Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2014, 07:58   #1

Volvo MS15A-A transmission problem

In forward gear the clutch will engage, the shaft turns, but when I increase the rpm there is often no power and no increase in shaft rotation. Backing off the rpm and the clutch engages with a clunk and sometimes will stay in forward gear. This problem is getting worse. The cables are ok, the lever travel is correct, the shaft is not loose and the prop is fine. The transmission is fairly new 3years old. I have changed the fluid. I suspect I am no the first with this problem, could someone shed some light for me and give me advice. I am hauling the boat in Grenada next week.
Rob Stokes
Leopard 38 Riff Raff
Bahamarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 21:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.
Re: Volvo MS15A-A transmission problem

does the transmission acts the same while on reverse gear?
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:42   #3

No there does not seem to be any problem with reverse gear
Old 01-05-2014, 06:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

your fwd discs are worn that's why you don't have problem while it is engaged on reverse
Old 01-05-2014, 07:28   #5

Thanks for your advice, is this something that can be repaired by a reasonably competent mechanic in Grenada?, obviously the transmission will need to be pulled and put on a bench presumably the forward discs can be obtained from Volvo.
Rob
Old 01-05-2014, 08:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

dear Rob if you are asking if i know a mechanic i am sorry i don;t know , i am from Greece based on Samos island
about the transmission the only thing you have to be careful is the backlash gap of the thrust washer that the manual recommends you to have.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

sorry misunderstand , yes a mechanic can make this job it is easy.
Old 18-07-2016, 05:42   #8

Boat: Cuddles Flybridge 30 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamarob View Post
In forward gear the clutch will engage, the shaft turns, but when I increase the rpm there is often no power and no increase in shaft rotation. Backing off the rpm and the clutch engages with a clunk and sometimes will stay in forward gear. This problem is getting worse. The cables are ok, the lever travel is correct, the shaft is not loose and the prop is fine. The transmission is fairly new 3years old. I have changed the fluid. I suspect I am no the first with this problem, could someone shed some light for me and give me advice. I am hauling the boat in Grenada next week.
Rob Stokes
Leopard 38 Riff Raff
Hi Rob and others. I currently have exactly the same problem with my Volvo Penta MS15A-A gear box and I am wondering how or if you solved the problem. The mechanic removed the gear box and replaced the clutch plates with new ZF parts but when the gear box was refitted, I ended up with the gear box failing again. Its still slipping in and out of gear. Reverse is fine, prop and shaft good, cables good. Our latest attempt was to remove the selector arm and check the cam (teardrop shape) that pushes the clutches forward and reverse. It appears to be worn but nto sure if its the problem. Has anyone else had the same problem and managed to solve it. Particularly interested how you remedied it Rob Stokes? Look forward to any replies or suggestions.
Cheers
Hugh
Huggy1_3 is offline   Reply With Quote