Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 01:11   #91
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Nope, can't seem to get that to work. It's natural place is 'up', when I squeeze the primer lever its down.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 02:09   #92
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

I got it. Instructions were in the manual.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 01:01   #93
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

guys,

someone mentioned adding a 'day' tank to which I transfer fuel from the keel tank into the day tank through a filter and then use the day tank to run off.

Can someone mind explaining to me how this works? How to set it up?
I'm presuming I would have to manually transfer diesel?
If so how can I set that up so it doesn't overflow the smaller tank?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 02:33   #94
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Either you watch it like a hawk, or you fit a high level shutoff, or you run an overflow back to the main tank.

I would just use a jerrycan with a pipe or two stuck in it for now, but you know I like crude solutions!

Twenty litres should run your boat for about 4-6 hours. So set an alarm and top it up every 3 hours.
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:26   #95
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Either you watch it like a hawk, or you fit a high level shutoff, or you run an overflow back to the main tank.

I would just use a jerrycan with a pipe or two stuck in it for now, but you know I like crude solutions!

Twenty litres should run your boat for about 4-6 hours. So set an alarm and top it up every 3 hours.
Ben, I'd love to see your boat one day. My imagination is rife with what I might see

High level shut off or an overflow sounds good to me.

For the time being I am simply going to use a Gerry can. That's how I got it the last ten miles to the Tamar.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:38   #96
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Sounds good. The overflow system is probably the simplest. It can even be left running as a fuel polisher. At the moment my boat is a mess!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 00:59   #97
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Hows progress RC? Any joy?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 02:29   #98
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Hows progress RC? Any joy?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I can't seem to get down there. My wife is away in Europe and is back in another week. So I'm tied up each weekend and some evenings between ballet, gymnastics and singing

But, I'm ready to go. I've done the pump. Cut the gaskets/shim's for the injector pumps.

And the club moved my boat back to my own mooring today after it was finally repaired. Sent me a hefty bill for using the club mooring.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 03:10   #99
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Ahh, such is life! At least you are all set for when you get the chance. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 02:07   #100
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

To summarise my new problem

I've had a problem getting my engine to go. I intend on getting a new engine next winter (June July 2017) but for now I'd really like to get the engine in it going so I can at least get my boat to the dock to work on it and up the river the 7 hours to do the work in engine replacement.

The problem is that I was wrongly advised that the fuel injectors were damaged so I took them out to get them serviced. One of the shim's fell apart. Two I have saved. But all six of the soft shim's are stuffed too. I was careful to make sure I put them back in the correct holes.

The diesel specialist gave me some paper of the same thickness to make gaskets instead of shim's. Today I put it all back together, but it didn't work. Using some ether (areostart) I got it going but it wouldn't last more than a minute. Hense I really think it's now a callibration problem due to the lack of shim's.

Do the markings on the pump identify the appropriate measurements? (As in the photo)

Or do I now need a Volvo specialist to now measure and advise me what shim's and gaskets I need?

I do have the manual, but I don't find the workshop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	126386  
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 02:55   #101
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Thats no good RC. Hope you can figure it out.

I once spill timed a diesel engine (under instruction so dont ask me how to do it). I am guessing that is going to be the only way to get the timing right if thats the issue.

Is fuel actually being delivered?

Are you getting any black smoke?

I am no engineer, but I guess it could also be a throttle or governor issue. Prehaps even the shut off solenoid?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 03:00   #102
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thats no good RC. Hope you can figure it out.

I once spill timed a diesel engine (under instruction so dont ask me how to do it). I am guessing that is going to be the only way to get the timing right if thats the issue.

Is fuel actually being delivered?

Are you getting any black smoke?

I am no engineer, but I guess it could also be a throttle or governor issue. Prehaps even the shut off solenoid?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes, seem to be getting fuel now. No black smoke. Accelorator didn't seem to do anything when it was briefly going with ether.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 03:17   #103
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Is the fuel actually going through the pumps into the cylinders?

As I keep saying I am no engineer, and I am keen to learn as much as anything, and hopefully a real engineer will chime in and correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that undoing one, or all of the high presure lines from the top of the injector pumps and seeing if fuel actually comes out if you crank the engine would be a good check on the entire setup. If you arent getting any fuel then its probably not the timing or the shims that are the issue.

This is basically how we spill timed the engine I was trained on. We checked that each line trickled fuel at the right timing marks on the flywheel to correspond with the correct angle before TDC for each cylinder. There is a little check valve at the top. I can remember if we left it on or removed it?

As always with the HP side be careful of squirting diesel, it can be at lethal presures. And extreme cleanliness is absolutly critical.
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 03:33   #104
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Is the fuel actually going through the pumps into the cylinders?

As I keep saying I am no engineer, and I am keen to learn as much as anything, and hopefully a real engineer will chime in and correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that undoing one, or all of the high presure lines from the top of the injector pumps and seeing if fuel actually comes out if you crank the engine would be a good check on the entire setup. If you arent getting any fuel then its probably not the timing or the shims that are the issue.

This is basically how we spill timed the engine I was trained on. We checked that each line trickled fuel at the right timing marks on the flywheel to correspond with the correct angle before TDC for each cylinder. There is a little check valve at the top. I can remember if we left it on or removed it?

As always with the HP side be careful of squirting diesel, it can be at lethal presures. And extreme cleanliness is absolutly critical.
Yes, I think so. I cracked the nuts on each and got the air out. I have no idea to work out whether each is getting fuel at the correct time though.

I've also cracked each nut on each fuel pump and lots of diesel, which also tells me it's going to the cylinders.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 06:35   #105
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Ok, that sounds promising. At least they are pumping some fuel then.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
injector pump, penta, volvo

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pumps, pumps and more pumps. Winf Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 13 07-03-2016 09:43
Volvo Penta 2003T water leak Rustic Charm Engines and Propulsion Systems 60 17-01-2015 14:22
Would you ever consider buying a boat with a Volvo Penta 2003 or 2003T engine? JulieMac Engines and Propulsion Systems 39 22-02-2014 02:31
Need Volvo Penta 2003T oil cooler Gator Engines and Propulsion Systems 0 05-03-2013 14:22
Want To Buy: Volvo Penta 2003T Heat Exchanger corlfoot Classifieds Archive 0 12-10-2012 21:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.