Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 00:51   #1

Boat: 32ft John Pugh Ketch
Volvo Penta MD17D

Hi all,
I am seeking help with the knowledge of the cruiser members in getting some general knowledge about the Volvo penta MD 17D.
Does anyone know the years of manufacture of this engine and whether there are any known issues to be concerned about.
I am told they are a reasonably reliable engine, but I dont know much about them.

Thanks in advance
Jerome
Leele Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 01:37   #2

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48
Re: Volvo Penta MD17D

http://www.82ms.se/workshop_manual_MD11_MD17.pdf
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 03:07   #3

I have one which is 30" yrs old and works fine aside from the usual maintenance and worn out parts... which need to be replaced. Many of them are out of production!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 03:22   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leele Belle View Post
Hi all,
I am seeking help with the knowledge of the cruiser members in getting some general knowledge about the Volvo penta MD 17D.
Does anyone know the years of manufacture of this engine and whether there are any known issues to be concerned about.
I am told they are a reasonably reliable engine, but I dont know much about them.

Thanks in advance
Jerome
Sorry I can't help you directly but welcome aboard CF and hopefully more MD 17D owners will post soon.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 04:56   #5

The MD17 series of engines evolved from the earlier MD3 engines. The MD17C model was built between 1975-1981, and the MD17D was built between 1981-1984.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 05:12   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Mine must have been last of the line....fitted new in 1986.
Lovely engine... built from the sump up as a marine diesel.

As said above parts are getting scarce... if your one comes with FW cooling track down a FW circ pump at a wreckers , have it rebuilt... see previous threads about that.
Not sure if the lift pump is engine specific but get a spare one of them and have it rebuilt.
Pick up a spare starter motor... they are left handed.
Thats about it.... and a set of head and manifold gaskets.

Check the oil at least once every 24 hours... they all burn a bit... I check mine after every 8 hour motoring day.

Bonzer motor....
Old 16-09-2015, 13:20   #7

Boat: VIA Marine 42

I bought a VIA 42 this spring and sailed it down from Halifax to Maine. Had to get a tow the last 20 miles. 1985 MD-17D. The lift pump was failing and had to hand pump it every hour or so, ran for a good 4 hours then dwindled down to not running more than 5 minutes. Tried to install the new lift pump, but they failed to account for the fuel return line which feeds back into the input line. The old pump is discontinued and the replacement has the in/out put rotated and spaced different. The fuel return was the tricking part, it doesn't go back to the tank, it goes to a double banjo on the input side. Solution was to cut the metal tube and rubber hose the gap. The main fuel line also didn't have enough reach for the new 90 degree turn. I wanted to put an aftermarket electric pump on, but the return made it tricky and i was short on time. If you carry a spare that is not the same, carry extra tubing etc.
It has 8000 hours and will be pulled this fall or next spring for a new Beta.

Next dilemma, who wants a used MD17? Is there a market for used engines or just scrap them? Have extra (used) parts and filters also.
Les Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 13:46   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

A rebuilt lift pump ( most probably just needs a new diaphragm) would be cheaper than a new Beta.
Old 16-09-2015, 14:06   #9

Old engines are facing part wear out and failures... but replacing them with used parts that have a lot of hrs on may only buy you some time. If you find used parts, try to have them re built and that pay give you more time.

I have a FW pump at the shop waiting for a rebuild as a spare or to sell.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 20:02   #10

I could be interested in your FW pump.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mark maulden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo