

Alternatively, you could run a jumper wire from the negative terminal on the sender to the negative terminal on the gauge.

You can also test the sender. If you have a single sender, the ohms across the terminals, with the wires disconnected, should be:

0 psi.....approx. 10
30 psi....52 +/-4
58 psi....88 +/-4
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:47   #20

Hi - working on a well maintained TAMD41 and stbd engine has no oil coming up to rocker shaft and bottom end is making a knocking noise when hot (only happened once and was shut down). Can you perhaps just point out what I can try diagnose without pulling the engine? Are there oil system parts I can remove/replace with motor in boat? New filters and oil done 2 months ago thanks. Oil level good - also where is the port for a mech gauge oil psi test?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
There are actually 3 valves in the lubricating system; a main relief valve right after the pump, apparently to limit the pressure to protect the oil cooler from overpressure, another relief valve to limit the pressure to 73 psi, and a piston cooling valve that opens at 35.6 psi. This valve remains closed at low speeds and low engine loads, but opens at higher speeds and loads to spray cooling oil into the underside of the piston domes.

Any of them could give problems, sticking or weak springs and such.

The most common early warning sign for oil system issues (unless you do scheduled oil analysis), is rumbling or changing noises from the bottom end (crank and rod bearings)...
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 15:27   #21

Volvo Penta TAMD31 Oil Pressure

The quick and dirty way to find out what’s going on with oil pressure is to remove the oil sender or switch, get a length of ¼” clear plastic hose and a plastic container..... push the hose into the oil gallery thread, hold it in tightly and BRIEFLY, cold crank the engine. 1 or 2 turns should produce oil flow. If not, crank a bit longer! If yes, get a master gauge and check the actual pressure. For the lower end knock, spin off the oil filter and open it up to inspect the paper folds for metal, just a couple of tiny shiny bits means you’re about to lift out an engine. Incidentally, con rod bearing rattle can be best heard by revving the engine in neutral to 2,000 rpm then pull the throttle back and listen for a knock as it backs down to idle
What’s the oil pressure on the panel gauge?
Does it have a remote oil filter, crossing the feed lines can block the flow at the filter head drainback valve.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 17:02   #22

hi thanks - not sure on gauge, will try get back down there early next week. The rocker shaft and everything is BONE dry. The owner said a mech test was performed 4 months ago and it came back good (unconfirmed though) so ill take a gauge down with me. Is there anything specific that could cause a no oil situation up top?

I did see babbit streaks in the oil :/ thats a clear indication of rod bearings.. I do quite alot of gas engine rebuilds at my shop, just not 100% on all the oiling systems on these diesels - someone mentioned on another forum there are 3 relief valves!

Here is the pic from 2 days ago - its not good!

Old 08-12-2022, 18:56   #23

That looks awful. I remember reading a post on the forum about an external rocker feed oil line but my service manual has no mention of it.... do a visual inspection and see if you can find one. I’d still open up the engine oil filter and inspect the paper, if there’s metal in there it’s game over, that suckers coming out of the boat.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:36   #24

Thanks will try that.

I did locate the oil feed tube, it's aft comes up thru head, die a 90 degree turn into rocker shaft.

I did read about overfilling a bit, that a crackef relief seat or bad oring causes suction leak to pump.. might try that first.

What's the sender thread size? Take a few sizes down..
Old 09-12-2022, 16:11   #25

Most likely it’s ⅛”-27 NPT. The corroded rocker gear seems to indicate that the engine has had water in the oilpan at some point.

Tags
oil, penta, volvo