Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2016, 07:45   #16

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Re: Volvo Penta 2003 Cold Start fuel enrich schematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What was the final solution? looks like I am going to print off this thread and take it down to the boat to see what is going on as I am sure I have the same problem.

Pete

Problem is standard - engine is old and some of the metal part inside the cold start/governor box need bending to actually start working again

e.g. you need to open the box and understand first how it works - not a easy job ! prepare for hours of thinking screwing and unscrewing the cap of the box...

after that start bending in very small turns and try, bent try etc. until you get it right and start hearing the click ....

I have no idea why volvo has designed so complicated mechanics for a boat engine which should just work in any conditions..

next time I have issues I will put and additional control lever with string and solve all this nightmare

my engine is on 1772h on the clock
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 13:09   #17

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

I had a related, but probably slightly different issue on our 2003T. The cold-start/shut-off lever on the mechanism became difficult to move, affecting both cold-start and shut-down. Pulling the lever arm and liberally dousing the shaft and bushing with penetrating oil (a few times) managed to fix the problem without having to delve deeper into the guts of the mechanism.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 14:02   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

VT, many thanks for the time you have taken to post on this. I think you have found the problem I also have and given me a good pointer to investigate when I get the yacht home in the Autumn.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 05:31   #19

Boat: Challenger 36

I have had similar issue. There is a washer/circling in the cold start mechanism that has a habit of coming off as it can weaken. And you need to check spring in mechanism is still connected and in the right alignment. After many problems I had a good mechanic(hard to find) repair it and has started perfectly for last 6 months. Also replaced worn injectors which has improved starting a lot.

Regards
PegasusIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 05:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusIX View Post
I have had similar issue. There is a washer/circling in the cold start mechanism that has a habit of coming off as it can weaken. And you need to check spring in mechanism is still connected and in the right alignment. After many problems I had a good mechanic(hard to find) repair it and has started perfectly for last 6 months. Also replaced worn injectors which has improved starting a lot.

Regards
re : Injectors - any suggestion how to change them - price , instructions , risks will be very appreciated!!!
Old 13-02-2017, 03:59   #21

Boat: Moody 34

Had the injectors removed in November on my 2003T. Volvo has no injectors, sleeves or nozzels on Stock. I had to order the nozzels from Bosch Central Stock in Stuttgart Germany. By removing the injectors you have to be very carefull not loosing the sleeve. Next problem when inserting the injectors after removel the sleeve must bei Clean in order to seal again. You should have an injector puller ....... If the sleeve becomes loose water can enter the engine (remove cooling fluid before removing the injectors).
Spare parts for the 2003 becomes a major problem. The head gasket kit ist available as a dechocking kit and cost is much lower as individuell parts
baltic sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 04:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltic sailor View Post
Had the injectors removed in November on my 2003T. Volvo has no injectors, sleeves or nozzels on Stock. I had to order the nozzels from Bosch Central Stock in Stuttgart Germany. By removing the injectors you have to be very carefull not loosing the sleeve. Next problem when inserting the injectors after removel the sleeve must bei Clean in order to seal again. You should have an injector puller ....... If the sleeve becomes loose water can enter the engine (remove cooling fluid before removing the injectors).
Spare parts for the 2003 becomes a major problem. The head gasket kit ist available as a dechocking kit and cost is much lower as individuell parts
take a look at this thread - I've already done the injector cleaning...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hs-179273.html

if you decide to repower ( as it may be cheaper then servicing old engine) this guys look very good :

Marine diesel engine supplier for inboard marine diesel engines for boats
Old 13-02-2017, 04:27   #23

also here :

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...03-174620.html
Old 12-11-2017, 18:00   #24

Boat: Mctintosh 42 ft. Ketch

Do volvo 2003 t diesels have glow plugs?
James Plyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 22:19   #25

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Plyler View Post
Do volvo 2003 t diesels have glow plugs?
No...
Old 13-11-2017, 19:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusIX View Post

Regards
If My Volvo 2003 T is warm it (cranks over fast and starts perfectly) when cold
it takes forever to get it to start sometimes not at all , new batteries good power to solenoid very slow cranking speed. Once started it runs great , very smooth. What is the decompression device I just noticed in my Work shop manual and how does it work? Anybody out there can help I would appreciate it. James Plyler
Old 13-11-2017, 19:57   #27

Quote:
If My Volvo 2003 T is warm it (cranks over fast and starts perfectly) when cold
it takes forever to get it to start sometimes not at all , new batteries good power to solenoid very slow cranking speed. Once started it runs great , very smooth. What is the decompression device I just noticed in my Work shop manual and how does it work? Anybody out there can help I wouldn't​ appreciate it. James Plyler
Are you using the Cold Start procedure for the 2003?
Old 14-11-2017, 19:24   #28

I down Loaded the owners manual and followed cold start procedure how about
that it started right up. I have had Dovekie for some time but usually ready for layup by now and we had a cold snap. Thank You
Old 14-11-2017, 20:55   #29

Quote:
I down Loaded the owners manual and followed cold start procedure how about
that it started right up. I have had Dovekie for some time but usually ready for layup by now and we had a cold snap. Thank You
Progress
Old 16-11-2017, 05:03   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
re : Injectors - any suggestion how to change them - price , instructions , risks will be very appreciated!!!

Don't touch them. Have diesel mechanic do it. You need caps for the injectors. Seal off the block and fuel lines. Pulling them can be very difficult. Easy job for any average to good diesel mechanic. Right equipment is the key. Give them to the best diesel injector refurbished and get them done properly. When ever you do you injectors you should also do the pump.
The efficiency improvement is awesome. Much more than changing spark plugs. You know that white or black smoke is all about the pump and injectors.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, penta, volvo