Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2015, 06:21   #76

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Volvo Penta 2003 (non-turbo), Overheating?

I agree with Paul L. Since you have to remove head,you may as well do valves & seats. Perhaps they will only require compounding. This means new valve seals & head gasket,so you might as well get the complete de-carb gskt kit. Since injectors must come out,may as well get them tested if you can,though if engine has been running smooth,personally I would not be too concerned-your call.
Just to make your Christmas complete,you may want to consider a new SS exhaust ellbow & of course new gskt. here is link to a source of SS ells for various engines Volvo Penta Stainless Steel Exhaust Elbow 840690 Fits 2000 2001 2002 2003 | eBay

No personal experience with this supplier but this is the way I will go next time.
I keep 2 exh. ell gskts on hand at all times as I have had no luck in re-using them. I havehad weeps from the ell to head joint from time to time. I also replaced the 4 ell fastening bolts with new SS ones that I got from Bolt Depot? as my originals were rusted thin first time I cleaned ell. Also,the original bolts don't go very deep into the head threads & one is feeling a bit mushy-ready to strip.Longer bolts wouldn't hurt as the space below them is hollow AFAIK.
Also ,I suggest you go thru your parts diagram & order a bunch of spare rubber seals for the coolant piping on this engine. IIRC there are 4? different styles used & $20-30 will buy a bunch.It is useless to re-use old ones-they will leak.I use a bat. terminal wire brush-looks like a baby bottle brush-to clean the "sockets" for these pipes,a new seal & petroleum jelly Vaseline when re-installing pipes & have had excellent results.

Cheers/ Len

Old 25-10-2015, 08:11   #77

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
I agree with Paul L. Since you have to remove head,you may as well do valves & seats. Perhaps they will only require compounding. This means new valve seals & head gasket,so you might as well get the complete de-carb gskt kit. Since injectors must come out,may as well get them tested if you can,though if engine has been running smooth,personally I would not be too concerned-your call.
Just to make your Christmas complete,you may want to consider a new SS exhaust ellbow & of course new gskt. here is link to a source of SS ells for various engines Volvo Penta Stainless Steel Exhaust Elbow 840690 Fits 2000 2001 2002 2003 | eBay

No personal experience with this supplier but this is the way I will go next time.
I keep 2 exh. ell gskts on hand at all times as I have had no luck in re-using them. I havehad weeps from the ell to head joint from time to time. I also replaced the 4 ell fastening bolts with new SS ones that I got from Bolt Depot? as my originals were rusted thin first time I cleaned ell. Also,the original bolts don't go very deep into the head threads & one is feeling a bit mushy-ready to strip.Longer bolts wouldn't hurt as the space below them is hollow AFAIK.
Also ,I suggest you go thru your parts diagram & order a bunch of spare rubber seals for the coolant piping on this engine. IIRC there are 4? different styles used & $20-30 will buy a bunch.It is useless to re-use old ones-they will leak.I use a bat. terminal wire brush-looks like a baby bottle brush-to clean the "sockets" for these pipes,a new seal & petroleum jelly Vaseline when re-installing pipes & have had excellent results.

Cheers/ Len
good advice. Personally I wouldn't use petroleum jelly though and definitely not Vaseline. If there is any latex in those seals then the jelly will damage the seals. Lanaoline I found great for putting these very seals in place and they stay lubricated.

Old 25-10-2015, 12:07   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

I am surprised that all 3 injectors sleeves are leaking coolant. That doesn't make sense to me. Are you positive that they are leaking coolant and not diesel? All leaking diesel seems a lot more likely and a different fix.
Old 13-11-2015, 17:00   #79

Boat: 40', Farr 38

Absolutely sure! As I wipe away the green coolant it slowly puddles up again in the well that is formed around each injector. Unless my diesel fuel is somehow getting dyed green and smells like coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-11-2015, 18:15   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ben View Post
Absolutely sure! As I wipe away the green coolant it slowly puddles up again in the well that is formed around each injector. Unless my diesel fuel is somehow getting dyed green and smells like coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sounds like copper sleeves are leaking.Hard to believe all 3 would start leaking at same time-possibly due to an overheat?
Sounds like a complete head overhaul this winter.

Cheers/ Len
Old 15-11-2015, 01:00   #81

It is common practice in a rebuild workshop when working with older wet liner & injector sleeved engines to use a product such as wynns or a similar product when dealing with minor leaks. Check that your coolant is engine compatible.
Old 23-02-2016, 20:20   #82

Well, I have finally visited our winter boatyard and replaced the copper sleeves for the injectors. As per the thread, I replaced the sleeves and O-rings as coolant was pooling at each sleeve.
For those doing this job here are some tips:

Make or find an injector remover (slide hammer). For this I welded a 12 x 1.5mm nut to a standard 1/2" nut. Then I screwed the 12mm nut to the top of the injector. Then screwed 12"x 1/2" threaded rod onto the top of that. Then got some iron reducing bushings to create a weight and then placed a washer and nut at the end of the rod. A couple of whacks, and presto. See photo of slide hammer.

Obtain proper Volvo tools (3).

I had a real hard time removing the O-rings. They were quite hard, nearly brittle and completely baked and useless. This was clearly the source of coolant leakage. Very strong probes were used to extract the o-rings. I had a vacuum running while poking and prodding.

When removing and installing the injectors and the return fuel pipe, I found the easy way to do this is to lower injectors in about 1/2 way (with retaining clamp), then attach the return fuel line and small bleed bolts and copper washers loosely. Once pre-assembled I lowered the assembly carefully into place seating the injectors and then torque to 14.7 ft lbs and tightened small bolts appropriately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volve 2003 Injector Sleeves - 1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	119496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Volve 2003 Injector Sleeves - 2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	119497  

Name:	Volve 2003 Injector Sleeves - 3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	119498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Volve 2003 Injector Sleeves - 4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	119499  

Name:	Volve 2003 Injector Sleeves - 5.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	119500  
Old 24-02-2016, 01:37   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ben View Post
Well, I have finally visited our winter boatyard and replaced the copper sleeves for the injectors. As per the thread, I replaced the sleeves and O-rings as coolant was pooling at each sleeve.
For those doing this job here are some tips:

Make or find an injector remover (slide hammer). For this I welded a 12 x 1.5mm nut to a standard 1/2" nut. Then I screwed the 12mm nut to the top of the injector. Then screwed 12"x 1/2" threaded rod onto the top of that. Then got some iron reducing bushings to create a weight and then placed a washer and nut at the end of the rod. A couple of whacks, and presto. See photo of slide hammer.

Obtain proper Volvo tools (3).

I had a real hard time removing the O-rings. They were quite hard, nearly brittle and completely baked and useless. This was clearly the source of coolant leakage. Very strong probes were used to extract the o-rings. I had a vacuum running while poking and prodding.

When removing and installing the injectors and the return fuel pipe, I found the easy way to do this is to lower injectors in about 1/2 way (with retaining clamp), then attach the return fuel line and small bleed bolts and copper washers loosely. Once pre-assembled I lowered the assembly carefully into place seating the injectors and then torque to 14.7 ft lbs and tightened small bolts appropriately.
Great to hear! Thanks for the info & pics.
I suspect I will be facing this before long-no leaks yet but...
I'm in a bit of a remote(from VP dealers) location & accessing the special crimping tool is my concern. I have a slidehammer bearing puller that I can use with your welded nuts adapter idea.

Cheers/ Len
Old 02-12-2016, 09:16   #84

UPDATE on Injector coolant leak...
After the replacing of the injector sleeves last February 2016 as shown above, come May when the boat was launched a slight coolant leaked was still occurring. In early July I did the job again hoping to stop the coolant leak. I still had leakage out of 2 of the 3 sleeves. In preparing for the winterization this fall I did the job again. This time I took special care to insure that I had completely flared the tip with the Volvo tool as when extracting the tool at the previous attempt the sleeve rotated which indicated that there was not a great fit. Anyways, after a third attempt this fall, I am still getting some leakage.

So, I called Crowleys' yacht yard (Chicago) and asked their Volvo tech what the trick is and whether they ever use any sealant. The response (third hand) was 'no sealant and if it's still leaking to remove the head and bring in to be checked for warpage'. I do not understand how warpage of the head would cause this point of coolant leakage. BTW, I have checked compression and it seems good (#1 365, #2 365, #3 355, 8 sec crank @ 60F, warmed engine). So, a mechanical engineer suggested I apply some rtv sealant (high temp & glycol and diesel safe variety) to the back side of the O ring groove as he states that's where the coolant is passing by. The O ring replacement is round and the groove for the O ring is square. Attached is an annotated page of the shop manual which helps show what I have in mind.
Any feedback or thoughts would be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2003 Penta-Injector sleeve.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	137338  
Old 02-12-2016, 11:18   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Ben,
If it helps at all, I feel your pain. Three tries is really frustrating. If you are doing this with the head off, then checking for any warp should be straight forward. At this point I don't see that you have anything to loose by adding RTV to the play. The leak is small, so the RTV may do the trick.

Looks like you are gonna have a new skill to add to your resume.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:24   #86

Hi Paul and thanks for your response.

I have not been removing the head for this project and I don't see a reason to do so, unless there is warpage or I wanted to do valve work. At this point I'm trying to avoid doing so. BTW, there is no external leakage of anything between the block and cylinder head.

Tags
heating, injector sleeves, overheating, penta, volvo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: