Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 13:15   #16

Re: Volvo Penta 2003 - Exhaust Restriction/Poor Water Flow

Guys, the OP says the engine is salt water cooled, it has no heat exchanger or FWC system.....
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:19   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Guys, the OP says the engine is salt water cooled, it has no heat exchanger or FWC system.....

Actually, the OP may not know the difference between a raw water cooled engine and a heat exchanger cooled engine.

Saltwater could just mean it’s floating in saltwater and that’s what it’s spitting out the back.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:22   #18

Boat: Adams 12

Olaf, although my cooling system is a 'fresh water' system, ie glycol through h/ex, my gearbox cooler is cooled with sea water and that was the cause of my water flow restriction and original over heating problem.
cjheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:26   #19
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

With any of the raw-water and/or coolant tubes that come apart be prepared to replace the O-ring seal proactively.

They likely will not seal back up again with the old seals when they are put back together. Might as well just replace every one you touch when they are apart. Or just go back and take it all back apart again and do it when you find they do leak. It's a puzzle and you have to do them in the right order. It's not a pleasant job even with good access.

Probably too late to order some online for this project but this is the best deal I've found.

BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 15:24   #20

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
With any of the raw-water and/or coolant tubes that come apart be prepared to replace the O-ring seal proactively.

They likely will not seal back up again with the old seals when they are put back together. Might as well just replace every one you touch when they are apart. Or just go back and take it all back apart again and do it when you find they do leak. It's a puzzle and you have to do them in the right order. It's not a pleasant job even with good access.

Probably too late to order some online for this project but this is the best deal I've found.

100% agree!! I believe there are 3 different part number rubber seal rings for the plumbing on the VP 2000 series. Years ago,I ordered several of each because my first repair using old existing rings resulted in the leaks you speak of. I also use a battery terminal cleaning brush (wire),similar to a baby bottle brush,to clean the sockets that the pipes go into. I use the battery post cleaner to clean the copper pipe ends to bare metal. Then,a dab of vaseline on the rubbers & no leaks.
Len
Old 14-02-2018, 15:28   #21

Some more links that may help anyone working on a VP 2000 series.

Engine zinc anode location https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzngz8ycu2...02003.jpg?dl=0

Service manual https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3yih5rsa2...anual.pdf?dl=0

Cooling system https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei0ui9tp6f...20Sys.pdf?dl=0

Engine Alarm & Dash Wiring https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yshxe6e1m...If1LdFGta?dl=0
Old 14-02-2018, 16:30   #22

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

My 2003 MMD2030 had this problem. The exhaust elbow was both blocked and corroded through. Replaced it with HDI stainless steel elbow, cheaper than stock and should last longer.
Also, the output port of the heat exchanger/ exhaust manifold was almost completely blocked where it mates with the elbow. I sent it to a radiator cleaner and when he took the scale off there was a leak into the water side of the manifold. This required replacing the manifold. ($1200US).
I observed that the new manifold has an oval exhaust port profile where it mates with the mixing elbow which has a round opening. The old manifold port has a circular profile, tapering to oval inside the manifold. The tapered area is where the manifold material was so thin that it corroded through. I do not know if the taper was part of the original manifold design, if somebody decided to modify the interface or if it wore into that shape but it sure caused a problem.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 16:45   #23

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwkevin View Post
I recently purchased a first sailboat and unfortunately had some mechanical problems get past my surveyor.
Shocker!!!!!!!!!
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 23:34   #24

Thanks for all the great info guys. My engine is the saltwater version without the heat exchanger. I went ahead and overnighted the stainless elbow so I will pray that does the trick, but I'm not feeling overly optimistic now that I have had a chance to read up on this more.

Not having replacement O'rings for other parts of the system is really going to complicate things. Anybody know of a source for at least the thermostat o'ring and the o'rings for the tube that connects the thermostat to the exhaust elbow? It looks like West Marine has to special order the seals so they wouldn't arrive on time. I would have to find something somewhere around Long Beach...

I have attached some photos. I do not see any form of strainer for the raw water intake which concerns me. It just runs from the seacock, to a T that feeds the dripless shaft, then into or under the transmission and off to the port side of the engine...probably directly to the water pump. Could this really be possible? Maybe this further explains the obstruction but I hope not. Also, does the raw water intake cool the transmission somehow or just run underneath it? I see that the hose running to the dripless shaft is probably underrated pressure wise...maybe the other ones are as well?

Please scour over my attached pictures and see if there's anything else you can spot. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4113.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	164193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4112.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	164194  

Name:	IMG_4137.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	164195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4140.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	164196  

Name:	IMG_4142.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	164197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4145.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	164198  

vwkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 23:44   #25

Well, apart from your engine being installed on its side on my iPad pics, there is some scale on the pipe connections so I would chase through these and the zinc.
I have re fitted my o rings with some waterproof grease in a pinch, may need some fiddling but got away with it.
My new o rings come from the state VP dealer whose shop is in the same village I live in!
Would be interested if someone has found an alternate source.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 00:18   #26

Step 1
Disconnect the hose after the raw water pump, just under the red vertical filter.
Start the engine and look if there water is coming out the hose. Don’t spray all over the engine!!!
What happens?
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 00:26   #27

If the seals are leaking afterwards, replace the old seals TEMPORARRY together with liquid gas kit. Chose a thick one how stay flexible.
Not perfect but ok for emergency.
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 01:04   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

well, the good news is the engine is raw water cooled which is much simpler.

I suggest you ask the mechanic to service the engine if there are no service records to show it has been done recently. Ask him to in addition to checking the exhaust elbow to check and replace the thermostat if necessary. Also the water pump and anode.

There would appear to be some leaks from the thermostat housing which needs sorting, but also thermostats used in saltwater don't last for ever because they are made from disimilar materials so replace it now to avoid further problems. Finally rig up a bucket with Rydlyme to flush through the cooling circuit.

http://www.apexengineeringproducts.c...dlymedescaler/

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 01:15   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:

I have attached some photos. I do not see any form of strainer for the raw water intake which concerns me. It just runs from the seacock, to a T that feeds the dripless shaft, then into or under the transmission and off to the port side of the engine...probably directly to the water pump. Could this really be possible? Maybe this further explains the obstruction but I hope not. Also, does the raw water intake cool the transmission somehow or just run underneath it? I see that the hose running to the dripless shaft is probably underrated pressure wise...maybe the other ones are as well?

Please scour over my attached pictures and see if there's anything else you can spot. Thanks!
You have the early type of fuel pump which has a wire mesh filter inside, but also a rubber diaphram. These pumps are now 30 years old so you may want to consider replacing the pump with the newer type as the service kit for the old one is a similar price. I did ours a couple of years ago and its a straight forward change.

Looking at the lack of raw water filters, well that is a disaster waiting to happen and could be that you have weed inside the cooling system blocking it up. You need something like this:

https://www.asap-supplies.com/econom...trainer-402198

The pipe to the shaft seal is supposed to supply water to the seal. However, since it is in the same circuit as the water pump it could be sucking water from the seal to the engine. It is a shambles. the cheap way around the problem is to repalce the seal with a Volvo Seal which doesn't need a water supply, just a 1cm blob of grease each year. They are also very cost effective at £60.

Dripless Shaft Seals - Buyer's Gude - Practical Boat Owner
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 01:37   #30

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info guys. My engine is the saltwater version without the heat exchanger. I went ahead and overnighted the stainless elbow so I will pray that does the trick, but I'm not feeling overly optimistic now that I have had a chance to read up on this more.

Not having replacement O'rings for other parts of the system is really going to complicate things. Anybody know of a source for at least the thermostat o'ring and the o'rings for the tube that connects the thermostat to the exhaust elbow? It looks like West Marine has to special order the seals so they wouldn't arrive on time. I would have to find something somewhere around Long Beach...

All in all,your 2003 looks very dry & good.

Since you are in a rush,try curing the problem without taking anything off the engine. I can almost guarantee you will need parts-seals,gasket,etc. if you do.
So-try to narrow down where the restriction is by removing hoses & checking output in the RW system.
The circuit is as follows :
In the seacock,thru the Tee,thru the gearbox & up to the bottom of RW pump. This is the suction side.
Remove the hose that comes from RW pump output & check flow at 1000RPM. Should be a good full pipe.

After the pump,there is a split in flow. When cold,water only flows into the front of the engine,along a perforated tube inside the engine & out the rear of engine,thru a copper tube & into the port side of the elbow. This path can build up crud.
There is no flow thru the T-stat until it warms up. Then you get a parallel flow thru that horiz. tube between T-stat & front of elbow.

See my earlier posts & links for exploded views.

Possible problems noted from your pics:

Pic 1. Img 4113

1. The raw water does indeed go thru a cooler built into VP gearbox & this is normal.

2. The water hose from Tee to Stuffing box is on the suction RW line.Usually this lube feed comes from the pressure side of RW system.
Suggest clamp it off with a vicegrip to see if RW flow is being reduced because air/water is being sucked from stuffing box.

3. Hose from TEE to gearbox is partially collapsed. Replace it with suction rated hose.

4. You should install a 3/4" - 1" RW filter ,above the waterline & between the Tee & gearbox in.

5. Check the thru hull/seacock for blockage,growth etc.
If you are organized.this can be done while afloat.

6.Double clamp all RW hoses.

7. Exhaust hose is partially kinked. These can collapse inside & still look good outside.

Pic 5 Img 4142
I've never seen a plug on the T-stat housing. Custom air bleed? Harmless,I guess.

Pic 6 Img 4145

Looks like a stock VP cast iron elbow-not SS. If you replace,recommend SS from HDI?.
You will need a new elbow to manifold gasket(get 2). The gasket is not re-usable & is hi-temp material.
Recommend replacing any rubber ring seals.
The 4 metric bolts that hold the elbow on can be corroded away & need replacing.

Pic 6 Check behind that metric plug just to right of T-stat for a zinc.
Check for a zinc plug below the alternator. Replace annually in RW cooled engines.

I get my parts from Volvo Penta Schematics - Marine Parts Express
because they are close & provide great online exploded views of engine.
But any VP dealer will be able to fix you up.

Good luck/ Len

Tags
exhaust, penta, volvo, water