Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2011, 01:53   #1

Boat: One off steel sloop 38 ft
Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

Hi all,
I'm looking at a used boat with a brand new Volvo Penta diesel (D2 40 EVC MS 15). I have heard some not so good stories about the smaller Volvo Penta diesels (e.g. on this forum) and am a bit leery towards them. Therefore my question: Has anybody first hand experience with this motor?
Regards
Walter
Boatwayupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 01:57   #2

Boat: Custom
Re: Volvo Penta D2 40 - opinions

I had a 2005 55hp in my last boat

Without a doubt the worst part of the boat, unreliable, massive issues at every level.

But the bloke next to me had an identical engine in his boat and it never missed a beat - ever.

I did try to steal his and swap it for mine but they are really really heavy.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 02:49   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"

We have D1-30 and apart from a corroded heat-exchanger (due to idiotic exhaust installation and possibly also bad casting - installation done by Volvo Penta in Malaysia...) it has been working like a charm for 3 years now. When we bought our boat, lots of people told us how bad Volvo Penta are and then others told that they take a good care of their VP and they had no issues at all. Trouble is, that once you have an issue, it's costs a lot.
Old 22-06-2011, 03:57   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

There were some early problems with the EVC system, which contributed to the reputation of the engine. However its a good solid perfromer and reliable at that. Of course parts are quickly available, but cost a small fortune.

Dave
Old 22-06-2011, 04:35   #5

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"

Some of the smaller Volvo Pentas are re badged Perkins motors. My D1-20 for example. I have been very happy with it for the 400 hours I have owned it since new.
Old 22-06-2011, 05:40   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We have 2 of the Volvo Penta D1-30F engines which run great.
These are just marinized Perkins 403D-11 engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VP_D1-30F_Engine.jpg
Views:	4655
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	28847  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 23:16   #7

Boat: One off steel sloop 38 ft

Thanks everybody! One often only hears the horror-stories. Good to know that VP not necessarily must mean rubbish.
Jonathon: where's the bloke with the flawless motor? Maybe I can swap mine when things happen to go wrong
Walter
Boatwayupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 06:16   #8

Boat: Endurance 35
Send a message via Skype™ to arvin

right now I wish I had any other engine but not volvo . my boat came with a brand new volvo penta D2-40 but since then I am having problems the black magic box; then my injector pump brokes simply in pieces . I just buy a new injector pump 2000 Euro all I got . now I still couldnt make the engine work . its good engine when it works if you need pictures of the engine and the broken pieces to belive I will send you . and belive me its only 700 hours .
arvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 07:06   #9

We like both of ours. Only 700 hours but no problems at all!
jram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:00   #10

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

The heat exchanger manifold on mine at 353 hours was eaten through by cross contamination do to design default. The O-Ring on the rear cap does not seal, allowing salt water to eat away the cast iron until it breaches into the coolant. You won't know that it has happened until you see an excretion out the sides of the rear cap. There is as I'm sure you've seen, another guy with 30 hours with the same problem. I would not buy Volvo again because of the cost of parts (manifold heat exchanger) $2000.00
A bad design and they will not stand behind there engines. I take care on the scheduled maintenance as provided in the owners manual and better.
I change out every spring all filters and syn oil, fuel filters as well. So on my part, I do it. On their part, they've dropped the ball big time as far as I'm concerned. It does run well, great economy, forget the service, too costly, as well as parts as stated. STAY AWAY FROM VOLVO !!!!!!
Rolloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwayupnorth View Post
Hi all,
I'm looking at a used boat with a brand new Volvo Penta diesel (D2 40 EVC MS 15). I have heard some not so good stories about the smaller Volvo Penta diesels (e.g. on this forum) and am a bit leery towards them. Therefore my question: Has anybody first hand experience with this motor?
Regards
Walter
THE D2 MODELS ARE ALL FLAWED AT THE REAR CAP ON THE HEAT EXCHANGER, THEY DON'T SEAL, OVER TIME THE SALT EATS THE CAST IRON AND YOU HAVE CROSS CONTAMINATION AND A BIG HEADACHE.
DO NOT BUY A VOLVO AT ALL COST, EXPENSIVE PARTS, AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM NORTH AMERICA REP, I WON'T SAY WHO BUT ANY ONE WHO HAS CONTACTED THEM KNOW WHOM HE IS.
KEEP LOOKING. ROLLO
Old 05-05-2014, 18:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwayupnorth View Post
Hi all,
Regards
Walter
THE D2 MODELS ARE ALL FLAWED AT THE REAR CAP ON THE HEAT EXCHANGER, THEY DON'T SEAL, OVER TIME THE SALT EATS THE CAST IRON AND YOU HAVE CROSS CONTAMINATION AND A BIG HEADACHE.
DO NOT BUY A VOLVO AT ALL COST, EXPENSIVE PARTS, AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM NORTH AMERICA REP, I WON'T SAY WHO BUT ANY ONE WHO HAS CONTACTED THEM KNOW WHOM HE IS.
KEEP LOOKING. ROLLO
Old 05-05-2014, 18:59   #13

Perkins 403D-11
anyone know who makes it for Perkins?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 15:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubko View Post
We have D1-30 and apart from a corroded heat-exchanger (due to idiotic exhaust installation and possibly also bad casting - installation done by Volvo Penta in Malaysia...) it has been working like a charm for 3 years now. When we bought our boat, lots of people told us how bad Volvo Penta are and then others told that they take a good care of their VP and they had no issues at all. Trouble is, that once you have an issue, it's costs a lot.
Its not a bad casting, its a bad design. The O-Ring at the rear cap does not seal. As you said, it eats away the cast iron and now you have the problem. As stated before, it can be catastrophic in the sense of overheating, or worse, when, like I said you need it the most. Steer clear of any danger while motoring if you can, I for one do not rely on my D2-40 to keep me out of harms way. Its a conscious decision to do so, if I have to hoist sail I make dam sure I have the time and space to do it, unless I'm docking in my slip which is a different ball game, not much danger of life and limb.
Rollo
Old 11-05-2014, 11:31   #15
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolloh View Post
I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

The heat exchanger manifold on mine at 353 hours was eaten through by cross contamination do to design default. The O-Ring on the rear cap does not seal, allowing salt water to eat away the cast iron until it breaches into the coolant. You won't know that it has happened until you see an excretion out the sides of the rear cap. There is as I'm sure you've seen, another guy with 30 hours with the same problem. I would not buy Volvo again because of the cost of parts (manifold heat exchanger) $2000.00
A bad design and they will not stand behind there engines. I take care on the scheduled maintenance as provided in the owners manual and better.
I change out every spring all filters and syn oil, fuel filters as well. So on my part, I do it. On their part, they've dropped the ball big time as far as I'm concerned. It does run well, great economy, forget the service, too costly, as well as parts as stated. STAY AWAY FROM VOLVO !!!!!!
Doesn't sound good, - since I just bought a brand new D2-40. It has 0.7 hours up to now

At least I'm aware of the problem now.

Could something be done to prevent the failure? An o-ring (possibly a better one than the original) should be rather cheap to replace, if it's possible technically? What would you do in my position?
oem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo