Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-07-2015, 16:42   #16

Boat: Boro Benito 42 ft Ketch
Re: volvo penta 2003t no start, no try, no nothing...

I have a workshop manual including wiring diagram. Please drop me a line at yachtmaster58@gmail.com and I'll email it to you

Old 27-07-2015, 17:55   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/vo...002_worksh.pdf

Old 27-07-2015, 17:56   #18

http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/vo...2002_owner.pdf

http://bluemoment.com/downloads.html other engines

Cold start proceedure for VP 2xxx series:

In Neutral,advance throttle to 3/4 +
Pull out fully on Stop handle.
Push in fully on Stop handle.
Crank engine.
When it starts,reduce throttle slowly to 1500 RPM,or it will stall.
After 10-15 sec @ 1500,reduce throttle slowly to idle.

Regarding leaks on copper piping:
Buy a selection of the rubber seal rings from VP dealer.There are 4-5 different sizes/part nos. on these engines & you will need them. Don't reuse old dried up seals-they will leak.
Don't try any sealants/goop on them.
Buy or make the new design seal retainer for the Heat Exchgr end bell.(May not be applicable to 2003T. Mine is a straight 2003.

Google Volvo Penta 2003T.There is a fair amount of info on web.

Cheers/Len
Old 27-07-2015, 17:58   #19

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I think your on the right track. I have the same model.

Before you go jumping it, can I suggest you put a socket on the crank and give it a slow turn over to make sure she's free enough. There's a green cap on the external crank which you just need to knock off with a hammer first, it's just above your water pump.

I'd also suggest given it's a new boat to you, that as soon as you can you remove your heat exchanger and service it and then also remove the oil exchanger and serve that. It's well hidden but once you have the heat exchanger of then it's easy to get to. The oil exchanger is notorious for corroding away to nothing with no warning.
Old 27-07-2015, 18:00   #20

Cold start

And given the model doesn't have glow plugs, it does have a cold start system which at least on mine works really well. This is in the 'stop' lever, which you need to pull all the way out for a few seconds, then push it back in and then start the engine. This seems to stump a lot of owners new to the 2000 series.
Old 27-07-2015, 18:00   #21

Boat: 1968 Sparkman and Stephens. '1 ton' 36 ft, Kauri
Send a message via Skype™ to Saltyrope

Hi. First thing is to pull stop lever on all the way. That 'primes' the engine and is a 'cold start' procedure. The starter motor is an interesting wee beast with planetary gears that in turn drive the main 'cog' that engages the ring gear. It is a while since I had my onesapart which had the same symptoms as yours. Basically, I found my starter motor needed a good clean of all the moving parts and electrical connections etc. Once out of course the starter motor can be bench tested. The problem was basically high resistance in the electrical path combined with sticking mechanical operation. Suggestyou take the starter off and bench test it but don't be fooled if it goes as once back it may not be getting full current or voltage so a starter service plus a voltage drop test at the starter terminal and current test may shed some light on what is happening. The clamp over wire leads testing equipment is an easy way to check the flow of electricity. All the best. Regards, John.
Old 27-07-2015, 18:11   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think your on the right track. I have the same model.

Before you go jumping it, can I suggest you put a socket on the crank and give it a slow turn over to make sure she's free enough. There's a green cap on the external crank which you just need to knock off with a hammer first, it's just above your water pump.

I'd also suggest given it's a new boat to you, that as soon as you can you remove your heat exchanger and service it and then also remove the oil exchanger and serve that. It's well hidden but once you have the heat exchanger of then it's easy to get to. The oil exchanger is notorious for corroding away to nothing with no warning.
I second the warning on the oil cooler. It's made of aluminum so, because there's no zinc on this motor, the oil cooler is of the mistaken belief that being an anode is it's job. Of course it's under the heat exchanger so you can't see the problem until it's dumping oil in your bilge. An oil pressure alarm would be a good idea but it better be really loud. Volvo wants $1,700 for the part so I'd recommend an after market oil cooler with a built in zinc. I bought one from Lenco for less than $150. If you install one before the Volvo oil cooler dissolves you will be ahead of the game.
Lenco Coolers - marine heat exchangers, marine oil coolers
Old 27-07-2015, 18:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I second the warning on the oil cooler. It's made of aluminum so, because there's no zinc on this motor, the oil cooler is of the mistaken belief that being an anode is it's job. Of course it's under the heat exchanger so you can't see the problem until it's dumping oil in your bilge. An oil pressure alarm would be a good idea but it better be really loud. Volvo wants $1,700 for the part so I'd recommend an after market oil cooler with a built in zinc. I bought one from Lenco for less than $150. If you install one before the Volvo oil cooler dissolves you will be ahead of the game.
Lenco Coolers - marine heat exchangers, marine oil coolers

yep. I replaced first my oil cooler and then last year I replaced my heat exchanger as well. They say that because they are fresh water cooled you don't need zinc protection, but I think that's rubbish. When I replaced my oil cooler I honestly don't know how my engine was still operating. The insides were just a sealed up welded mess. I still don't have any zinc protection with my two after market coolers, but they are both fully maintenance able. And cheap. I paid $130 for the oil cooler and I got a heat exchanger with a cooler tank built in for $600. Not sure I'd recommend the cooler tank option as I later had to add an expansion tank to get this to work properly. But it beats the $1800 I'd have to spend on a replacement heat exchanger.
Old 27-07-2015, 20:37   #24

