Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 02:17   #31

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Volvo Penta 2003T Injector Pumps

Easy peasy to remove... cheap to fix ... just use new copper washers when putting it back.

BTW, What does the fuel in your primary filter look like?
Old 05-05-2016, 02:24   #32

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Mine looks like this.. Volvo Penta Fuel Lift Pump

The tongue on the left is what I would call the actuator.. is inside the engine in 'air'... no oil in that bit...
Oh ok well mine looks the same. But I thought the actuator was in the block in oil?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:37   #33

No... is well above the oil.
Just need to use an allen key to undo two set screws(?) having taken off the fuel in fuel out lines.
I think I also had to spin off my fine fuel filter but that was a different engine to yours.

As always...all care no responsibility etc
Old 05-05-2016, 02:54   #34

Clean filter mesh under feed pump top cover.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:48   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
Clean filter mesh under feed pump top cover.
Yeah, will do
Old 05-05-2016, 12:50   #36

Boat: Outbound 44

If you decide to buy a new lift pump be aware that there are two versions. The newer version is all you will find for sale. The output position on the new pump is in a different position than the old one, meaning you also have to buy the hardpipe that goes to the fuel filter if you had the original pump on the engine. The pump is a reasonable price, the pipe is expensive.

If all you need is to get to the mooring, why not just tie the dink to the quarter and motor it out? I'd rather put money into a bigger dinghy engine that throw it into this engine . You've transitioned into the Death by a thousand paper cuts realm on this engine.
Old 05-05-2016, 14:30   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If you decide to buy a new lift pump be aware that there are two versions. The newer version is all you will find for sale. The output position on the new pump is in a different position than the old one, meaning you also have to buy the hardpipe that goes to the fuel filter if you had the original pump on the engine. The pump is a reasonable price, the pipe is expensive.

If all you need is to get to the mooring, why not just tie the dink to the quarter and motor it out? I'd rather put money into a bigger dinghy engine that throw it into this engine . You've transitioned into the Death by a thousand paper cuts realm on this engine.
Neither mine or the clubs courtesy dingy are big enough to tow it in anything than dead still weather.
Old 05-05-2016, 16:28   #38

Well just got my injector pumps back today$346. that's good money for three pumps work.

just to check, clean and replace some copper washers and three 'o' rings and there was nothing wrong with them. Seems the mechanic missed the lift pump as being the problem as that's the only thing left now.

It seems I'll have this engine operating at least until I can afford a new engine which I'll plan for next winter. Which is really handy as I was dreading being towed for 7 hours up the river next year. And it means I can go freely from the jetty to my mooring.
Old 05-05-2016, 16:35   #39

Either the lift pump or air getting into the system further upstream.

Those lift pumps are an easy and cheap thing to fix in my experience... once that is sorted what is really wrong with the engine?

How much did you say a new one would cost??
Old 05-05-2016, 16:51   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Either the lift pump or air getting into the system further upstream.

Those lift pumps are an easy and cheap thing to fix in my experience... once that is sorted what is really wrong with the engine?

How much did you say a new one would cost??
It's not that this one can be patched up and running again. It's the fact that I'm fed up with spending more and more money on it. That's another $346 today, the mechanic was $80 I paid yesterday. Whatever the lift pump will cost to repair and it still needs a new exhaust elbow ($480) and new engine mounts ($269 each), a new shaft in the water pump">raw water pump ($ ?), and a new Turbo spindle ($?) and no doubt a new seal kit put through the Turbo again. Both the raw water pump and Turbo were both patched up last year with new kits, but I was warned with both that the shafts really needed replacing.

IN addition to all that, it has annoying oil leaks coming from half a doz places. Nothing major, but enough to continually need the engine bay cleaning.
Old 05-05-2016, 19:31   #41

$ 115.33 per pump, very cheap!!. One short bemoaning paragraph does not do justice to the work involved also the investment to be able to test and correctly calibrate your pumps.
Old 05-05-2016, 20:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
$ 115.33 per pump, very cheap!!. One short bemoaning paragraph does not do justice to the work involved also the investment to be able to test and correctly calibrate your pumps.
They arn't 'calibrated', not according to the injector guy. That bit is done on the motor. He did have to 'put them on a machine' and test them, but other than that he just cleaned them. In any case, I've now discounted them as the issue.
Old 05-05-2016, 22:15   #43

Within the diesel repair community the process of matching output to speed is known as calibration or to synchronize. I am sure a quick Google will further your diesel engine knowledge. Generally the process of onsite adjustment is known as balancing.
If the lift pump condition could be posted that would be great, Thanks.
Old 06-05-2016, 19:31   #44

If I completely by pass the lift pump and install a simple 12v ($13) fuel pump would it work?

Does the pump do anything more than 'pump'?
Old 06-05-2016, 20:20   #45

Boat: Outbound 44

De pump Mon, she just pump.

Tags
injector pump, penta, volvo