Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 18:55   #31

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Volvo Penta 2003 / Starting

Paul l, true, but it is normal to be able to re-seat the bottom of the copper inserts, either with the Volvo service tool, or with a suitably sized dowel fitted with a bit of sandpaper on the end. Use it like a hand valve grinding tool, and continue until the sealing surface is shiny and ridge free. Usually a good, leak free seal between the injector and the copper can be achieved, without head removal, and without replacing the copper inserts.
I have always been able to get them to re-seal, but I absolutely agree there are probably engines out there that need new copper inserts.
Leaks from the injector bases are pretty common on these engines, but, as above, not usually too hard to fix.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-02-2016, 03:12   #32

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Paul l, true, but it is normal to be able to re-seat the bottom of the copper inserts, either with the Volvo service tool, or with a suitably sized dowel fitted with a bit of sandpaper on the end. Use it like a hand valve grinding tool, and continue until the sealing surface is shiny and ridge free. Usually a good, leak free seal between the injector and the copper can be achieved, without head removal, and without replacing the copper inserts.
I have always been able to get them to re-seal, but I absolutely agree there are probably engines out there that need new copper inserts.
Leaks from the injector bases are pretty common on these engines, but, as above, not usually too hard to fix.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the diesel seems to come somehow in the base where in injector connects with the head...
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:08   #33

Boat: Outbound 44

Matt
I took an injector to a machine shop and had them turn a blank to use as a finishing tool. In the end to get it leak free we had to replace the sleeves.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:23   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
the diesel seems to come somehow in the base where in injector connects with the head...
Mine looked like that, but turned out to be the return lines I think, just slightly loose connections which allowed fuel to build up in the recess around the injectors.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:36   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Usually hard starting is one of three issues.
1. Low compression.
2. Loss of prime, means air gets into the system and makes one hard to start, I had an air leak in a filter bleed screw from its O ring once, engine was always hard to start, and sometime would shut down right after starting, requiring a restart. Eventually got so bad it wouldn't start and I had to find and fix it, it would leak air in when engine was off, but not enough to cause running issues once running.
3. starter not spinning it fast enough, sometimes this can even be wrong grade of engine oil. Low batteries, loose connections, worn starter.

Might want to google Diesel loss of prime, its pretty common
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:17   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

And No 4 would be because it is dammed cold.

VT, don't forget there is a decompression lever on the front of the rocker box on these engines if you want to spin it over quicker.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:31   #37

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

OK, to test if loosing primed is the problem I can install manual prime pump like on a car and see if this fix the problem if yes will just need to change all houses with new one and new clamps and make sure I do not have leaks on the way

for the diesel around injectors will take a look at the return path also...
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 02:54   #38

Boat: Challenger 36

On my 2003, starting problems fixed after new (second hand) injectors installed, and cold start mechanism checked.
PegasusIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:32   #39

Boat: Moody 34

What´s about the engine gets no fuel....if read the threat , nobody suggested to supply the engine with diesel out of a small tank or use some starter spray....
I had the Volvo Penta water separator clogged up. Inside the separator is a ball valve which disables return flow into the tank. I had always the feeling that the engine didn't get enough fuel. Changed the fuel pump ...worked ok for 2 years...This year the engine failed...Problem that I didn't have imperial sockets in order to take the separator apart...bought the tools...and found that there was a lot of dirt around the valve ball.
Have a look here:
https://pbase.com/mainecruising/rebuilding_a_racor_

After repair (cleaning) I can hear now the splashing from the diesel return line in the tank...
This problem also happens with other brands not only with Racor
baltic sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo