Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-08-2015, 20:32   #1

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Volvo MD2030 Raw Water Pump problems

A few weeks ago one of my motors started getting hotter than usual running temp but still had water from the exhaust.I removed the mixing elbow and heat exchanger and cleaned them as best as possible away from a port.I also started to change the impeller but broke a head off one of the screws so left as was until in port.Put it all back together and it has run a bit cooler and producing water at the exhaust but less than the other motor.
Now in a port so decided to fit a new impeller and replace broken screw which I have now successfully done.BUT now there is no water at the exhaust.Checked all lines for blockages including sea water pickup and all appear OK.
I have primed the sea water strainers and feed lines thinking there may be an air lock.To check if it's actually pumping I pulled the feed line to the heat exchanger from the pump and there is no water from the pump at all.
Next step is to pull the entire raw water pump but is there something else I can check prior to doing this?
PS
Does anyone know where I can purchase in Australia none genuine mixing Elbows and raw water pump.

Old 13-08-2015, 21:29   #2

Re: Volvo MD2030 Raw Water Pump problems

Check that impeller drive boss bonding has not let go allowing drive shaft to turn within the impeller. If a non original face plate join has been used check thickness as this is critical.

Old 13-08-2015, 21:43   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

Similar issues for me with the same engine. My water strainer didn't seal properly, therefore the impeller didn't get the vacuum to pull the water up.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-08-2015, 01:16   #4

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Thanks .
I tried three impellers and checked and bypassed the strainer to no avail.
Decided to pull the plate off the other engine ,(discovered under the paint its a Johnson and not a genuine Volvo),and try that and bingo success so put the problem plate back on the Johnson and it works .
So I am now on the hunt for Johnson pump and non genuine mixing elbow.
Old 14-08-2015, 02:51   #5

Try Diecon Engineering Brisbane for both items or All Marine Spares Sydney. A lot of Johnson and Jabsco parts are interchangeable.
Old 14-08-2015, 04:12   #6
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Hope you have better luck with mainland Johnson pump outlets than the state distributor here in Tas. They carry almost nothing in the way of parts other than impellers .

Back to your problem, is your pump end plate sealed with an o'ring or a paper gasket?
If the o'ring is too squashed, it won't seal properly and air gets in and pump wont work. If the o'ring is not squashed enough, tthe water gets passed the impeller blades and pump won't work either.

Same goes for the paper gasket, the thickness and integrity of gasket is critical. Too thick or broken, pump won't work.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 17:10   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Thanks .
I tried three impellers and checked and bypassed the strainer to no avail.
Decided to pull the plate off the other engine ,(discovered under the paint its a Johnson and not a genuine Volvo),and try that and bingo success so put the problem plate back on the Johnson and it works .
So I am now on the hunt for Johnson pump and non genuine mixing elbow.
The original is a Johnson pump. Johnson builds it, with a proprietary flange for Volvo...who just paints it green and doubles the price. Johnson wont normally sell you the pump directly.

Try removing the face plate, opening the sea cock, and see if water flows. If so, you may have something simple, but often hard to isolate, like a vacuum leak upstream.

How old/worn is the inside of the pump body?
Old 14-08-2015, 17:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The original is a Johnson pump. Johnson builds it, with a proprietary flange for Volvo..
I don't think it is the flange that is proprietary, but the tapered keyed shaft for the gear.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 04:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't think it is the flange that is proprietary, but the tapered keyed shaft for the gear.

Mark
IIRC, that flat square flange is peculiar to Volvo. I've found the exact same pump available from Johnson, but with a different flange. I don't think the same square flange is available direct from Johnson...otherwise I would have bought it. Haven't compared the shafts.
Old 15-08-2015, 06:19   #10

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Jabsco also makes a R/W pump for the MD2010, 2020 and 2030, that uses a different impeller but (obviously) has the same offset mounting flange and drive gear.
Old 15-08-2015, 07:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Jabsco also makes a R/W pump for the MD2010, 2020 and 2030, that uses a different impeller but (obviously) has the same offset mounting flange and drive gear.
Do you have a model number or link for that?
Old 15-08-2015, 09:01   #12

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Actually, there are two, one for the MD2010,2020 and one for the MD2030 and 2040. Either will fit on any of the four engines but the water flow is less on the pump for the 2010 and 2020 than for the pump for the 2030 and 2040, which could cause cooling problems.

Jabsco numbers

29350-1001 MD2010- MD2020, 1 9/16" x 3/4" impeller
29450-1101 MD2030- MD2040, 2" x 7/8" impeller

I discovered this because I have 2 MD2020 engines, one with a Jabsco pump and the other with a Johnson. The Johnson is more equivalent to the larger Jabsco, and pushes so much water that it can force the seawater into the freshwater side if one has even a slightly clogged exhaust elbow or too much exhaust pressure. I put a valve in the hose between the R/W pump and the heat exchanger to be able to regulate the flow...

Also, Jabsco seems a bit prouder of their pumps than Johnson.
Old 15-08-2015, 10:22   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
The Johnson is more equivalent to the larger Jabsco, and pushes so much water that it can force the seawater into the freshwater side if one has even a slightly clogged exhaust elbow or too much exhaust pressure. I put a valve in the hose between the R/W pump and the heat exchanger to be able to regulate the flow...
Interesting. I've always felt that the Johnson pump used on the MD2030 was a bit under-sized, flow-wise.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 16:27   #14

Quote:
Actually, there are two, one for the MD2010,2020 and one for the MD2030 and 2040. Either will fit on any of the four engines but the water flow is less on the pump for the 2010 and 2020 than for the pump for the 2030 and 2040, which could cause cooling problems.

Jabsco numbers

29350-1001 MD2010- MD2020, 1 9/16" x 3/4" impeller
29450-1101 MD2030- MD2040, 2" x 7/8" impeller

I discovered this because I have 2 MD2020 engines, one with a Jabsco pump and the other with a Johnson. The Johnson is more equivalent to the larger Jabsco, and pushes so much water that it can force the seawater into the freshwater side if one has even a slightly clogged exhaust elbow or too much exhaust pressure. I put a valve in the hose between the R/W pump and the heat exchanger to be able to regulate the flow...

Also, Jabsco seems a bit prouder of their pumps than Johnson.
Thanks. Good info. Will take a look at those.

I've had my standard pump on an MD2020 force salt water into the fresh water side (not good, don't like those damn rubber Volvo cuffs). Something intermittent caused it. Was fine after then run....except much later for the thermostat and housing area that I did not flush adequately. Tstat would have been closed when I flushed it, thus trapping some salt water, should have torn down and flushed initially...not pretty when I finally did disassemble.
Old 08-11-2015, 13:15   #15

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I remember seeing a recommendation for impellers for the Volvo 2030 somewhere. I think it was for Johnson brand. I can't find the link. Does anyone here (Mark?) know the best replacement impellers for these engines. I need to order spares. Thanks

Tags
md2030, raw water, raw water pump, volvo, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: