Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2011, 02:53   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tromsų, Norway
Boat: One off steel sloop 38 ft
Posts: 27
Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

Hi all,
I'm looking at a used boat with a brand new Volvo Penta diesel (D2 40 EVC MS 15). I have heard some not so good stories about the smaller Volvo Penta diesels (e.g. on this forum) and am a bit leery towards them. Therefore my question: Has anybody first hand experience with this motor?
Regards
Walter
__________________

__________________
Boatwayupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 02:57   #2
Registered User
 
Johnathon123's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern NSW Australia
Boat: Maurice Griffiths 40
Posts: 737
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

I had a 2005 55hp in my last boat

Without a doubt the worst part of the boat, unreliable, massive issues at every level.

But the bloke next to me had an identical engine in his boat and it never missed a beat - ever.

I did try to steal his and swap it for mine but they are really really heavy.
__________________

__________________
James

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 03:49   #3
Registered User
 
klubko's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: aboard, Borneo
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"
Posts: 97
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

We have D1-30 and apart from a corroded heat-exchanger (due to idiotic exhaust installation and possibly also bad casting - installation done by Volvo Penta in Malaysia...) it has been working like a charm for 3 years now. When we bought our boat, lots of people told us how bad Volvo Penta are and then others told that they take a good care of their VP and they had no issues at all. Trouble is, that once you have an issue, it's costs a lot.
__________________
Petr & Jana
s/y Janna, http://www.klubko.net
klubko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 04:57   #4
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

There were some early problems with the EVC system, which contributed to the reputation of the engine. However its a good solid perfromer and reliable at that. Of course parts are quickly available, but cost a small fortune.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 05:35   #5
Registered User
 
Portobello's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hobart
Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
Posts: 231
Images: 5
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

Some of the smaller Volvo Pentas are re badged Perkins motors. My D1-20 for example. I have been very happy with it for the 400 hours I have owned it since new.
__________________
Love the journey!
Portobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 06:40   #6
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

We have 2 of the Volvo Penta D1-30F engines which run great.
These are just marinized Perkins 403D-11 engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VP_D1-30F_Engine.jpg
Views:	2670
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	28847  
__________________
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 00:16   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tromsų, Norway
Boat: One off steel sloop 38 ft
Posts: 27
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

Thanks everybody! One often only hears the horror-stories. Good to know that VP not necessarily must mean rubbish.
Jonathon: where's the bloke with the flawless motor? Maybe I can swap mine when things happen to go wrong
Walter
__________________
Boatwayupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 07:16   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: on sea
Boat: Endurance 35
Posts: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to arvin
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

right now I wish I had any other engine but not volvo . my boat came with a brand new volvo penta D2-40 but since then I am having problems the black magic box; then my injector pump brokes simply in pieces . I just buy a new injector pump 2000 Euro all I got . now I still couldnt make the engine work . its good engine when it works if you need pictures of the engine and the broken pieces to belive I will send you . and belive me its only 700 hours .
__________________
arvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 08:06   #9
Registered User
 
jram's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 57
We like both of ours. Only 700 hours but no problems at all!
__________________
jram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 19:00   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 26
Images: 5
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

The heat exchanger manifold on mine at 353 hours was eaten through by cross contamination do to design default. The O-Ring on the rear cap does not seal, allowing salt water to eat away the cast iron until it breaches into the coolant. You won't know that it has happened until you see an excretion out the sides of the rear cap. There is as I'm sure you've seen, another guy with 30 hours with the same problem. I would not buy Volvo again because of the cost of parts (manifold heat exchanger) $2000.00
A bad design and they will not stand behind there engines. I take care on the scheduled maintenance as provided in the owners manual and better.
I change out every spring all filters and syn oil, fuel filters as well. So on my part, I do it. On their part, they've dropped the ball big time as far as I'm concerned. It does run well, great economy, forget the service, too costly, as well as parts as stated. STAY AWAY FROM VOLVO !!!!!!
__________________
Rolloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 19:13   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 26
Images: 5
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwayupnorth View Post
Hi all,
I'm looking at a used boat with a brand new Volvo Penta diesel (D2 40 EVC MS 15). I have heard some not so good stories about the smaller Volvo Penta diesels (e.g. on this forum) and am a bit leery towards them. Therefore my question: Has anybody first hand experience with this motor?
Regards
Walter
THE D2 MODELS ARE ALL FLAWED AT THE REAR CAP ON THE HEAT EXCHANGER, THEY DON'T SEAL, OVER TIME THE SALT EATS THE CAST IRON AND YOU HAVE CROSS CONTAMINATION AND A BIG HEADACHE.
DO NOT BUY A VOLVO AT ALL COST, EXPENSIVE PARTS, AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM NORTH AMERICA REP, I WON'T SAY WHO BUT ANY ONE WHO HAS CONTACTED THEM KNOW WHOM HE IS.
KEEP LOOKING. ROLLO
__________________
Rolloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 19:37   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 26
Images: 5
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwayupnorth View Post
Hi all,
I'm looking at a used boat with a brand new Volvo Penta diesel (D2 40 EVC MS 15). I have heard some not so good stories about the smaller Volvo Penta diesels (e.g. on this forum) and am a bit leery towards them. Therefore my question: Has anybody first hand experience with this motor?
Regards
Walter
THE D2 MODELS ARE ALL FLAWED AT THE REAR CAP ON THE HEAT EXCHANGER, THEY DON'T SEAL, OVER TIME THE SALT EATS THE CAST IRON AND YOU HAVE CROSS CONTAMINATION AND A BIG HEADACHE.
DO NOT BUY A VOLVO AT ALL COST, EXPENSIVE PARTS, AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM NORTH AMERICA REP, I WON'T SAY WHO BUT ANY ONE WHO HAS CONTACTED THEM KNOW WHOM HE IS.
KEEP LOOKING. ROLLO
__________________
Rolloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 19:59   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,371
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

Perkins 403D-11
anyone know who makes it for Perkins?
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 16:55   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 26
Images: 5
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubko View Post
We have D1-30 and apart from a corroded heat-exchanger (due to idiotic exhaust installation and possibly also bad casting - installation done by Volvo Penta in Malaysia...) it has been working like a charm for 3 years now. When we bought our boat, lots of people told us how bad Volvo Penta are and then others told that they take a good care of their VP and they had no issues at all. Trouble is, that once you have an issue, it's costs a lot.
Its not a bad casting, its a bad design. The O-Ring at the rear cap does not seal. As you said, it eats away the cast iron and now you have the problem. As stated before, it can be catastrophic in the sense of overheating, or worse, when, like I said you need it the most. Steer clear of any danger while motoring if you can, I for one do not rely on my D2-40 to keep me out of harms way. Its a conscious decision to do so, if I have to hoist sail I make dam sure I have the time and space to do it, unless I'm docking in my slip which is a different ball game, not much danger of life and limb.
Rollo
__________________
Rolloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:31   #15
oem
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vejle, Denmark
Boat: Vindų 995 ds
Posts: 133
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolloh View Post
I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

The heat exchanger manifold on mine at 353 hours was eaten through by cross contamination do to design default. The O-Ring on the rear cap does not seal, allowing salt water to eat away the cast iron until it breaches into the coolant. You won't know that it has happened until you see an excretion out the sides of the rear cap. There is as I'm sure you've seen, another guy with 30 hours with the same problem. I would not buy Volvo again because of the cost of parts (manifold heat exchanger) $2000.00
A bad design and they will not stand behind there engines. I take care on the scheduled maintenance as provided in the owners manual and better.
I change out every spring all filters and syn oil, fuel filters as well. So on my part, I do it. On their part, they've dropped the ball big time as far as I'm concerned. It does run well, great economy, forget the service, too costly, as well as parts as stated. STAY AWAY FROM VOLVO !!!!!!
Doesn't sound good, - since I just bought a brand new D2-40. It has 0.7 hours up to now

At least I'm aware of the problem now.

Could something be done to prevent the failure? An o-ring (possibly a better one than the original) should be rather cheap to replace, if it's possible technically? What would you do in my position?
__________________

__________________
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
penta, volvo

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'02 Volvo Penta Engine S Campbell Engines and Propulsion Systems 91 19-08-2014 05:56
Volvo Penta Parts w1651 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 16-03-2011 19:22
Volvo Penta D2-55 eodjet Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 06-03-2011 13:46
Volvo Penta Manuals seagasm Engines and Propulsion Systems 6 11-08-2010 15:36
Volvo-Penta MD3B GordMay Engines and Propulsion Systems 6 14-01-2004 23:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.