Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 18:35   #16

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36
Re: Volvo Penta 2002 Blow By

I think it is different stuff, but I'll check it out tomorrow at an auto parts store.

Doug
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:06   #17

My local auto parts store doesn't carry Bardal, so I checked out their website.

First off, I am NOT an engineer or chemist, and my opinion is just based on what I have seen happen in engines where I have used additives.

The Bardal website said that the "2" mixes with the oil and makes a "tough lubricating film" on the engine parts.

The Auto Restore has "stuff" in it that fills in worn/scratched parts.

I have never used Bardal 2, but I have used the Auto Restore. I have been very surprised at the excellent results I have gotten from Auto Restore - mainly a peppier engine and increased oil pressure (+ 3 to 5-lbs in a 6-cylinder gas Jeep engine with 225,000 miles) (also in a 4-cylinder gas Festiva engine where I ran it out of oil and the red warning light was coming on at idle. One can of Restore has gotten back enough oil pressure that the light never comes on at idle and the engine is running along OK)

I think - repeat think - Auto Restore might work better than Bardal 2, but that's only my opinion.

I would think - again think - for best results you should drain your engine oil and change the filter, then refill the engine with 40-weight oil and add a can of the Auto Restore. You'd be sort of chemically gluing your engine back together.....

At least that is what I would do to try and nurse the engine along until you can get to a yard/repair place.

Best of luck.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:47   #18

Use extreme care when trying to seat an injector with a hammer, even though others claim it works.

The bottom of the cylinder head is not too thick in the vicinity of the injector tip, and when heads crack it is often between the injector tip opening and a valve seat. Also be very careful that foreign material does not get into the injector.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:25   #19

I don't know where you are, but a very good condition, running take out VP 2002 engine, fresh water cooled, new exhaust manifold, but NO transmission, just came up on E-Bay.

Item number: 151854893152

$1,000.00 He will crate it up for shipping.

This might be your simplest way out of your problems!
Old 30-08-2023, 01:41   #20

I realise this message is ancient, but I wanted to add that parts and spares to cure this problem are still easily available in 2023. At least they are in Europe. I managed to buy everything necessary to refresh the top of the engine very easily.

I had blow by from the rear injector on my 2002, and after first trying to re-cut the injector seat with a cutting tool and adding a copper washer, we were still getting coolant leaking up past the sleeve O rings. Compression was well down, and the engine was not operating at it's best, and on one trip ot over heated. I suspected head gasket problems also.

Decided to bite the bullet and try and repair the engine rather than buy a new one, so went shopping for the tools and spare parts needed. Head off, remove and re-install new sleeves, and O rings, took the chance to re-lap the valves and clean a few things up. The head gasket kit came with all new rubber seals, gaskets, washers and bits.

After putting it all back together, and doing the valve clearances, she fired right up and runs much better than she ever has in my ownership. Probably not at full factory horse power, but seems reliable.

I am a keen home mechanic, certainly not a pro, but it's a very simple engine to work on, and with basic hand tools, and some time to head scratch and make cups of tea, I see no reason why anyone else couldn't get a few more years out of their old 2002 if it's suffering injector blow by, or head gasket failure.
MrGorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 13:05   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler

Hello - I have a Volvo model 2002, fresh water cooled diesel for sale, please contact me off list. Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arecuk View Post
guys,

on my cape dory 28, currently in honduras, I struggle with engine, volvo penta 2002

for a long time I know there is a problem with low compression as the engine did not start up without starting fluid ... so far, starting fluid did the trick ... I plan to overhaul the engine in mexico in november but I have to get there first

so whats happening ... there is a blow by at two places:
- rocker cover gasket - blow by and oil leak
- around injector, above locking nut - blow by and oil leak
- see attached screenshot please

the question is, how difficult it is to fix those two issues? can I do it as a non-mechanic? ... I think I can get here new cover gasket or use some special temporary glow but Im afraid of removing the cover as I could end up with non-working engine and that would be the worst situation ever

and regarding blow by around injector I have no idea whats wrong here ...

appreciate your suggestions, tomas
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo