Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 13:40   #1

Boat: 1986 Beneteau Idylle 1050, 10.5 Meters
Volvo Penta MS2B Gearbox Issues

Just did a search for MS2B here and got 0 hits, can that be right?

Anyway, my gearbox's seals gave up the ghost over the weekend. I put a fresh round of oil in last night and it turned to gray sludge in less than 2 minutes of idling. Drained it back out and it settled out to what looked like 50% water... ick.

So, the fore warning... this is my first boat of any kind (1986 Beneteau Idylle 1050 with Penta 2003 engine and MS2B gearbox) and I have not previously had the opertunity to monkey with gearoxes or prop shafts, etc. on any else's boats first. So my own may well be the guinea pig.

So first... how hard should I expect it to be to replace the seals in one of these? Is it a job a reasonably mechanicly inclind person could do (any special tools)? Or is this one of those special needs kinda things that will have to be done by a "trianed professional".

Also, this may be a real no brainer to some, but as I said, I've never pulled a prop shaft before so... What I don't know is the typical setup as far as bearings, etc. on the outboard end. The boat came with one of those graphite packless shaft seals. So there is a shaft clamp/holder/whatever the proper name is for the round plate bolted to the back of the gearbox that the shaft is snugged into is called... My gut expectation is that if I disconnect this from the gearbox, well the packless seal on the other end of the shaft will decompress and stop being water tight. In other words, this is probably going to require having the boat pulled. If that is not the case and I can keep the boat in the water while doing this, that will save me an extra haul out expense to go with whatever the gearbox damage is going to run...

Thanks for any input.
Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Volvo Penta MS2B gearbox issues

[QUOTE=

The boat came with one of those graphite packless shaft seals. So there is a shaft clamp/holder/whatever the proper name is for the round plate bolted to the back of the gearbox that the shaft is snugged into is called... My gut expectation is that if I disconnect this from the gearbox, well the packless seal on the other end of the shaft will decompress and stop being water tight. In other words, this is probably going to require having the boat pulled. If that is not the case and I can keep the boat in the water while doing this, that will save me an extra haul out expense to go with whatever the gearbox damage is going to run...

Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

Your gut instinct is quite correct. When you have a dripless seal, you need to have the boat out of the water before you attempt to remove the transmission for repair.
Regards, Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 13:52   #3

Re: Volvo Penta MS2B Gearbox Issues

Thanks for the confirmation Stanley, I didn't really think I wanted to pull those four bolts while sitting in the water

I found an exploded diagram of the gearbox and it made it look like it might just be possible to get to the oil cooler tube without much fuss... then I found a thread on another site (Volvo MS2B Transmission water in oil) that implies that you have to pull (and repress) the gear to get to the cooler tube. I don't have the tools for that. Assuming of course that it didn't need anything more than that to start with.

I'm starting to think the expedient route may be finding a used and functional spare gearbox. Then I could pull the boat swap them out and resplash in short order. But I know they are old and not likely made any longer, so this may not be easy either.

Anyone know of a spare MS2B gearbox that is available?
Old 02-06-2011, 14:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
Your gut instinct is quite correct. When you have a dripless seal, you need to have the boat out of the water before you attempt to remove the transmission for repair.
Regards, Stanley
Why?

Is this dripless seal the volvo one like this?

http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollec...ox%20(Eng).pdf

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would pull the gearbox by disconnecting the prop shaft and sliding it back in the seal if this is possible. The clamp which holds the prop shaft to the gearbox probably has 8 allen keys holding the two halves together. Be aware that there is also a roll pin going through the two halves to stop it turning and you will need a punch to get this out as its probably corroded in if you go down this route. If not just unbolt from the gearbox.

With the box out it is worth doing the gearbox splines if they are the slightest worn which is likely. The problem the the gearbox to flywheel splines is they are not lubricated so over the life of the boat they wear. A bad case will be sharp teeth on the gearbox to engine shaft. The solution is to have the shaft machined like this:

Volvo Penta 2001,2002,2003 gearbox spline repair or modification

We did ours a couple of years ago.

The gearbox isn't anything special so an ordinary repair shop ought to be able to rebuild it.

Pete
Old 02-06-2011, 15:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Why?

Is this dripless seal the volvo one like this?

http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollec...ox%20(Eng).pdf

Pete
No, rather an older model of this...

02-100-114 | PSS Shaft Seal

The stainless bushing on the shaft and the graphite one on the seal are not connected. You can, with a little effort slide the boot/graphite back while it is in place and cause water to come in. So if you take the shaft loose from the gearbox, and thus release the tension in the boot holding the graphite disk onto the stainless bushing, the result would be something of a gusher I expect.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:13   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds like she will have to come out then.

Regular supply of volvo 2000 series engines which were fitted with MS2 boxes this side of the pond. However, will they be any better or also likely to fail?

Inboard Engine for sale , volvo penta gearbox - Boats And Outboards

Pete
Old 02-06-2011, 18:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Sounds like she will have to come out then.

Regular supply of volvo 2000 series engines which were fitted with MS2 boxes this side of the pond. However, will they be any better or also likely to fail?

Inboard Engine for sale , volvo penta gearbox - Boats And Outboards

Pete
Thanks for the link... I sent them a message. It sure beats the one I have found on this side of the pond so far (asking U.S. 500 and didn't look nearly as clean).

That spline idea looks like a nice idea as well... If the current box is worth salvaging I'll give that some thought too.

-Ed

Tags
gearbox, volvo, Penta