Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2013, 15:37   #1

Boat: Dufour 36' Classic
Volvo Penta 120 SE Saildrive Cone Replacement

Can anyone offer any advice or even an exploded diagram covering the Volvo Penta 120 SE selector cone replacement? This is the top section of the gearbox not the lower saildrive section.

Our gearbox is struggling to go into neutral or we think it is in neutral but notice prop wash either forward or more normally in reverse. The morse mechanism and cables are fine, we disconnected these and tested the saildrive manually the selector indicated that the box was in neutral, when we revved the engine the selector shifted itself into reverse but was extremely difficult to get back into neutral and virtually impossible to get into forward. We believe that this means the cones are worn and require replacement but do not really know where to start due to the lack of information on this particular model.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Magnum
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 16:03   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Volvo Penta 120 SE Saildrive Cone Replacement

Check the sliding sleeve for wear or burning. It is part #22 in the attached diagram. You can find all of these diagrams at marinepartsexpress.com

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Upper Gear Unit.pdf (176.3 KB, 1374 views)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 14:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Check the sliding sleeve for wear or burning. It is part #22 in the attached diagram. You can find all of these diagrams at marinepartsexpress.com Mark
Mark, many thanks for your response unfortunately I couldn't find anything attached to your post and have searched marine parts without success, plenty of diagrams but not for the 120SE. Regards Doug
Old 22-10-2013, 16:01   #4

Really? I can see the pdf file with the exploded schematic in my post just fine. It is a download you need to click on, not an embedded picture.

I bet it automatically saved itself on your computer somewhere - check your normal downloads folder.

I got the picture off of Marinepartsexpress, so don't know why you couldn't find it.

Send me a pm and I will email it to you.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 23-10-2013, 00:13   #5

Quote:
Really? I can see the pdf file with the exploded schematic in my post just fine. It is a download you need to click on, not an embedded picture. I bet it automatically saved itself on your computer somewhere - check your normal downloads folder. I got the picture off of Marinepartsexpress, so don't know why you couldn't find it. Send me a pm and I will email it to you. Mark
Dear Mark, re-checked your post and oddly still can see no attachment, it could possibly be because I use an iPad(?), I'll contact the administrators to find out what I am doing wrong. My email address is doug@gracefamily.plus.com. Have you, or anyone else reading this thread, experience of removing the sliding sleeve and the cones? Can we get to it without lifting the boat out of the water and removing the saildrive? Is there any danger of loosing anything down the leg of the gearbox, I.e. Woodruff keys on the cones? Regards Doug
Old 23-10-2013, 00:47   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Dear Mark, re-checked your post and oddly still can see no attachment, it could possibly be because I use an iPad(?), I'll contact the administrators to find out what I am doing wrong......
Regards Doug
Hi Doug
I am using an iPad (with the iOS 7.0.2 update, not quite the latest).
I have no problems seeing or opening the attachment.

Perhaps just restart the iPad? I have found odd glitches can get instantly fixed doing this .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 18:21   #7

Yes, there is a way to replace it from inside the boat without pulling and disassembling the drive. There are no woodruff keys, etc. I will email you the schematic and some instructions.

Mark

Old 26-10-2013, 08:17   #8

Quote:
Yes, there is a way to replace it from inside the boat without pulling and disassembling the drive. There are no woodruff keys, etc. I will email you the schematic and some instructions. Mark
Great advice you sent over Mark, thank you very much for your help and the diagram, it is very much appreciated.
Old 26-10-2013, 15:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi Doug I am using an iPad (with the iOS 7.0.2 update, not quite the latest). I have no problems seeing or opening the attachment. Perhaps just restart the iPad? I have found odd glitches can get instantly fixed doing this .
dear Seaworthy Lass, I have updated to the latest iOS restarted the iPad , yet still cannot see the attachment (Mark kindly emailed it so this isn't an issue) can you suggest any other security settings on the iPad which may prevent me seeing attachments, I can see photo's on other posts. Regards Doug
Old 26-10-2013, 21:03   #10

Quote:
dear Seaworthy Lass, I have updated to the latest iOS restarted the iPad , yet still cannot see the attachment (Mark kindly emailed it so this isn't an issue) can you suggest any other security settings on the iPad which may prevent me seeing attachments, I can see photo's on other posts. Regards Doug
I just checked. The problem seems to be with the Ipad app. I con not see it in the app, but it is there when using the web browser.
I've had troible previously with some of these apps sites have had written for their users. I've stopped using many of them.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 23:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
I have worked out the problem I think.
You must be using the app, not the website. The app has lots of restrictions, one of which is viewing attachments like this.

Go to:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nt-113842.html
and download the attachment from there.

I will let tech support know. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 15:46   #12

I just thought I would upload some photographs an link to a couple of YouTube videos which show the internal workings of a Penta 120S saildrive. We managed to pick a second hand saildrive the same as ours off of eBay for £67 this has enabled us to make a tool following Marks advice in this thread, which will hopefully allow us to disassemble our gear shaft whilst the saildrive is still in-situ. Looking at an exploded diagram doesn't fully explain the gear selection process, you have to get in the gearbox and see first hand how it all works, hopefully the photographs and videos will help others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3853255959.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	69973

This photo shows the top of the gear shaft and the two retaining clips Mark indicated needing removal with a special tool, he was quite right about the difficulty in pressing the lock washer down enough to release the two lock ring halves, the problem is the end float on the shaft, we are modifying the tool we made to take a threaded rod which we intend welding onto the top of the shaft.

Name:	image-1668087683.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	69978

The above shows the lock washer after the lock rings were removed.

Name:	image-1121096815.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	69979

This photo shows the sliding sleeve in position between the forward and reverse gears, also the shift mechanism which holds the plunger and dog that moves the sliding sleeve on the drive shaft to engage forward or reverse.

Name:	image-691813765.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	69980

The above shows the shift mechanism removed, with the plunger and dog. If we are doing this removal in situ we must be careful not to allow the dog and plunger to spring out as we unbolt the mechanism from the upper gear body.

Name:	image-268322882.jpg
Views:	1489
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	69981

The above shows the sliding sleeve after it's removal.

I will try and link the videos from YouTube in my next post.
Old 06-11-2013, 15:54   #13

http://youtu.be/rWYZ8iPuHIQ

The YouTube video from the above link should show the sliding sleeve which has been removed.

http://youtu.be/D8nkoGnmLU8

This link should be to the video which shows the dog and attached shift mechanism moving the sliding sleeve up and down the shaft engaging either forward or reverse gear.
Old 06-11-2013, 17:06   #14

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
While we're discussing the 120 sail drive, any opinions on when to replace the bellows? Volvo says after 7 years. Nigel Calder says plenty of older boats are still on the original bellows. Our boat has twin 2001 vintage 120 sail drives with original bellows. I hate to fix something that ain't broke, but I don't want to deal with a failure, either.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 18:00   #15

Ours are 15yrs old and I'm not worried. I have one next to me right now that was taken off a 2001 boat and it looks brand new. They are very thick rubber. I have yet to hear of one failing - not withstanding those that were damaged due to rocks, etc punching them up.

Volvo says 7 years, Yanmar says 5 years. Funny, I just looked at an old Yanmar boot two days ago and it looked like new also.

Without a catastrophic event that punches the drive straight up into the boat, the age-failure mode on these will be gentle. You would notice water weeping through a small crack or pinhole and have lots of time to decide when/where to get it fixed.

I will probably replace ours for good measure in the next few years if we decide to head across the Pacific. By then it will be close to 20yrs old.

Mark