Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 01:44   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Volvo Penta 2002 Injector leaking Diesel up

Without knowing the specific model (and serial number would be better), the correct Bosch number would be a guess. The good news is that the Bosch number is almost always stamped on the injector, and will look something like this: 0432191839 (which might actually be the right number). Any tractor or diesel injection service shop should be able to check pop pressure, spray pattern and leakage for a reasonable fee. It would make sense to check both nozzles while you're at it...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:57   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Nautiwill,

Consider the known fact that Volvo Penta have a policy of raising the price of spares for their oldest model engines twice a year,To the point that many of us consider them to be unreasonably expensive. .............
"known fact" ? Or just a typical slam at Volvo? Your statement is unproven and more importantly, not related to the OP's problem.

To the OP:

Find an experienced Volvo mechanic and he will know exactly what is supposed to be where, how it goes back together and what, if any parts are missing. Your friend did you no favor by taking things apart.

Yes, it may be hard to find an experienced Volvo mechanic and it may be expensive but it will be cheaper and faster in the long run. We have to know our limits.
Old 01-02-2017, 23:28   #18

Boat: Coast 30

As I have posted On this forum before the only diesel I have ever owned is the Volvo 2003 that I purchased as salvage from a wrecked boat for $200 Canadian dollars and restoring it to working order cost about $4,000 dollars,
At the time of acquisition it was obvious that the exhaust riser would require replacement, Not being sure of success I held off on that investment until I had that engine running on test. The price of that same part was raised in price every six months. So NO! I am not trying to malign Volvo Penta.

Raj at Fred Holmes fuel injection... Address: 100, 13571 Verdun Pl, Richmond, British Columbia.
V6V 1W5. Phone:1+ (604) 273-7700. Rebuilt all three of my injectors for $457...which I believe is less than the list price of a single new one from Volvo Penta. Raj also loaned me a small slide hammer that they had made out of an old union nut and a long half inch diameter bolt. This made careful removal of the injectors very simple. It took them three weeks to source the parts for the rebuild due to the age of the injectors. While I would not advocate shipping injectors from Australia, They could be the source of the information you want.

After replacement the engine started on the second revolution whereas it would not work at all previously prior to starting the work they put the injectors on their test bed and demonstrated that the tips were burnt sending the fuel spurting in four directions like a cross. after rebuilt they sprayed a mist.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 00:04   #19

nautiwill,
Make contact, can help you with your situation. 43southdiesel@gmail.com
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:38   #20

Boat: Moody 34

I have a Volvo 2003T and had a leaking injector. The sleeve had to be changed or grinded. There is no shim underneath the enjector. The sleeves have to be absolutly clean. Had all three injectors out.
The polish mechanic overhauled the cylinderhead and build it all back together.

The previous owner glued with epoxy the injector, but it did not last.
baltic sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 13:56   #21

Wow, it's been a while but just for anyone with a similar problem who ends up here, I had the injectors serviced and that fixed the problem!
NautiWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 19:55   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Thanks for reporting the fix
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, penta, volvo