Boat: custom built 21 ft cruiser

I would like to get the engine info myself, but someone has painted over the decal on the valve cover. I have done some research and the engine is a 2003. No turbo.
Now for the good news. I got it running. I guess I can add diesel mechanic to my doctorate! hahaha. [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-27 16.57.15.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	106210

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-27 16.57.23.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	106211[/ATTACH]
Old 27-07-2015, 22:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynard View Post
I would like to get the engine info myself, but someone has painted over the decal on the valve cover. I have done some research and the engine is a 2003. No turbo.
Now for the good news. I got it running. I guess I can add diesel mechanic to my doctorate! hahaha. [ATTACH]Attachment 106210

Attachment 106211[/ATTACH]
Out of interest, how are you adding water into it whilst it's on the stand? Are you letting it such out of a bucket?
Old 28-07-2015, 19:04   #26

I ran a garden hose in to the raw water intake. I ran it for about an hour just to check everything out. My biggest problem was with the starter/solenoid. Both were seized up. Add that to the fact that a rat got inside and made a helluva mess, and chewed up some wiring, it took me 4 days so far to get in back ship shape.
Now, just have to get it out and fill it up with crabs and prawns!
Old 28-07-2015, 19:40   #27

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
I ran a garden hose in to the raw water intake. I ran it for about an hour just to check everything out. My biggest problem was with the starter/solenoid. Both were seized up. Add that to the fact that a rat got inside and made a helluva mess, and chewed up some wiring, it took me 4 days so far to get in back ship shape.
Never hook a hose up to the raw water intake. It's very easy to have water back into the cylinders resulting in hydrolock.
Old 28-07-2015, 19:54   #28

Quote:
Rustic & Scout-he has the good old basic 2003 like me.
Genuine all bronze heat exchanger!!!!

waynard-nice looking boat from what I can see in pics.

You are very lucky that you didn,t flood the engine with water & water lock it. This happens when you force water into the intake with a hose.The water runs thru the heat exchanger to the exhaust riser elbow,& then backwards thru the exhaust manifold & into the cylinders thru open exhaust valves. When water gets into a cyl. & you try to crank it over,water doesn't compress & piston(s) fetch up,bending conn. rods & other nasty things.
The proper way is to remove the water intake hose from the thru hull/skin fitting/seacock & stick hose in a pail of water.You can keep the pail full with a garden hose,as engine sucks water from pail.

I noticed in a pic. that there is a lot of un-supported shaft between hull & prop. If you encounter vibration ,this could be the cause of it.

I would like to know the diameter & pitch of your prop.It is stamped on the prop hub. Mine is 17 X 14 LH 17" dia. 14" pitch Turns Left Hand (CCW) looking at prop from behind boat.

Cheers/ Len
Old 28-07-2015, 20:16   #29

when I turned the hose on, it was just enough to keep up with the pump. It was not forced into the motor. But I like your idea of drawing it through a bucket instead.
The boat itself is a double ender, built on the hull of a lifeboat from a Canadian merchant ship. The fella that built it, started on it when he was 72. He was a retired boat builder.
There isn't another one like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-28 19.08.26.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	106281  
Old 28-07-2015, 20:29   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Rustic & Scout-he has the good old basic 2003 like me.
Genuine all bronze heat exchanger!!!!

waynard-nice looking boat from what I can see in pics.

You are very lucky that you didn,t flood the engine with water & water lock it. This happens when you force water into the intake with a hose.The water runs thru the heat exchanger to the exhaust riser elbow,& then backwards thru the exhaust manifold & into the cylinders thru open exhaust valves. When water gets into a cyl. & you try to crank it over,water doesn't compress & piston(s) fetch up,bending conn. rods & other nasty things.
The proper way is to remove the water intake hose from the thru hull/skin fitting/seacock & stick hose in a pail of water.You can keep the pail full with a garden hose,as engine sucks water from pail.

I noticed in a pic. that there is a lot of un-supported shaft between hull & prop. If you encounter vibration ,this could be the cause of it.

I would like to know the diameter & pitch of your prop.It is stamped on the prop hub. Mine is 17 X 14 LH 17" dia. 14" pitch Turns Left Hand (CCW) looking at prop from behind boat.

Cheers/ Len
My prop (this one anyhow) is a 16 x 13 RH 16". It turns clockwise. I have two other spare props but haven't looked at them yet.

Tags
penta, volvo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: