Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 08:43   #1

Volvo MD2B operating temperature??

I have a rebuilt raw water-cooled 25 hp Volvo MD2B in my Friendship sloop. It runs fine, but I am unclear as to what is the optimum operating temperature for the engine. I tried emailing Volvo, but they haven't resonded. I've searched the net and have come up with a range between 110 and 170 degrees F. Quite a range! Can anyone help narrow down the the temperature it should run at under load? At what temperature would one start to do damage? I do daysail charters with the boat in Belfast Maine and do not run much on any given day. But at the beginning and end of the season I have a big push up/down the Penobscot and naturally the engine runs hotter on the big run. But what is too hot?
amity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 16:47   #2

as this engine is with fresh water cooling without heat exchanger, temperature should not go higher than 164 degrees F
thermostat should start opening at 140 degrees
if temperature goes higher than this, the salt in the seawater will cristalise and eventually block the cooling system
these engines are built to run for days without stop
a good indication of right engine temp : when it is running for some time, you should not be able to hold your hand on the cylinder, but ou shouldn't really burn yourself either
hope this helps
Bossers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2b, volvo