Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2013, 06:20   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Volvo Penta 2003 overheating - why?

I'll bet you a beer that if you open the coolant drain on the starboard side of the engine it will not drip anything, i.e. it will be blocked up. Dig it out and drain coolant and then use a radiator cleaner to flush the block.
Old 29-07-2013, 06:23   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The fist thing I would try is changing or putting the old impellor back in to be sure that you haven't fitted a new but duff one.

Have you replaced the anode and had a good dig around inside the block through the hole and also the raw water drain tap located parallel but further back almost under the exhaust? When you take the anode out if you run the engine does water pour everywhere showing a good flow not just the block draining down. Alternatively try the hose coming off the water pump but its close to the fan belt.

The hose that go from the inlet to the gearbox should be easy enough to check and the pipe that goes through the gearbox possibly with a coat hanger and mirror.

Finally there is a copper pipe that raw water runs through the engine that is liable to block up. You can see the exit at the back of the engine under the exhaust manifold. I haven't been in that far but its another possible problem.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 14:52   #18

Pete7's advice worth checking. Happened to me twice, the impeller blades debonded from the metal core, must have been a bad batch.
Slowtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 08:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowtack View Post
Pete7's advice worth checking. Happened to me twice, the impeller blades debonded from the metal core, must have been a bad batch.
The OP stated that the raw water flow was good up until it overheats.
Old 31-07-2013, 15:18   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 375

I don't think it's the impeller, as Paul says there is raw water flow, and the old impeller was fine as well. I tend to replace them every couple of years and they never look worn. I don't really know if there is sufficient raw water flow or not, it does seem a bunch shoots out once I turn up the RPM in neutral. Many of you say to check the coolant/fresh water system so I guess I should do that. Maybe my question is just academic but I still don't understand the physics here. I thought that the engine transfers heat to the coolant, and then the heat exchanger transfers heat from the coolant to the raw water. As far as I can tell there's plenty of heat transfer going on. The coolant must be getting really hot since it causes my domestic hot water tank to overheat leading to water coming out of the hot water heater overflow into the bilge. In addition, there seems to be plenty of heat transfer to the raw water considering the raw water is being turned into steam. Don't both of these things imply that the coolant is circulating well and absorbing lots of heat from the engine as it is supposed to? Or is the cooling system more complicated than I'm making it out to be?
Joe500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 15:50   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe500 View Post
The coolant must be getting really hot since it causes my domestic hot water tank to overheat leading to water coming out of the hot water heater overflow into the bilge.
That is a new piece of data. It is very easy for an airlock to occur in the water heater loop and prevent coolant circulation - resulting in overheating.

My suggestion is to make sure you have coolant circulating. Make sure the water heater loop is bled of air and then bleed air at the highest point in the system.

Maybe remove the water heater hoses and install plugs to rule that out?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 18:25   #22

Boat: Jutson 50
Re: Volvo Penta 2003 overheating - THE ANSWER

Haha, this old chestnut. The answer is that there is a plastic restrictor (un-documented) in the turbo cooling line that moves and blocks the main cooling circuit. Details here:
Old Marine Engine: Overheating on a volvo penta 2003turbo 3 cylinder diesel engine

Good luck with that.
Old 27-11-2013, 03:26   #23

I believe the OP has 2003 , not 2003T. So no turbo. I think the issue you linked to is a real problem with the 2003T turbo green devils.

Tags
heating, overheating, penta, volvo